Collectors Corner. What you got?

Glen Mhor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Glen Dew I know is vatted. Not saying the name didn't go through some variation like Cardhu recently did but I'm over 90% sure.

I thought Glen Dew 12yo 40% came from a highland distillery and was a single malt,are you sure AVB?I gonna doubt now...

Eric.

We`re not talking about the same thing here,Glen Dew is a housebrand from a Dutch importer,their range consist all regions of scotland under the name Glen Dew.Thank god it`s not another scandal like Cardhu.

Eric.

The Glen Dew (vatted) and Heather Dew (blended) were two releases that contained whisky from the North Port Distillery amongst others. To the best of my knowledge they both were Scottish bottled and sold products. I'm not familiar with the Dutch Glen Dew.

Maybe Dougdog will fill us in with some label info so we'll know which he has.

No photo, but here is my collection, with number of bottles on the far right..FYI, the post started with a disussion of Glen Mhor. I have only had one expression, and here is my tasting narrative (read, long winded notes).

Sm

Glen Mhor 23yo 1978 (56.6%, Scott's)

July 4th, 2007. This has been open a few weeks, but I have not taken notes yet. Nose: Gentle malt, slightly smoky Mouth: Oh, this is very good. Nice and malty, cookies, followed by smoke. Then a dray cookie quality. Some dry oak towards the finish, mild spices. Complex, but in a very understated way.

Ardbeg 12yo 1992 (50%, Old Malt Cask)

Ardbeg 1990 8YO (46%, Murray McDavid)

Ardbeg 16yo Airigh Nam Beist (46%, OB)

Ardbeg Uigeadail (54.2%, OB, bottled 2004)

Ardbeg 10yo (43%, OB, 2005)

Brora 1981 21yo(46%, Signatory, Cask 1586, Bottled 2003)

Bruichladdich 10yo, (46%, OB, 2006, with "Free Glass" in canister)

Bruichladdich 20yo "Flirtation" (46%, 0B)

Caol Ila 8yo (58.1%, G &M, 1999/2005, Binny's exclusive)

Caol Ila 12yo (43%,OB, circa 2005)

Caol Ila 1990 (56.2%, Signatory Vintage, Cask04/549/1, Bottle 9/268, Natural Color)

Clynelish 1993 9yo (43%, Signatory Vintage)

Glenfarclas 12 yo, Gift box, 2006, prior label)

Glenlivet 21yo (43%, OB, 2006)

Glenlivet 1979 27yo (43%, D&M Aficionados' Club-Macillops)

Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva Havana Rum Finish (40%, OB, circa 2006, not US version)

Glenfiddich 21 Havana Reserve Rum Finish (40%, OB, 2003)

Glenfiddich Rare Malt (40, OB, 1.25 Liter, Duty Free, 1980s)

Highland Park 18yo (43%, OB, circa 2006, old bottle)

Highland Park 1977 Bicentenary (46%, OB)

Highland Park 25yo (48.1%, OB, 2007)

Lagavulin 12 y/o Special Release 2004 (58.2% OB)

Lagavulin 16 (43%, bottled circa 1993, White horse)

Laphroaig 1999 (58%, Signatory Vintage, Cask Strength, 03/25/1999-08/23/2006, Cask 06/643/1)

Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%, OB, circa 2005)

Laphroaig 30yo (43%, OB)

Linlithgow 1975 28yo (45%, Blackadder)

Linlithgow 1975 24yo (49.7%, Signatory Vintage)

Port Ellen Vintage 13yo Distilled 1982 (43%, Hart Brothers)

Port Ellen Vintage 1979 (43%, Signatory, Butt 5537, Bottled 2002)

Talisker 10yo (45.8%, 2004 Map Box)

Talisker Double Matured 1992 (45.8%, OB, Bottled 2005)

Talisker 175 Anniversary Malt (45.8%,OB, 2005)

Same Glen Mhor as I have and your notes are close to what I remember from the last time I tried it. I hope to get a different version at some point.

I don't have any pics, but I just picked up a nice bottle: Cadenhead Laphroaig bottling, 12 years old, distilled 1984, bottled 1996. Cask strength, of course.:cool: It was in a pretty crummy store, and the guy knew it was a good bottle, but still had it priced below most Cadenheads I spot around here.

A few other cool bottles include a Talisker 12yo 86.8 proof from back in the day (it even has the Johnnie Walker logo on it), a 16-yo Bowmore from predominantly bourbon casks (from Binny's single-barrel selection), a Murray McDavid "Leapfrog," a Laphroaig they had to bottle under a different name following a dispute with Allied, and a Signatory Ardmore distilled 1992 (i.e. coal-fired stills), bottled at 92-proof and unchillfiltered.

I guess I'll continue with my Balvenie collection. Here's the 1964 Vintage Cask.

