Collectors Corner. What you got?

Glen Mhor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

AVB !

You are one special dude with special "gems" popping out of your sleeve like a magician pulling rabbits out of his hat. How do you do that? where did you buy that Glenlivet Vintage 1972, bottled in 1998 and how much did it set you back to buy. Am i right or is the bottle a 20 cl bottle or is my eyes getting old and cloudy so i can not see properly.

Have you tasted it? is the bottle still intact....when is the party? :cool:

Give us a bit of history behind your bottle.

i just got a new whiskey of my girlfriend. She gave me a bottle of Yamazaki single malt. Not at all as fancy as the Glenlivet....but it is welcome in to the collection...it might end up on the drinking shelf . :skep:

Nice seeing you again and it is nice to be back with like minded people again.

Glen Mhor

The 1972 is one of 5 bottles that came in a set that was released in 1998. The others were the '67,'68,'69 &'70 versions. The cost back then was about $170 for the box of 5 20CL bottles. Now you'd be lucky to find a set for $600. This one is still sealed.

The current single malt intventory, unopened bottles.

Ardbeg 12yo 1992 (50%, Old Malt Cask)1Ardbeg 1990 8YO (46%, Murray McDavid)1Ardbeg 16yo Airigh Nam Beist (46%, OB)1Ardbeg Uigeadail (54.2%, OB, bottled 2004) X1Ardbeg 10yo (43%, OB, 2005) X3Bowmore 17yo (43%, OB, 2006)1Brora 1981 21yo(46%, Signatory, Cask 1586, Bottled 2003)1Bruichladdich 10yo, (46%, OB, 2006, with "Free Glass" in canister)1Bruichladdich 20yo "Flirtation" (46%, 0B) X1Caol Ila 8yo (58.1%, G &M, 1999/2005, Binny's exclusive)1Caol Ila 12yo (43%,OB, circa 2005)1Glenfarclas 12 yo, Gift box, 2006, prior label)1Glenlivet 12yo (43%, OB, 2006)1Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva Havana Rum Finish (40%, OB, circa 2006, not US version)1Glenfiddich 21 Havana Reserve Rum Finish (40%, OB, 2003)1Glenfiddich Pure Malt (40, OB, 1.25 Liter, Duty Free, 1980s)1Highland Park 18yo (43%, OB, circa 2006, old bottle)1Highland Park 1977 Bicentenary (46%, OB)1Highland Park 25yo (48.1%, OB, 2007)1Lagavulin 12 y/o Special Release 2004 (58.2% OB)1Lagavulin 16 (43%, bottled circa 1993, White horse)1Laphroaig 1999 (58%, Signatory Vintage, Cask Strength, 03/25/1999-08/23/2006, Cask 06/643/1)1Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%, OB, circa 2005)1Laphroaig 30yo (43%, OB)1Linlithgow 1975 28yo (45%, Blackadder) X2Linlithgow 1975 24yo (49.7%, Signatory Vintage)1Port Ellen Vintage 13yo Distilled 1982 (43%, Hart Brothers) X3Port Ellen Vintage 1979 (43%, Signatory, Butt 5537, Bottled 2002)1Talisker 10yo (45.8%, 2004 Map Box)1Talisker Double Matured 1992 (45.8%, OB, Bottled 2005)1Talisker 175 Anniversary Malt (45.8%,OB, 2005)1

The 1972 is one of 5 bottles that came in a set that was released in 1998. The others were the '67,'68,'69 &'70 versions. The cost back then was about $170 for the box of 5 20CL bottles. Now you'd be lucky to find a set for $600. This one is still sealed.

I know the location of a full size (750) bottling of the 1969 in absolutely pristine condition (with the wooden box and brass plate on the box still has the protective plastic on it). I'm sure it's not cheap, but it's sitting in a locked glass case with no exposure to sunlight and there for the taking.

~tp

YEP!

I swallowed the hook with worm and all! lol

Give it to us......how much....i speak to the bank tomorrow..

Glen Mhor

Getting New " Gems" added to my collection on saturday.

will of course keep you updated. :cool:

AVB!

Thank you for your reply to my question. I always like information about individual bottles. Much to learn out in cyberspace.

Glen Mhor that bottle of yours is an attractive buy..imo

I've always liked Green Spot Irish much more then any of the Redbreasts I've had. Odd since Mitchell & Son buys bulk from ReadBreast and then stores it themselves. Whatever they are doing they are doing right though. My grail for Irish is the Bushmills Millennium Malt of which I ration quite judiciously. I know I'll never replace it but I want to make it last as long as I can.

post-1020-14489814360003_thumb.jpg

AVB & Glen Mhor,

I wasn't attempting to 'hook' anyone with my posting about the 1969, simply putting the info out there. As I said, I'm sure it's not cheap, but it's sitting in a locked glass case with no exposure to sunlight and there for the taking. The bottle is in a very old 'dusty' shop where I've made a few purchases. However, I've learned the hard way NOT to draw attention to "dusty's" by asking shopkeepers the prices on known valuable bottles unless I'm prepared to make the purchase right then and there. As I'm sure has been experienced by all, if you draw attention to an old-stock, dusty bottle, the price can certainly go up quickly, if not on the spot.

