What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In the midst of a typical winter cold I decided to pull out the highest proof in the cabinet which is Stagg 131 (Spring 05). Miixed it up a sour with OJ & LJ. Not bad and hopefully will knock me out for a few hours.

Last night I got back into that McAfee's Benchmark from BT. As far as a bang/buck pour, it is fantastic. Very sweet on the nose and incredibly drinkable.

Does anyone know from which mash bill the Benchmark hails? My guess is the low rye bourbon (BT #1, I think). Any confirmation would be appreciated!

Cheers, Macon !!!:toast:

Lot B is Fantastic !!!!

It's 07 Larue Weller for me. Me thinks me in love !!!!:drinking:

Had several pours tonight to honor my mother-in-law coming into town this evening.

JB Black -- was actually pretty pleasantly surprised. Had a nice rye tang and some caramel sweetness; similar to Basil Hayden's but with more roundness. More integrated and balanced sweetness than OGB, which to me isn't as well integrated. Don't get me wronge -- OGD satisfies more and wins in the end but it isn't as refined as one might desire. Overall, feeling as though this was a good buy and I'm warming to it and respecting Beam for this product.

Rittenhouse Rye BIB -- just absolutely love the gingerbread finish on this and the candy front. I cannot help but think of the price as I drink it and I come back to it nightly. Only a few bottles are available locally and I cannot help but to worry about being shut out of one of my daily pours.

Elmer T. Lee -- a balanced product with sufficient rye finish and viscosity that just doesn't jump out for me as unique or overly compelling. Right in every way but just not striking.

Bookers -- I know it's cheating but there is just something about the power and viscosity of high proof bourbon. Love the refreshing oomph of everything coming at me at 100 mph. Booker's may be baby Stagg but it certainly seems comfortable in its role.

Bookers -- I know it's cheating but there is just something about the power and viscosity of high proof bourbon. Love the refreshing oomph of everything coming at me at 100 mph. Booker's may be baby Stagg but it certainly seems comfortable in its role.

I couldn't agree more. I always have a bottle of bookers in my stash !!!

Good Call !!!:cool:

Tonight was a night of exploration. Ended up at a bar called The Scottish Arms, as you can probably tell Bourbon isn't there specialty - think of it as Bourbons Bistro for the Scotch nut... When in Rome...

After a EC18 I tried Bruidladdich 15 year and found it pretty good nothing spectacular but decent enough. Then I noticed they offer flights of small pours so I did what they call the Queens Tour and chose Macallan 18 year, Laphroaig 15 year and Isle of Jura Superstition. Well first off the Laph. was just a touch above horrible! Medicinal and just plain bad - sorry not at all to my taste. The Macallan was good but seemed pretty one dimensional. Honestly I think I enjoyed the Isle of Jura the most it had evident layers of flavor and a great chocolatey toffee finish that really lasted.

Not going to add a bottle of Scotch to my bunker any time soon, but will enjoy this bar quite a few more times while out here on expenses. :P

One thing I do have to add and I don't know if it was just this barkeep but their pours were very stingy! I mean a "dram" which costs more than a shot is still not what I'd call a good pour by any means! I am hoping it was the guy pouring and not the standard for this place..... Oh yeah, and for what you get the prices are pretty high!

Last night my wife and I enjoyed a glass of her favorite Bourbon Rowan's creek. I'm slowly moving her off of Vodka and Gin!

Last night started with Pappy 15, continued on with OGD 114, and ended with GTS 141.2. As usual, drinking in the order of ascending proof. The OGD was awesome, and after a couple sips of the GTS I knew I'd made a mistake in switching. Maybe the Stagg's been sitting in the bottle too long, because it had some strong off-notes (rubber? plastic?) I did not appreciate. A little water dampened those notes but could not erase them. If these off-notes present themselves in the next few tastings, I'll have to make that GTS into a mixer :shocked::cool:

Just finishing off a bottle of WTRR, the newer 90 proof stuff. I am a bit time WT fan and have forsaken the Russells Reserve since the "change". I have to say that I been missing out on something here, I really like this, I get a more complex flavor profile than my usual WTRB, vanilla and apple dominate and make this a very easy bourbon to enjoy.

Started with IPA, coffee stout (beer thing) then to the goods, Bernheim, lot B, ORVW 10 107 and finishing with Pappy 15....Soooo Gooood. Mark

Had a couple of Weller's Special Reserve.

Then we went to my my wife's company Christmas party, (yeah they do it in Jan.).

There I had a few Wild Turkey 80 proof, the only bourbon they had.

Actually I was glad it was only 80 proof, no need to get crazy there.

Now I am back on the Weller's.

Well, these days don't come around often. The 1st qtr Malt Advocate magazine has arrived with an article on Four Roses' resurgence and the annual awards. American whiskey of the year is Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Tasting notes on WT RR Rye: "incredibly smooth", rated 88.

I'm reading it with a glass of Pappy 15. If only I could puff a stogie in the house...

A little Hirsch tonight... mmm good stuff with ribeye, salad, sorbe, water, xxx, xxxx, xxxxx

now on to the big stuff :grin:

Weller's Antique 107. I used a shot glass and poured it into my whiskey glass. Then I tasted it a bit and added Britta filtered water. (The water in Knoxville is atrocious tasting). I added water approx... 1/3 shot ....

I think my taste buds are improving on this Weller. Its got a lot of good taste. I really like it. This is definitely sipping whiskey. I don't know what whiskey is not sipping whiskey, but this definitely is.

2007 T.H. Handy rye, followed by some McScrooge's specially selected Pappy 15. Hard to beat after watching the Tennessee men's basketball team dispatch Ohio State this afternoon!

Eagle Rare 101 10yo. New Oreans bottle.

Among other flavors I am also getting a slight char flavor that is very similar to Stagg's.

Tonight, with outside temperatures hovering around 0 F (-18 C), I figured it would be a good night for a "three-peat" as in three peated single malts. First up, a pour of Connemara Cask Strength - unusual in that it is a peated Irish single-malt. Next up, Bruichladdich 3D "Peat Proposal" (first edition). Now, lastly, Ardbeg 10.

The differences are subtle, but I can notice them - the Connemara, along with its peat, has a slight, pleasant grassy undertone - sort of like a meadow after a rainstorm. The 3-D has Bruichladdich's floral character, but with the peat cranked way up from the typical 'Laddie. The Ardbeg, of course, is an in-your-face peat fest, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Once the Ardbeg is finished, I'll wait a bit, and then break out my OGD 114.

Ok I went to my dad's basement to see if I could find anything different, I had Weller 12 last night.

On the shelf I found a bottle of Early Times from 1975 open and a little over half full! states "This Whiskey is 4 years old" on the back lable. I opened it and took a wiff smells good! poured a couple ounces and damn that aint bad at all for 4 year old! A bit sweet and not a lot going on but really tasty!!

Tony

Is this thread not a clear invasion of privacy. Why should I tell you what I'm drinking or have drunk?! Please, admins, I beg you, delete this thread.

Is the government behind this? Do they want to know what I consume and how much per day (see the "How many ounces" thread)?

Why do I feel like I'm in a box and I cannot breathe?!

Okay, twist my arm, Mr. CIA, I had me a couple pours of ORVW 10/107 and PVW 15. Are you happy now?! ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.