What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been purchasing a bunch of old commemorative bottles of Old Fitzgerald Prime of eBay. It's amazing to me the difference between this '60s vintage bourbon compared with today's stuff. My Pappy 15 does resemble it some, though it's more refined.

I am enjoying a fine after-dinner pour of Ridgemont Reserve 1792. I've only had one other bottle of this previously, but I saw this at Chuck's in Bowling Green on the way to the KBF, and couldn't pass on the $20.95 price. I'm glad I didn't. Hints of tobacco and leather, but not heavy. A touch of crushed ice to cool it down really adds to the flavor. Wait... here comes a little licorice on the finish...AHHHH. Very nice.

JOE

havin' some knob creek with a touch of water, seems to bring out the maple taste. a real nice pour!

very old barton 80 proof, not sure if I enjoy the 100 proof, but I know for sure the poker boys tasting group won't think this one is too harsh.

Well, it isn't summer anymore ;), but I'm trying out some ORVW 10/107 for the first time.

Well, what can I say - it's a Van Winkle, all right. :toast:

To me, it tastes a bit older than the age statement, with a nice hit of sweetness up front, some wood in the middle, a long finish that melds the two, and a bit of spiciness that runs from beginning to end.

It's not as sweet as Weller Antique, and Weller Antique doesn't have quite the spice or wood of the ORVW. Of course, if you asked me if I wanted one or the other, my answer would be "yes." :slappin:

It's Buffalo Trace tonight. I loved BT when I first tried it a couple of years ago, but something happened in the last year or so, when I was getting a very undesirable and "musty" taste with it. This was over about 4 bottles, from different retailers, in different parts of the country. So, it went beyond just a funky bottle. I was just about to give up on it. But, I am very happy to proclaim that the last 2 bottles I have had have recaptured that bright, clean, taste that I always liked. And this pour tonight is no exception. Glad to have you back BT!

:toast:

JOE

Tim, all I can say is that I could remember how good it was to me, and that everything else BT makes is so superb. I have to say, it got to the point that I just thought I must be going nuts. So, my hope was that it would come back to what it was. And, it did! Or, maybe I did :D

Just finished a nice pour of Booker's, I am following with a Knob Creek and plan to have a Basil Hayden before the end of the night. I guess it's a Jim Beam night here.

Cracking open the Four Roses Single Barrel...as good as I remembered.

Man, I gotta get to Kentucky and get hold of some Four Roses. I STILL haven't had any. I will hold out until I move to Ky though. I vow, here and now, that I will not taste FR until I move to KY and it will be the first bourbon I drink once I am there. I vow.

I do not have any of the Four Roses, but before you move to Kentucky....

We need to get together for a drink or two.

I am enjoying a pour of EC18.....I love this bourbon! I am having it neat and find sitting in the glass it really changes over time....gets almost stronger sitting in the glass, however it remains smooth on the finish, which seems to last longer with each sip I take. Lots of oak!

I said I wasn't drinking for a while, but what the hell, it's Friday night, and that's good enough for me!:lol:

I think I'll be reaching for the Blantons Gold next (103 proof) and see what that brings, it has a much sweeter smell than the EC18. Can't wait!

Scott

I dug out the bottle of Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve I bought in Chicago for tonights pour and then decided to also get the OC 12 yo (which I figured out must been bought in Louisville, not Chicago, I was bummed, harder for me to get).

My first sampling of OCPR and I noticed a light nose and full, full flavor. Carmel, sweet, some vanilla and again full bodied.

The OC12yo which I had just tried a few nights ago for the first time and now revisiting. GREAT nose! Carmel big time. However, very subtle flavors that also exist in the OCPR but not that full body. I really do enjoy the nose on this one though.

Tonight was WT 8 YO and WT 101. WT 8 was a small bit better, just a bit smoother and sweeter. Followed by two Sazerac 18s. Nice night if you ask me!

Although we won’t hear of any fallout until Monday at the earliest my most recent project at work went live today and I think it will do well; I could think of no better reward for myself than a nice big snifter full of George T. Stagg. I poured the 2004 and it’s just as excellent as the last time but I think tomorrow this bottle is going to the back of the shelf. Once it’s gone it’s probably gone forever. :/

OGD 114 to start the engine and then ORVW 15/107 to keep it running smoothly.....a good way to start the weekend.

I reached for the Blanton's Gold last night after the EC18. This is a beautiful bourbon! At first it didn't have the strong alcohol notes that I found with the EC, although they did develop with time. I found the Blanton's, although higher proof than the Elijah, was easier to drink...it went down very easy indeed. Not as much wood and more sweetness, especially on the nose. I will keep this for special occasions or celebrations!

Scott

Happy Birthday to me. So I am having a pour of Pappy 20, and might take the cover off of my Tribute box later and get into it.....Besides your birthday only comes once a year..

Getting a late start, Clint (worked today/tonight), but promise a pour of 2002 OF Birthday Bourbon in your honor after I trudge to the gym. Thanks for the excuse.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!