I haven't been dusty hunting in quite some time, but would be happy to visit the shop again in the next week or so. From my notes, there should be a few nice bottles I can pick up and also inquire about the Glenlivet 1969 (I'm assuming it's still there...) on your behalf if you'd like.

Please let me know.

~tp

Hello Mier!

Lots of water has past through the canals of Netherlands since the last time i was here. Great to hear from you. I have good news for you. Remember we were talking about whiskey tasting if i came to the Netherlands. I said i Would bring a bottle of Red breast 12 year old if i did get over there. GOOD news ...I bought 2 bottles of Redbreast 15 year old the other day so when i am coming over ( might be a few month until then) to the Netherlands i garantie that i will bring one bottle of the 15 year old Readbreast with me, for you and me/and my girlfriend to enjoy.

Hope you do not mind? :slappin:

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor look at this site www.whiskyfestival.nl it is november and i can tell you it is worth the money.Perhaps you can still order tickets.And off course your girlfriend is welcome too,perhaps she can convert my wife...?

Eric.

Mier ! :cool:

Just so you do not think i am joking, im supplying Photographic evidence of our bottle below. The one to the right is the one we will drink....the other ones are for my collection.

Also, my girlfriend do not share my passion for whiskey, so i think you and me HAS TO finish that bottle between us when we meet..the girls can watch, if they do not like this whiskey ..lol...I am sure both of them drink wine...:rolleyes:

I would like to go to that festival....I do not have a clue what it is saying on that website you gave me, but it is whiskey orientated. I do not read dutch...lol

Glen Mhor :grin:

Mier ! here it is.....

Pc trouble and the lack of understanding is a wonderful combination.

Like i said, the right side bottle is ours when i come to the Netherlands.

Have a good one!

Glen Mhor

post-2729-14489814360766_thumb.jpg

Hello Everyone !

Today i got myself a bottle of GREEENORE 15 year old Single Grain Whiskey. Being a single grain whiskey it is light and goes down to quick on a sunny day in the back garden. However It is a worthy bottle to keep in my collection as it is an good quality Irish whiskey and a (semi) limited edition of 5000 bottles.

This is the tasting notes from this bottle:

Nose: Its soft sweet corn with a hint of vanilla, honey and Oak

Tasting: Melt in the mouth richness,silky smooth honey start combining with fresh almonds and spices, a hint of barley for good measure.

Finish: warm honey taste lingers in the mouth with a dry finish.

I have finished off about 5 bottles of the 8 year old GREENORE last summer. they are great on summer party's and BBQ's..

But it is not a malt whiskey! and i am still alive after drinking it.:slappin:

post-2729-14489814361971_thumb.jpg

post-2729-1448981436221_thumb.jpg

Mier !

I would like to go to that festival....I do not have a clue what it is saying on that website you gave me, but it is whiskey orientated. I do not read dutch...lol

Sorry Glen Mhor they used to have a section in American too but they seem to have removed it.It is the website from Whisky live Leiden,it is held in a church in my hometown and it is big in that way that the distillers themselves come to here also a lot of writers you can see and talk to.I can recommand it,possibly the only time you can drink something else than wine:icon_pidu: there.

Eric.

Yesterday I got one of the gems of my collection. The nice part is that it was totally unexpected, I never thought I've get a bottle under number 50 since they were released in May and I didn't get mine until July.

1976 Balvenie Vintage Cask, Bottle #2.

post-1020-14489814365307_thumb.jpg

post-1020-14489814365538_thumb.jpg

Bottle number 2 ! :bigeyes:

I think the closest to number one i have ever come is number 28 of any limited edition or single cask....IT IS SO UNFAIR...LOL :slappin:

You deserve it! well done .....it must have drained your economy a fair bit. how much ?

Glen Mhor

AND NOW TIME FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT !

This is not a whiskey ....but it is in my collection nevertheless. I have Got a Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum (Black seal Rum, Bermuda Blend). This is bottle 6 of 2198....AVB, I said i did not have anything close to bottle number 2,,,,but now i do!..lol. I bought it yesterday. I would love drinking this one, but knowing me, i will not!

It won the San Francisco WORLD spirits Competition in 2005 Double Gold. maybe i should just drink it.

Glen Mhor

post-2729-14489814369853_thumb.jpg

post-2729-1448981437008_thumb.jpg

one is open! and one is "Stashed" away......where did you hide it....i want it..lol.. Can you mail me a shot? ha ha... dip the stamp in the whiskey and i lick it when i get the post card..:slappin:

We are to alike you and me...i have now started to buy them in three's. I have 3 redbreast 15 year old...one if for me and Mier whenever i will get to Holland/Netherlands. soooooon i hope..

Glen Mhor :cool:

I can't afford to buy stuff in threes usually but the deal I got on the Laphroaig was too good to pass up. I picked up 9 at $190 each (after taxes!) a few years ago. Sold 6 to my friends at cost and kept the remaining three.

We are to alike you and me...i have now started to buy them in three's.

Glen Mhor :cool:

AVB...

You bought 9 bottles of Laphroaig at 190 dollar "a pop" ? :cool:

that adds up to a load of money to pay out in one go..wow. you must have been in a good position at the time you bought them Laphroaig puppies. May times like that return. we deserve it.

Glen Mhor :bowdown:

Credit cards are wonderful sometimes. I knew I could turn them over before the bill was due so it was just a matter of timing and not cash so much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.