What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It doesn't feel like summer 06 any more...pouring rain for a couple days here in the Seattle area. I am relaxing over a pour of PVW20. It took me a long time to open this bottle. For me that was a lot of $$ to spend on one bottle and I kept waiting for the right time.

I have developed a somewhat morbid tribute with it. I pop the cork every time I go to a Police Officer who was killed in the line of duties funeral. Since purchasing it (last Feb) I have had only had a couple drinks, a little send off toast to my brothers in blue. We wear black bands on our badges when an officer gets killed and we don't take them off until the funeral...I keep my black band around the neck of the bottle.

I hope the bottle lasts a long time...sure is a nice drink, very mellow. To me slightly sweet, caramel, with a slight woody flavor. Not over powering, very smooth.

A worthy send off for sure.

Hello T47. I am humbly touched by your tribute to your fallen comrade and especially so since I was also drinking a pour of PVW20 when I was reading your post. So here's a toast to you and your brothers in blue. The tribute could not have been better than with the PVW20.

bj

Eagle Rare 101. My first sample of this delicious nectar. I had 3 unopened bottles that I collected based on comments posted on this forum. I know where an other bottle is (hopefully it will not be sold). I will try to get it.

This bourbon is worth far more than what it costs.

Taking 3 bottles. EWSB 96, OF Birthday Bourbon ( My Best Man turns 50 ) and a Blantons. Saturday through Wednesday, times such as these need to be celebrated in style.

Tonight I'm having the Benchmark Single Barrel, discontinued several years ago. Ken Weber said that right after BT decided to kill the brand, it won several competitions. I can see why....its a cross between Blantons smoothness and BT's slight earthiness. Fairly straightforward.....not much wood.....pie spice on the finish. Runs about $22 when you can find it. Not a bad pour at the price.

Randy

After being laid low for several days with a cold that made me not want anything with alcohol, I have finally recovered enough to have a few drinks. After a couple of gin-based cocktails (Martinez/Plymouth and Flying Fish/Sapphire), I decided to do something completely crazy.

I mixed a Red Hook with Fall '05 Stagg, aka Hazmat II. Why not, after a stressful, but successful day at work?

Although the maraschino liqueur and Punt e Mes (along with my touch, peach bitters) are clearly present, the Stagg's character is very much in evidence, even if it's toned down a bit. This drink makes its way into Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster territory. ;) :yum: :falling:

If someone mixed one up for me without me seeing what went into it, I'd definitely be able to tell that it has Stagg! :yum: Believe it or not, this is the very first time that I've ever mixed a cocktail with GTS - and man, it's a doozy! :woohoo:

Tonight I'm having the Benchmark Single Barrel, discontinued several years ago. Ken Weber said that right after BT decided to kill the brand, it won several competitions. I can see why....its a cross between Blantons smoothness and BT's slight earthiness. Fairly straightforward.....not much wood.....pie spice on the finish. Runs about $22 when you can find it. Not a bad pour at the price.

Randy

Randy, this is indeed good stuff. I picked one up a couple of years ago, but didn't open until I found another stash in Tennessee, where I was able to pick up a few more. Now that I have been going to it on a regular basis, I really like it. It reminds me of the AAA 10 Yr, but with more depth and polish. As I taste it now, you nailed that BT earthiness. Almost chewy. Only 1-1/2 inches left in this bottle. Probably won't make it through the weekend...:(

:toast:

JOE

Joe...I've seen a few others on the shelves in Houston. I'll buy them next time I'm there. You're description of AAA 10yo is also a good one....its basically the smoothness of AAA10yo/Blantons and the earthiness of BT's regular bottling.

Randy

Randy, did Ken say why they discontinued it? And, I wonder what the barrels that they would have used for it, ended up going into? Maybe Blanton's? The mysteries of Bourbonia continue...

JOE

Per Ken's statements, Id guess they stoped bottling it in 2000/2001. It tastes so much like Blanton's to me.......but my gues is that it has ended up in BT because of the slight earthines. I'll bring a bottle to the next Gazebo.

Randy

Tonight, and many nights recently, I enjoyed a Manhattan with Ancient Ancient Age 10yr at a 4:1 ratio (not quite 1, maybe .9), with some Orange Bitters, NO cherry. MMMMmmm

I tried to get my wife to like Manhattans for years, and it looks like my efforts have finally paid off, as she now asks for them with no prompting from me!

