What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a daunting task ahead. I need to start finishing off my Eagle Rare 17 and Sazerac 18 so I can make room for the new Antique Collection. Woe is me.

Finally broke down and polished off the tiny bit of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 I've had sitting in the cabinet for a long time. I definitely forgot just how good this stuff was!

BMH 14yr Lawrenceburg. I hate it when posts on here prompt us to empty a lonely bottle!

Dawn

ORVW 15 followed by Blanton's.......a couple of excellent pours of each to help me wash away memories of the Ohio St-Texas game earlier in the evening. Oh well, at least I got to see my Dawgs hang an "L" on Spurrier tonite. That is something always worth celebrating!

Started the evening off with a healthy pour of WT101. Then I switched over to a nice EWSB, followed by an ETL. I just rounded out the night with another WT101, and the circle of life is complete.

Last night I decanted a Michters Ice Wagon decanter from 1979. The room filled with the most incredible fruity smell.....reminded me of juicy fruit chewing gum. Had a taste. This stuff is absolutely delicious.

Joe :usflag:

Had a couple of healthy pours of Rare Breed earlier. Wonderful whiskey. I ought to have some of this months BOTM WT 101, but I might have some of last month's instead. I got my Hirsch late in the month and didn't post on it. Haven't made up my mind yet, I suppose. Not that I didn't like it, i did, it's just that I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Ed

Well, this is our 'season of celebration'. My and my wife's birthdays and our anniversary (and grandbaby's birthday and son-in-law's birthday etc etc :grin: ) all in a two month period, so I cracked open my once a year bottle of Tribute. Amazing stuff.

Cheers,

Ken

I polished off a bottle of ER 17 that's been hanging around since its release last Fall. Got an instant reminded why it had remained unfinished for so long.... way, way over-aged. The oak overwhelms everything else.

A reminder why the ER SB is a much better and more balanced pour ---- to say nothing of a better bargain.

I got my Hirsch late in the month and didn't post on it. Haven't made up my mind yet, I suppose. Not that I didn't like it, i did, it's just that I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Ed,

Where the gold foil is concerned, your opinion and mine are about the same. If you ever come across the gold wax (or, presumably, the blue wax bottling, which I've never tasted), I hope you wont let your lukewarm response to the gold foil prevent you from tasting it.

BTW, it's never too late to record your observations for posterity in the BOTM thread.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Old Charter, Proprietors Reserve, 13 yr old. This is a mighty tasty beverage.

Absolutely... one of my top ten favorites!

Had a Manhattan tonight with the Pikesville Rye. I seemed to enjoy it better in the Manhattan, rather than straight. Followed up with a couple of Maker's after dinner. EVERY time I go to this I expect to be dissapointed....But, I NEVER am! I know we wish it was aged more, there are other wheaters supposedly better and cheaper, it's all marketing...yadda yadda yadda. But my takeaway from this is always that it is not only good, but very good whiskey. I'm sorry I'm going to miss the MM Tour this week. :frown:

JOE

Joe, I think you could make a great Manhattan with 2:1 Maker's to Pikesville. Some might like 1:1 but the former would be better I think.

Gary

Joe, I think you could make a great Manhattan with 2:1 Maker's to Pikesville. Some might like 1:1 but the former would be better I think.

Gary

Thanks for the tip Gary. I'll try it tomorrow, 2:1. Let you know what I think.

:toast:

JOE

Old Weller 107. This bottle is the third one that I have been successful in finding. For the high proof that it carries, It has great flavors and a slight burn that I find almost refreshing.

Black maple Hill rye 18yo...my first try with this. I was REALLY wowed with my first sip. Caramel and a little smoke. My second sip and third sip betrayed me. It took on a totally different profile. Not sure if my taste buds went south or what, but I'm going to try it again after the festival.

Tonight, I revisted my Ezra B 15 yr. I had forgotten how good this one is. Absolutely massive butterscotch and caramel here. As I type this, I can smell these attributes from my glass 2 feet away. I tend to really like bourbons with strong butterscotch and caramel, but I can't recall any other that has them like this one does. Delicious!! :yum:

JOE

Tonight, I am having one of my biggest personal celebrations in recent memory. My company announced that they were entering into a merger with another, similar, company in late May. Ever since, I have been under fairly serious stress wondering whether I would keep my job for more than a few months.

Well, today I was given an official announcement which, among other things, stated that I will indeed have my job with the future combined company. :woohoo: Hence, my personal celebration.

Just having reached a point in my evening where I could relax and have a nice drink, I had to choose. My first choice was Rock Hill Farms, but I wanted this drink on the rocks and I do not drink RHF on the rocks. After considering Elmer T. Lee and Henry McKenna 10-yr BIB, I finally decided on Wild Turkey Rare Breed. And it was a very good choice.

I am de-stressing. My stable life can continue. Oh, happy day!

Tim

Good for you Tim! You must have had a tough Summer. Glad to hear things have worked out well. I don't have any Rare Breed to raise with you, but when I celebrate something, it is with my Pappy 20. So, I'll toast you with that.

:toast:

JOE

I opened a bottle of WT 8yr old to celebrate with you. Must not be my night to celebrate. The cork fell apart....ugh! It must need air....

I'll bring it to the gazebo and let Tim and Dane decide!

Dawn

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!