What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Evan Williams, the standard "Black Label" AKA Heaven Hill's flagship.

I was in the mood for a Bourbon Mist or 2 or 3 and EW makes the best.

Wasn't today, but on my last trip to the ABC store I came home with ...

Wild Turkey Rare Breed (replenishing my supply)

Maker's Mark (likewise, although it's been well over a year since the last bottle ran dry)

Jim Beam Black (a first try of this one for me, bought after reading many favorable comments here)

Larry

Picked up a Ridgeford Reserve 1792 and a Basil Hayden's. Called a local store to ask about availability of Weller 12 year and it will be three more weeks until it comes in. I know it's like candy but I love that stuff!

Our local store had a buy 2 get one half for all Beam brands, so I picked up 2 of the Beam Black - which is the work horse bourbon for me.

I almost got some Bookers (anything named after Booker Noe has got to be good). But I decided on the sample size instead - it was g-ooo-d and strong. Not for the faint of heart. Definitely on my list for special occasions....

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13-yr-old and OGD114 (the former is in limited supply in my area and I could not beat the price on the latter). The bottom of the bottle of the OCPR has "Packaging Co. Ltd. United Kingdom" embossed on the glass. Good to know Kentuckians can still make some use of the Brits, who appear to be satisfied making [horrible] gin, and still manage to call it a "spirit."

Was very surprised, and happy, to see a bottle of 2007 Handy make it to the shelves here. "Limit 1 per person" said the sign, so I grabbed one. Love this stuff

Darkluka, I think I would bring many outfits to the store. buy a bottle, go out to car pop on a base ball cap and a sweatshirt go back in buy another, remove cap and sweatshirt and put on a cowboy hat an jacket go in buy another....

I did buy a ER 1B 10yr to replace a empty bottle of Buf Trace. yum

Bookers and Corner Creek as well as some Phillips Union, Glenfiddich 15 Solera SMS and Black Bottle blended scotch, all from Binnys!

Thomas

Grabbed a Vintage 17 Year and a couple of bottles of EW1783. I've never had either. I have had the EW Black Label and wasn't terribly impressed but I figured the 1783 deserved a chance after getting a 96 pt. rating from Wine Enthusiast.

Picked up a variety of nicer pours and some bargain brands:

EWSB 10

Very Special Old Fitz 12

OGD 114

OGD BIB

Old Fitz

JTS Brown BIB

Henry McKenna

Old Forester 86

EW 1783

Rittenhouse BIB

Picked up a variety of nicer pours and some bargain brands:

EWSB 10

Very Special Old Fitz 12

OGD 114

OGD BIB

Old Fitz

JTS Brown BIB

Henry McKenna

Old Forester 86

EW 1783

Rittenhouse BIB

Just as a "One man's opinion..." intellectual exercise, let me arrange those in my preferential order:

Rittenhouse BIB

OGD BIB

Old Forester 86

EWSB (I assume 1997)

OGD 114

EW 1783

VSOF 12

Old Fitz

Henry McKenna

JTS Brown BIB

Mind you, I'm assuming current editions. I've had mind-blowing J.T.S. Brown (late-'60s) and Heavenly Heaven Hill (McKenna BIB 10yo SB). Not a 'mixer' in the bunch, maybe.

Just as a "One man's opinion..." intellectual exercise, let me arrange those in my preferential order:

Rittenhouse BIB

OGD BIB

Old Forester 86

EWSB (I assume 1997)

OGD 114

EW 1783

VSOF 12

Old Fitz

Henry McKenna

JTS Brown BIB

Mind you, I'm assuming current editions. I've had mind-blowing J.T.S. Brown (late-'60s) and Heavenly Heaven Hill (McKenna BIB 10yo SB). Not a 'mixer' in the bunch, maybe.

I didn't try all of these yesterday but one I did try and was pretty bad was the Old Fitz. Just simple and very sweet and with a really powerful smell of pecans. And the pecan flavor was a little odd -- not enticing like pie! :puke:

Picked up Elijah Craig 12. It was from a store where, it seems, they've been sitting on the shelf for nearly two years. In a box, too, which I've never seen.

I was going to start a thread about this but figured I'd just ask here:

Who's started bunkering EC12, now that there's less than a year left of the original HH?

I didn't try all of these yesterday but one I did try and was pretty bad was the Old Fitz. Just simple and very sweet and with a really powerful smell of pecans. And the pecan flavor was a little odd -- not enticing like pie! :puke:

Can you give any more details..

Was it Prime (if so, was it 80 or 86 proof?), or was it Bottled-in-Bond (if so, what DSP numbers did it have?)? And what date numbers are imprinted into the bottom of the bottle?

Just curious, thanks.

I really like some of the older bottlings (even of the lower proof 'Prime'). But I will admit that while I do enjoy the taste, some of it can be very simple tasting and not complex at all, but (to my taste) that is not a bad thing.

I just received a GTS 07 compliments of a fellow SB'er. Much thanks!

I also picked up an OGD BIB for a little rebarreling experiment.

ETL (older bottle without the wax top)

Old Forester Birthday (2004 & 2006)

ORVW 10-YR

Bernheim Original

BT (great bourbon, great price!)

WTRR 101

ER 101

...and a bottle of El Major Resposado tequila for my brother

I was looking for something special for New Years Eve. I spotted a dusty single lonely bottle of Henry McKenna 10 yr. S1B BIB. When I got home I noticed that the barreling was in 1984. I opened it last night. This may be the best bourbon I have tasted. Copper color. Very smooth with a very long lip smacking fruity finish. Not too sweet and not too woody. Wow. It was a very nice New Years Eve.

Just purchased 2 1994 WTKS pewter tops, signed by Jimmy. One will go on the shelf, and I will have to battle to open a signed one, but with all the talk of how good early KS is, I know what will eventuate.....

Scott

saw that EC 18 was on sale for a mere $23.99 so got two bottles (one with a bottling date back in 1988), and another Old Overholt, which has a new label since the last bottle I bought. wish my shops got more rye, the overholt is the only straight rye around here, other than a few bottle of the saz 18 left (which i've bunkered several already).

saw that EC 18 was on sale for a mere $23.99

I keep saying 2008 is going to be a great year!!

$23.99?? Get a case!!

Scott

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!