Tonight, I decided to conduct a little taste test of my own along with the better half. Since I am not tipping the glass on GTS 2004/131.8, I have been rendered unable to be able to share any thoughts on the experience. I should have written it down as we went along.....but, I suppose that would have been of little use since I would not have been able to write legibly or read it at this point! That's my life.....bite off more than I can chew!

Anyhow, this was the cast of the evening show in the order of 'sampling':

Elmer T Lee

Blanton's/5-2-05 (my birthday and the best of the group IMHO!)

1792 Ridgemont Reserve

Eagle Rare 101

George T. Stagg 2004/131.8

My better half bowed out after the 1792 RR. As for me, I might start over again at the top......or, at least finish off the Blanton's which is down to the last trickle. Not to worry though, I have another one waiting in the wings and will be getting another tomorrow while it is still $39 on a local special.

Well, better sign off now.....the keyboard keeps moving out from under my fingers!

OC PR has been a longtime favorite of mine and gets little airtime on this list. Sadly it's unavailable in my area.

-Kevin

OC PR has been a longtime favorite of mine and gets little airtime on this list. Sadly it's unavailable in my area.

-Kevin

It is a terrific bourbon, but I think there are two reasons for it's low profile here. First, it isn't available in alot of places. It's simply hard to find. Second, it's pricey. Though I have seen it cheaper in some places, it typically carries a price tag in the low to mid $30's. That being said, I always try to have a bottle around as a treat.

JOE

Last night I cracked open one of the 200 ml bottles of Very Old Barton BIB that Tim generously gave me at KBF. Wow! Believed to be from the early 1990s (is that right, Tim?), they taste decidedly different from the current edition. It is unquestionably older whiskey but it seems different in other ways too, creamier perhaps. More testing to come.

Thanks, Tim.

I posted a review on the other board of a bottle from the same era. I find them very good and even stylish. One (that I had acquired last year) had a pleasant spearmint-like top-note. These current ones (all bottled '94-'95) seem deeper and softer than that one and the current bottlings, creamy is a good word. I am not sure about the age though, I thought they may be younger than what is in the current BIB.

Gary

I am on my 2nd pour of the current BOTM WT 101. Warming, sweet and spicey at a very fair price...

Can it get any better?

...Believed to be from the early 1990s (is that right, Tim?)...

Yes, as Gary notes (he got some, too), these bottles are from '94 and '95. Bill Friel did a bit of a double-take when handed several to sign after his Hall of Fame induction. He would have distilled it, of course, and I suspect that label design isn't seen around much anymore.

You're most welcome, Chuck. I knew you like the bottling, and was reasonably sure you'd find it interesting.

He did seem genuinely honored that we asked him to sign them. As I was headed for the gazebo, Tim puts one of these bottles in my hand and I got Bill to sign it. I didn't realize until just now that this was an older bottling. Now I want to drink it, but I also want it as a momento.:confused:

...I didn't realize until just now that this was an older bottling. Now I want to drink it, but I also want it as a momento.:confused:

Not to worry, Jeff -- I have one or a dozen more. Okay, just counted -- I have one AND a dozen, 13, more.

Keep the memento -- I'll bring you a 'drinker' next time.

Not to worry, Jeff -- I have one or a dozen more. Okay, just counted -- I have one AND a dozen, 13, more.

Keep the memento -- I'll bring you a 'drinker' next time.

Ah, that's what I was fishing for:lol: Thanks Tim, and I'll find something interesting to repay the favor :toast:

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. Very nice bourbon - much smoother than the VOB 100 proof I had earlier this p.m. Maple syrup on the nose. More distinct than some maple syrups that I've tried. Last pour in the bottle. Will definitely be replacing at earliest convenience.

Tonight it's a wee pour of RHF with my sister before a Chinese takeout.

I bust my ass in the gym enough so I'm gonna enjoy some crispy shredded beef and salt and pepper squid.

There is a small chance that I may inbibe yet another RHF post dinner - in fact who am I kidding, it's a sure thing!

Old Weller 107. I like this bourbon very much. I am struggling a bit to articulate what flavors I am tasting, but at least I know that I like it!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!