Only 158 of these.

post-1020-14489813409774_thumb.jpg

I don't have any pics, but I just picked up a nice bottle: Cadenhead Laphroaig bottling, 12 years old, distilled 1984, bottled 1996. Cask strength, of course.:cool: It was in a pretty crummy store, and the guy knew it was a good bottle, but still had it priced below most Cadenheads I spot around here.

A few other cool bottles include a Talisker 12yo 86.8 proof from back in the day (it even has the Johnnie Walker logo on it), a 16-yo Bowmore from predominantly bourbon casks (from Binny's single-barrel selection), a Murray McDavid "Leapfrog," a Laphroaig they had to bottle under a different name following a dispute with Allied, and a Signatory Ardmore distilled 1992 (i.e. coal-fired stills), bottled at 92-proof and unchillfiltered.

That Talisker is very, very hard to get. Cadenhead Laphroaigs are very, very good, at least the two that I have had. In general, Cadenhead it an outsanding independent bottler; and 50 percent is really about my favorite strenght for SMS.

Also, to date I have not had a binnys barrel selected SMS that was not at least very good (I have had mostly Caol Ila, but Laphroaig as well).

What a great thread. I'm sorry I'm late. Great stuff AVB; Balvenie's are some of my favorites. I may have to start getting some of the rare ones. Will check the local Binny's tomorrow.

Here's my special bottles. Another Bowmore dragon; I haven't opened it yet. HP 30, too.

HPB30s.jpg

Here's a tough one to find: Lagavulin Distiller's Edition. A friend found a dusty bottle in a London liquor store basement. I got a 2nd one on ebay. The Talisker DE is available here.

DELagandTallbls3x3.jpg

I don't have any pics, but I just picked up a nice bottle: Cadenhead Laphroaig bottling, 12 years old, distilled 1984, bottled 1996. Cask strength, of course.:cool:

Nice work, Tim. Speaking of Cadenhead, I finally picked up that 21 yo '74 Caol Ila I'd had my eyes on. At the same stop, I grabbed the Premier Malts 31 yo '75 Longmorn as well. Now I can't decide which to open first. I may need your help. ;)

10481.jpglongmorn31crop.jpgLongmorn31detail.JPG

Just read in the new Malt Advocate that Lagavulin Distiller's Edition may be coming stateside. I called the PR place, but they didn't call me back. I'll try again soon.

Nice work, Tim. Speaking of Cadenhead, I finally picked up that 21 yo '74 Caol Ila I'd had my eyes on. At the same stop, I grabbed the Premier Malts 31 yo '75 Longmorn as well. Now I can't decide which to open first. I may need your help. ;)

10481.jpglongmorn31crop.jpgLongmorn31detail.JPG

Well, if you are somewhere where the evenings are cold, break open the Cadenhead's Caol Ila. I have had 14 expresions of Caol Ila, but never one from the 70s. I hear they are a bit bigger and oilier than the 80s malts and on..That works for me..but then again, old Longmorns can be just amazing...they are malty and big enough to really hold the oak for a long time. The best I had was a D and M botteling 31year old..stunnning..Where, by the way, did you get they Cadenhead?

Thanks for the helpful info on my bottles, drrich. A cold snap has in fact blown into town, so I've got that Caol Ila in my sights.

I'm probably going to save the Longmorn for a group tasting down the road.

As for where I got the Cadenhead, I can only say it was in Texas - I'm not done with that particular store just yet. :bandit:

• 8 months later...

Hello Gang! (Mier,AVB,Frodo AND ALL)

Time for new whiskey Photos of my collection coming shortly.

I have been ill for a good few month, but i am now back, well and healthy(ish).

My newest member in my whiskey collection is a bottle of Bushmills 400 year celebration / anniversary. weighing in at 46%. It is a Crystal Malt whiskey and is suppose to be very smooth. I will add a photo later today or tomorrow.(can not find the cable for my web cam )

My next buy will be a Greenore 15 year old limited edition single grain whiskey that just have been released. I have one bottle reserved for me, now i ONLY have to pay for it. :skep:

I am Glad to be back and i am Super Happy that my thread is still going so strong with over 3722 viewers. Whom would have thought!..

:cool:

Glen Mhor

I found the Cable to my webcam!

So without futher a due here is the Bushmill 400 year anniversary Crystal Malt. I have not had the pleasure of tasting this whiskey myself. i did a great sacrifice, went from pub to pub trying to find a pub that had this bottle in stock so i could sample it and report back to all of you's. :toast: I had no luck!

so....if any one of you have sampled the Crystal malt i would like to hear it!

Glen Mhor :cool:

post-2729-14489814321463_thumb.jpg

post-2729-14489814321678_thumb.jpg

I found the Cable to my webcam!

