What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Decided to try some bottom shelf (or middle shelf in some stores) bourbons. Got Ancient Ancient Age 10 star and Old Grand-dad Bonded.

I've opened the AAA and so far it's not bad at all. Can anyone tell me if the AAA 10 year old is really that much better than the 10 star, or is it just a little better?

wooohooo made a good trade for some 05 William Laura Willer today...

:woohoo: Thank you Illfarmboy!!!!:thankyousign:

Today while out and about I picked up a bottle of WT RR 101 and a bottle of Power's Gold

Decided to try some bottom shelf (or middle shelf in some stores) bourbons. Got Ancient Ancient Age 10 star and Old Grand-dad Bonded.

I've opened the AAA and so far it's not bad at all. Can anyone tell me if the AAA 10 year old is really that much better than the 10 star, or is it just a little better?

Sorry I can't help you with the AAA 10 Star Vs. 10 Year. All I have ever had is the 10 Star. I wasn't overly impressed. If I recall correctly, among those who have had both, the 10 year gets much better reviews, which isn't surprising.

The Old Granddad bottled-in-bond is very good. Not at all deserving of its lower/bottom shelf status.

I have not had the 10 Star but I do have a number of bottles of the AAA 10 year and I find it to be quite good. Not exception, but good. At 86 proof at about $11 a liter, it a good bargain....well, at least it was.....can't find it anymore.

Not bourbon, but, a back-up bottle of VWFRR this evening along with a bottle of Cinzano for Manhattans tonite. However, not planning to use the VW for the mix....strictly neat on the FRR. Found my 'lost' bottle of Rittenhouse BIB as well as going to try some RRR for same.

Well thanks to some BS at work I didn't make it over to Kentucky as planned!!:hot:

I worked some in the morning took the afternoon to go explore a little bit and then worked more this evening. Anyway I did find an '06 Handy (132.7) for under $60 so that is good (would have rather had an 07 since I haven't found one for under $80 yet!), an '07 ER17 that I wouldn't have bothered with but it was under $40 so I decided what the heck. And then I found a place that had boxes of these old Baker's singles from batch B-85-501, I believe this was the first or very close to it -- it is some damn tasty stuff that is for sure. Oh and I grabbed an Old Charter 12 year since I have heard the Classic 90 is pretty good and like most other OCs it isn't available in Cali...

Would have rather drove to Kentucky!

post-1291-14489813564041_thumb.jpg

post-1291-14489813564441_thumb.jpg

Christian,

Don't buy any Handy on the way here! I have two extra bottles ('07)that I don't want (miscounted when I was buying) and I paid $61 each. Sound Good?

Dawn

A Pappy 15. Reading this thread earlier and seeing that it was in some markets on "extreme allocation" I was surprised. It is a hard to find bottle in this area. Just maybe Buffalo Trace is attempting to widen distribution?

One man's loss is another's gain perhaps?

:woohoo:

Just got my long awaited/sought after Pappy Van 23yr ... its better when you win it hahahaha

Now lets hope that the Bourbon is as good as the anticipation ;)

Emerald

IIRC, the ten star is only six years old, despite the confusing labels. The ten year old, IMHO, is more mature and nuanced.

Just got my long awaited/sought after Pappy Van 23yr ... its better when you win it hahahaha

Emerald

Was that you who won the ebay auction?

I was looking at that !!!!:grin:

Looks like I'm not the only one who bought some PVW23 today. I thought about it for weeks and came to the conclusion last night that the lone bottle I saw would not look quite right on any shelf other than my own. :) Not that it matters but I thought these looked much nicer with the wax seals. This one also didn't have one of those little tags tied to it, should it have?

Was that you who won the ebay auction?

I was looking at that !!!!:grin:

Yup... hell-of-a-price too.... $175 shipped...

I can't wait to have a Pappy show-down.... I plan on putting the 15, 20 and 23 against each other.... I might through in some van winkles (Lot B, 10 and 15 yr) to make it a 6 shooter....

Emerald

Yup... hell-of-a-price too.... $175 shipped...

I can't wait to have a Pappy show-down.... I plan on putting the 15, 20 and 23 against each other.... I might through in some van winkles (Lot B, 10 and 15 yr) to make it a 6 shooter....

Great deal. That's less than retail around here. I paid considerably more over a year ago to get a bottle on ebay when there were no more around. Oh, it's autographed by Julian, so that's worth something, at least sentimentally. Then about 2 weeks later, Binny's got one, so I got that one, too, to average out the price and have one in the bunker. We fininshed off bottle #1 over the summer on a night when it stayed up around 80 degrees into the wee hours. Missing those days now; temp hovering around 0-10 today. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Let us know how you like it. I find it has a much stronger alcohol taste than the 15 or 20.

For the next bottling, I'm going retail.

As for me, I couldn't resist the hype of winning Malt Advocate's American whiskey of the year, so I picked up a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2007 release.

The tasting notes describe "dark caramel and rich vanilla coat a ripe apple character." I'm thinking apple pie a la mode here. The aroma should also include "...cinnamon-raisin bun. Sharp cinnamon is cooled by a hint of mint as the bourbon opens up." OF claims a finish that's "warm, long and very clean." Malt Advocate adds "polished leather" to that. Leather's one of my favorite themes, since my dad worked (as did I for a summer way back when) at a tannery.

OFBday2007.jpg

Looking forward to breaking that seal and having a taste.

Well thanks to a very generous member who had it in his area I received 2 bottles of Wild Turkey Tribute! I opened the one I had and man it is good!

You the man :bowdown: Gus!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Tony

Finally completed the 07 BTAC. WLW and I must say it is one heck of a good pour of whiskey! This barrel proof stuff can really change your tastes. Too bad the Packers play didn't match my enthusasim for this whiskey! Bummer....

As for me, I couldn't resist the hype of winning Malt Advocate's American whiskey of the year, so I picked up a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2007 release

You are going to love this stuff. best of the B-Day Bourbons!!!

My most recent purchases (Saturday) were rather pedestrian compared to some of what's been mentioned in this thread: OF Sig 100, and EC12.

I rec'd the OFBB 2007 for Christmas, but have yet to break the seal. I'm eager to see how it compares to the '06, which was my first (and only) exposure to the series.

Larry

My wife and I finally took the hard hat tour at BT (and ad agreat tiem!).

Afterwards, I stopped at a nearby liquor store and found two WLW 06.

Malt Advocate's American whiskey of the year, Malt Advocate

Which issue of Malt Advocate are you referring to?

Has anyone got the First Quarter 2008 issue?

I don't and I am a subscriber.

Opps, sorry, I am off topic.

I purchased two 50 ml bottles of WTRB for the ride home today.

Nothing quite like breaking the law.

Stopped in at Binnys today. Picked up a couple fancy ryes to try.

'07 Thomas H. Handy

Rittenhouse 21 yo

ORVW 10 year old. Anyone out there who has tried it and would comment on it ?

There are a lot people here that love ORVW 10/107, including myself. I haven't had the 90 proof nor will I try it but the 107 proof is great. Definitely pick it up.

Didn't purchase it today, but I received a package from Tony (ACDetroit) today, and I was like a kid in a candy store.

First off there was a Distiller's Masterpiece 18yo and 20yo. I must say they look better in the flesh!

Then there was a 375mL WT Honey liqueur I was chasing.

Then Tony threw in a gift of an 07 Thomas H Handy Rye.:cool: Tony you are the man!

I really appreciate your help in getting these bottles, and the THH, my sincere thanks! :toast:

Scott

post-1792-14489813568886_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!