What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

VG 90 aka the Fox. I think this reminds me a bit of the FRSB, with its lightness of body and the subtle undertones of mint and spice. A solid base of caramel with almost zero wood. I think I like this more than I remember. Not a big bruiser or a multi demensional dram, but a solid easy to drink everyday pour...now if only the price was a bit more in the everyday pour range. Drop about $7 off the bottle price and it'd be there.

I'm finishing up with good ol' WT 101, after a pour of Glenlivet 12yo French Oak Finish.

On my third tasting in the last few days of a recently purchased Old Fitz BIB. I had never tried this before, but had read some good things about it here. And, ya'll weren't kidding! This is really good whiskey. I'm now wishing I had bought more than the one bottle while in Kentucky last month. I'll have to go slow on this bottle then, but there is something not quite right about "savoring" a $14 bottle of bourbon. But, then again, that's the beauty of Bourbonia, ain't it!:D

JOE

Tastes do change...I tried Van Blankle a while back...liked it a bunch. Revisited Van Winkle lot "B" in my stash, which I previously had mixed feelings about and low and behold it was very much to my liking.

No accounting for tastes.

I'm having my first taste of Eagle Rare 17yo fall 2002 (thanks to Dawn's very generous offer). I'm not in a take it apart and analyze it mood, but I will say that I get a Carmel and candy nose. Taste seems and a little candy-ish, and a little smoke (I don't know that smoke is right, antique flavor, I'm not sure what leather is, but this might be it, smoke doesn't seem quite to fit).

I know I really am enjoying it.

I'm going to comment here on what a fine group of people are here. I've enjoyed the company and the tastings beyond what I ever could have imagined. I hope I can return some of the favors (I'm working on it). Thanks to everybody, I am REALLY appreciative.

As I sit in a hotel (again) in Cincinnati, I've decided to work my way through a few pours of Knob Creek. Could it be the loneliness or the wonderful Gemutlichkeit of the Comfort Inn (And Suites!!!) but this tastes particularly wonderful tonight. Smoky with a nice bite.

Maybe its the taste of my own wounds that are improving the flavor. My employer's stock dropped 18% today, along with my nest egg.:smiley_acbt: What else can go wrong this year? :smiley_acbt: I guess the slide could continue tomorrow. That would be nice.

The good news. I left work, after 13 hrs and had an incredible meal at Boca in the Oakley neighborhood of Cinci. Killer!!!! Great Food and a wonderful pre-meal cocktail.

At least I have a decent High Speed Connection tonight.

I am enjoying some Blantons. There are three bottles that I had very high expectations of; Stagg, Sazerac and Blantons. Stagg and Sazerac because they are commented on so favorably here. The Stagg met and probably exceeded my expectations. I have yet to open my one bottle of Sazerac.

Blantons marketing has worked on me. I have seen it sitting up there on the top shelf, that unique looking bottle with that unique price ($51.65) which puts it just out of my reach for what I would normally spend on a bottle. I have read some nice comments about it, but nothing really remarkable.

I sat down and relaxed and really nursed this pour. It had the rye smell that I enjoy so much, and maybe some clover with a hint of caramel. My first taste was fine, maybe a little disappointing. By the end of the glass I was pleased. I found the spice at a nice level that didn't beat me up or cover the other flavors.

For me, I don't think it compares to the other higher $$ Bourbons I have had (Bookers, Stagg, PVW 15 or 20) and I would buy those bottles again over this one if I was in the mood to spend the money. Of course that was tonight...maybe next week it will hit me better.

In WA State (They don't have Stagg here) for me the best pour over $45 is the PVW 15. I still have not tried Rock Hill Farms ($45.85) or Black Maple Hills ($56.45) and I don't see myself ever dropping the $210.50 they want for PVW 23. Every once in a while on a good payday I might pick up one of these as a treat to see if it wows me...Long story short I guess is that for the $$$ Blantons did not wow me yet.

Old Charter 12. All caramel all the time, with a little bit of smoke. Not much else, but sometimes that's plenty.

Took a pour of Buffalo Trace, yet another one that I initially didn't care for that much. Much to my liking tonight.

I made a manhattan last night with 4 parts Rittenhouse Rye BIB, 1 part M&R sweet vermouth and about 5 shakes of Angostura bitters, shaken with ice, in a chilled glass. It tasted exactly like pumpkin pie.

To make sure I wasn't mistaken, I had another.

Last night I had a respectable pour of Van Winkle Lot B (Stitzel-Weller) with a Costa Rican Puro. Simply outstanding.

Joe :usflag:

Costa Rican Puro..

By any chance was that cigar a Bucanero Treasure Maduro? If so

I concur and have 3 boxes in my humidor. Currently drinking Rittenhouse BIB.

TGIF.

Attending a wedding out of town, the wife and I without the kids. Taking along a bottle of Lot B, and a travel flask of Weller107.

I'm debating about having a small pour of Pappy Rye before I take my 4 year old to a Pizza and game arcade for a friends birthday party. I may wait and have the whole bottle after I get back.

By any chance was that cigar a Bucanero Treasure Maduro?

No, it was a Don Tuto but I'd love to know where to get those Bucaneros.

Tonight I had a good pour of Pappy Van Winkle 15 and a Padilla Obsidian. Both were outstanding. The 15 was like the Lot B only there was a lot more (flavor) there.

So far tonight, and the night is FAR from over (terrible week at work) I had a couple of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirits over a Havana El Rey Del Mundo. The pains of this week have already started to disappear.

Now if Randy Johnson can pitch a good game.....

Attending a wedding out of town, the wife and I without the kids. Taking along a bottle of Lot B, and a travel flask of Weller107.

Uh Oh...The WIFE... out OF TOWN...AND NO KIDS!...Did I read you were 48? Should've taken the Maker's!! I have it on good authority from BOTM that it does wonders at wedding receptions!!:70358-devil: :D

Have a great time, and by the way, I bought my new bottle of Maker's today!:D

:toast:

JOE

I am proud to announce that I had "man" dinner tonight. I had a 32ounce steak (slow cooked over bourbon barrel chips. yummy) washed down with a healthy '92 EWSB pour. Desert was a '05 GTS. Yep, man dinner.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!