So without futher a due here is the Bushmill 400 year anniversary Crystal Malt. I have not had the pleasure of tasting this whiskey myself. i did a great sacrifice, went from pub to pub trying to find a pub that had this bottle in stock so i could sample it and report back to all of you's. :toast: I had no luck!

so....if any one of you have sampled the Crystal malt i would like to hear it!

Glen Mhor :cool:

I've had it. It's quite nice, but wouldn't be my favourite. I know lots of people that really love it, though.

Hello again!

Just as i thought i had no more "Gem's" to show you, i realized i have another 3 bottles of newly bought whiskey's in my collection...

I Did show you the Bushmills 400 year anniversary bottle and that was my last addition to the collection, but i bought 2 bottles of Mackmyra (Swedish whiskey) Limited Edition. They did release 6 different editions and so far i have managed to get hold of edition 03 and 06. (maybe one day i stumble on 01, 02, 04 and 05) :skep:. Do anyone of you have any of these ?

I am intrigued by this whiskey (i think it is the first Swedish whiskey), but i have not had the pleasure of sampling this. Sad, sad...

The Preludium 03 edition is a sherry and Swedish smokey Single Malt whiskey, stored in Swedish oak barrels. From what i hear, this whiskey is very young and have quite a high burn factor with a taste of peat....unsure how peat'ed. it is stored on sherry cask for the last part of maturing before bottled.

Never the less, it is a welcome edition in to my ever growing collection

Enjoy the photos... :rolleyes:

Glen Mhor

post-2729-14489814323776_thumb.jpg

post-2729-14489814323987_thumb.jpg

Long time no see Glen Mhor,Swedens first whisky was a local blend from Skippets distillery(closed 1966)but Mackmyra is the first single malt,two other groups try to start a distillery but till now without much succes.

I`ve tried the 03 and all i can say it is very young,the oak is Swedish giving it a diffrent taste a bit raw-ish,further it has spicy tones and a taste like burned soil,not unpleasant,a bit smokey but a minimum of peat.Some nice citrus tones and a dry finish.

I am some closer by home, concentrating on the low countries, Belgium and Holland have released 7 whiskies until now varying between 3 and 10 yo and surprisingly very tastefull,still young but a great potential if the distilleries have time and money to have it matured some longer.

Distilleries in Germany are on the rise too had some samples that were promising,singlr grain,rye,single malt and even a bourbon type.

World peace trough whisky(one dram at the time:grin: ).

Eric.

Hello Mier!

Lots of water has past through the canals of Netherlands since the last time i was here. Great to hear from you. I have good news for you. Remember we were talking about whiskey tasting if i came to the Netherlands. I said i Would bring a bottle of Red breast 12 year old if i did get over there. GOOD news ...I bought 2 bottles of Redbreast 15 year old the other day so when i am coming over ( might be a few month until then) to the Netherlands i garantie that i will bring one bottle of the 15 year old Readbreast with me, for you and me/and my girlfriend to enjoy.

Hope you do not mind? :slappin:

Glen Mhor

Redbreast 15 year old the other day so when i am coming over ( might be a few month until then) to the Netherlands i garantie that i will bring one bottle of the 15 year old Readbreast with me, for you and me/and my girlfriend to enjoy.

One of my personal Holy Grails.

You three enjoy that now, y'hear!

I always wanted to try that too. I find the 12 good but it has a fairly pronounced waxy-like taste that must be acquired, I think. I feel a few more years in barrel might modify the taste just that little extra to make the palate more appealing.

Hello Corvalliscracker!

I f you are in the neighborhood when we go to the Netherlands, then you are more than welcome to join us for a quick swigg of the Holy whiskey Grail.... :cool: but it is a long way to go for you. Oregon USA ?

Here is the Mackmyra Preludium 06 i have have in my collection. It is suppose to be just like the other one (03) but this one have a toffe vanilla nose on it aswell. Enjoy the photos. Mier might have the tasting notes for this one?

Glen Mhor

post-2729-14489814325778_thumb.jpg

post-2729-14489814325978_thumb.jpg

Hello Gillman !

I Might make the wrong assumption here..But i think the 12 year old you tasted would have been the 12 year old Readbreast bottled in the 1970-80. that whiskey was stored in old sherry casks that had past their sell by date and the result was a very oily waxy taste....however they retail now at around 500 dollar a bottle (300 Euro) and is a great piece of whiskey history. I have tasted it....it was not my cup of tea! (I have a photo of it here in this thread in an earlier post)

:pope:i think all of them Readbreast are Holy Grails

The 12 year old that is now bottled and sell at 50 Euro a bottle is not waxy in comparison to the 1970 bottle, and i have many times enjoyed one shot to many..lol . imo... But taste is different so i might be talking out of my hat.

:grin:

Glen Mhor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.