What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I poured a shot of Canadian Mist into a glass to see what it was like compared to the bourbon I had been drinking. I think its very drinkable and sweet. The odor is closer to bourbon than scotch. I do like it for a mild drink, but sort of wished I poured me a bourbon. This is not bad though! For my next pour, it will be a bourbon.

Home with the Mother of all Flu's...put a full shot of OGD 114 in some tea with lemon and honey. I still feel crappy, but it doesn't matter as much.

Well, technically not tonight.

Just went to a big warehouse wine sale with 2 friends and on the way back talk turned to whiskey. Two of us are big Pappy 20 fans; the third wasn't a big whiskey fan. I suggested that we come in for a Pappy tasting and they agreed.

We had a small tasting of Pappy 20, Pappy 15, and Old Forester Birthday (hadn't opened it yet). I also poured a sample of the BT Experimental Chardonnay, since we had just had several Chardonnays.

Overall, a nice Saturday afternoon.

Home with the Mother of all Flu's...put a full shot of OGD 114 in some tea with lemon and honey. I still feel crappy, but it doesn't matter as much.

They flu just does not seem to like Bourbon... dulls the pain, but you pay for it the next morning...

I had to take a couple of days off the sauce to recover... well mostly recover before I started up again...

better heath to you... I toast to your recovery with someEvan Williams....

Tonight has benn a Van Winkle Tribute day.

First, A big pour of Pappy 15

next, a generous pour of 12yr lot b. (yummy)

and to tie it all up....

ORVW 10/107 !!!!!

Cheers, Julian !!!!:bowdown:

As a nitecap, a little Knob Creek.

It has a good nose with barrel wood, some charred notes and some pleasant estery scents, like apples. There are no off-scents or discordant notes. The taste is clean, medium-bodied, medium-rich, inclining to vanillin sweetness but with a good distillery character in evidence. Light oak char reappears in the finish.

I find it interesting how Knob Creek stands apart in palate from the rest of the Beam line including Old Grandad. I can't detect any of the orange or anise notes that the other whiskeys have. Knob Creek seems to go for a different profile. A fine product and the Beam flagship bourbon in my opinion.

Gary

Last night's original plans changed. No limo ride into the city, so I have extra Pappy 20 now.

Went to a steakhouse in the 'burbs. Perusing the bourbons behind the bar, and to my surprise saw Lot B. This was good. Followed that with a Bulleit, which I've never had. The Bulleit had kind of a tobacco taste. Very different. We got our 4th man to convert to MM after a vodka martini.

In talking to the bartender, a guy next to me heard me mention 4R and struck up a conversation. He ended up being the original brand manager for Knob Creek, ho fortuitious and he came over and talked to us for a little while.

Had Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon with dinner, an incredible wine.

Another highlight for me was steak tartare appetizer!!

Old Rasputin Imperial Stout - a perennial favorite.

Laphroaig 10 - ditto

Oh, wait, this is a bourbon site? Okay- time to move on to S-W Weller 107.

I poured some EC 12 in a glass and noticed some aged corn oil taste, which I like.

Half-way down, I added a dash absinthe, half a teaspoon brown sugar, a dash of Peychaud's bitters, and one ice cube, to make a Sazerac.

Swirl hard to dissolve the sugar and blend.

This is an excellent cocktail.

Gary

As a nitecap, a little Knob Creek.

It has a good nose with barrel wood, some charred notes and some pleasant estery scents, like apples. There are no off-scents or discordant notes. The taste is clean, medium-bodied, medium-rich, inclining to vanillin sweetness but with a good distillery character in evidence. Light oak char reappears in the finish.

I find it interesting how Knob Creek stands apart in palate from the rest of the Beam line including Old Grandad. I can't detect any of the orange or anise notes that the other whiskeys have. Knob Creek seems to go for a different profile. A fine product and the Beam flagship bourbon in my opinion.

Gary

Man, I agree - I always kind of roll my eyes at the "Small Batch Collection" branding of Beam's high end, but KC is a great workhorse that has not disappointed. That bottle engenders a lot of loyalty - not a false note there.

Dipped into a new bottle of ERSB tonight - I pooh-poohed this when first tasting it about a year ago (maybe it was the packaging - reminds me of the 'Eagle Claw' fishhook logo!), but I'm digging some ripe apricot and sweet tobacco in there. Gotta love the crew at the Trace - getting itchy to scout out for some 17YO.

My apologies in advance.......but, for no apparent reasons other than needing to get rid of some leftover holiday stock and the fare of the evening being pizza, tonite it was my favorite American beer, Budweiser.

As I posted in the tasting area...

Wathens.. very nice. Solid flavors, a bit sweet, soft edged. Very pleasant neat.

Buffalo Trace, selected and bottled exclusively for,... a local store.

It's OK.

I have had better, I have had worse.

Maybe it's just me, it's Monday.

Buffalo Trace, selected and bottled exclusively for,... a local store.

It's OK.

I have had better, I have had worse.

Maybe it's just me, it's Monday.

It looks like you've "got a case of the Mondays." :lol:

STarted with a nice 3 oz pour of Henry McKenna SB BIB. It was a snow day here so I was home all day and got cold and started early. Followed by an AAA 10 star and moved on to Pappy 15. Sitting by the fire watching some MMA.

Last evening was a few fingers of the original WT RR. Always a good pour and a bargain at the time....

It looks like you've "got a case of the Mondays." :lol:

"Is your name really Michael Bolton?" :slappin:

Killing me Mark! Well last night I made a mix 50/50 with some 07 WLW and W.L. Weller Antique and it was very nice! I would do it again!

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

Opened the VW 12 lot "b" that I bought the other nite. Love it. Going back tomorrow to get a couple more. Also, I poured some Old Heaven Hill BIB. Not bad at all fot 11 bucks.

"Is your name really Michael Bolton?" :slappin:

Killing me Mark! Well last night I made a mix 50/50 with some 07 WLW and W.L. Weller Antique and it was very nice! I would do it again!

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

After reading your PM, I tried the above and liked it. I just poured '07 WLW, Weller Antique and PVW 20, in equal parts. I'm letting it sit before trying.

After reading your PM, I tried the above and liked it. I just poured '07 WLW, Weller Antique and PVW 20, in equal parts. I'm letting it sit before trying.

Looking forward to the mix report as these are a few of my favorite things,(soory for the sound of music quote) Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.