What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$23.99?? Get a case!!

I'll second that! and get a case for me :lol: !

Today was a surprise in the mail as I had forgot about the win on eBay! I do not eBay much Liquor but the buy it now was right so I ended up with a George Dickel Powder Horn with Tax Stamp and box all in good shape for $30 shipped so I was happy and it looks great!

Cheers!

Tony

Dickel is really getting popular on this board.

I know a store that has several Dickel #8's.

I picked up a bottle of Eagle's Rare for $22.99. I haven't had any in years and forgot how good it taste. I think my next purchase will be Wild Turkey Barrel Strength.

I think my next purchase will be Wild Turkey Barrel Strength.

Hey, if you wanna include me I'd love to have a WT Barrel Strenthg.

Today I made a vatting of Weller 107 which is as good as a purchase for me, better in some ways. It simply combines an un-chill-filtered single barrel version selected by the Kentucky Bourbon Society (bottled Sept. '07) with a single barrel selected by Cork & Bottle in Kentucky (bottled a couple of months or so earlier, it was barrel 11). Both were just over 9 years old. The mingling ratio was 2:1 respectively. It is remarkable how good this is, it presents the best features of both and contrives to make two well-flavored, strong drinks a smooth number that drinks neat to perfection despite the formidable proof.

Gary

Today I made a vatting of Weller 107 which is as good as a purchase for me, better in some ways. It simply combines an un-chill-filtered single barrel version selected by the Kentucky Bourbon Society (bottled Sept. '07) with a single barrel selected by Cork & Bottle in Kentucky (bottled a couple of months or so earlier, it was barrel 11). Both were just over 9 years old. The mingling ratio was 2:1 respectively. It is remarkable how good this is, it presents the best features of both and contrives to make two well-flavored, strong drinks a smooth number that drinks neat to perfection despite the formidable proof.

Gary

Way to go making me jealous, Gary. ;)

Can you give any more details..

Was it Prime (if so, was it 80 or 86 proof?), or was it Bottled-in-Bond (if so, what DSP numbers did it have?)? And what date numbers are imprinted into the bottom of the bottle?

Just curious, thanks.

I really like some of the older bottlings (even of the lower proof 'Prime'). But I will admit that while I do enjoy the taste, some of it can be very simple tasting and not complex at all, but (to my taste) that is not a bad thing.

Sorry it took me so long to get back...

It is Prime and 80 proof. There is a small ink stamp on the bottom of the bottle that reads 42 24 0x9 0 0309; the x is a number I cannot read. The imprint in the bottle itself reads 00 60 42 BM

None of these appear to be a date...?

Oh yeah -- also picked up a AAA 10 star, a Pikesville rye, and a Dickel #12 today.

Paid for 4 bottles of the East Bay 4yr. Willett's Rye today. I hope to have them buy next week! A friend in San Fran grabbed them and will ship by Monday! Can hardly wait!!

Tony

Sorry it took me so long to get back...

It is Prime and 80 proof. There is a small ink stamp on the bottom of the bottle that reads 42 24 0x9 0 0309; the x is a number I cannot read. The imprint in the bottle itself reads 00 60 42 BM

None of these appear to be a date...?

Thanks for the reply.

Going by the imprints in the glass, I believe the one imprint that (reasonably) appears to be the last two numbers of a year will be the date (in this case I would guess that it's the 00, which would put it at 2000..a good year from what I've experienced).

To put my self on topic, last night I finally decided to pick up a pewter-topped WTKS (bottled 9-9-96) that I found awhile back, good price too!

Mark, you can do the same with Weller 107 bought on the shelf anywhere in America.

The work is really in the proportions of the two (or three, perhaps) combined.

Gary

Parker's Heritage Cask Strength - 122.6 proof. $80 is steep, but I had to have it!

I would have to agree Dave great find as that is the first release which I understand is the better of the 3.

I've been very good over the last 3 months and have not bought any bourbon....first because my stock is full and second because I'm in a career transition so money is tight. I dropped in to a local ABC yesterday and they had one lonely bottle of '07 Saz sitting in the back room. It now sits on my shelf at home. VA received a total of 60 bottles...that was it, so I consider myself fortunate.

Against my better judgment a couple of bottles of Hirsch 16 - and based upon too many recommendations to count a bottle of Parkers 122.6.

Today, one bottle of Weller 7/107 (paper label) and a bottle of Fundador Jerez brandy, plus a proper brandy snifter.

The Fundador is inexpensive ($20 for the bottle), and I opened it almost immediately to give it a try. Mmmmmmmm, good stuff. It's interesting to contrast it against a heavily sherried single-malt Scotch like Aberlour A'Bunadh - they both have that strong sherry note, but the brandy is clearly brandy and the whisky is clearly whisky.

The Weller, of course, has been a favorite of mine from the first taste...

Evan Williams, the standard "Black Label" AKA Heaven Hill's flagship.

I was in the mood for a Bourbon Mist or 2 or 3 and EW makes the best.

I never heard of Bourbon Mist, but looked it up on the web and it said, put ice in a glass, add 3.5oz of Ten High and then add more ice. Yes, maybe EW Black is a cut above Ten High. I have never tried Ten High yet. Have you tried EW White?

I use crushed ice cubes for my Bourbon Mist but only a jigger of bourbon, this is how I learned of it.

I have never heard of EW White Label BIB and I just recently became aware of EW Green Label.

The next time I am down south I will try to get both.

We were out with some friends last night and ended up at a small pub in Georgetown Indiana.

I was somewhat dissapointed to find that they only had two Bourbons in stock!

So after I finished off their bottle of Makers... the other bottle was Very Old Barton which I had never had before. I really enjoyed it but didnt think to ask which proof this was. I was impressed with it even though I understand it is a bottom shelf offering.

Think I'll run out and grab a bottle for the house!

Hondo

Parker's Heritage Cask Strength - 122.6 proof. $80 is steep, but I had to have it!
I would have to agree Dave great find as that is the first release which I understand is the better of the 3.

Interesting, I also grabbed a 122.6 yesterday and am pretty surprised to hear the first offering made it to Cali. I picked up a 127.4 in St Louis.

Picked up some Sazerac Rye. I had never tried a good rye before. Wow, what a nice tasting pour. My old stand by JD keeps getting pushed farther back into the cabinet!

Against my better judgment a couple of bottles of Hirsch 16 - and based upon too many recommendations to count a bottle of Parkers 122.6.

Both are very, very good choices....

Picked up some Sazerac Rye. I had never tried a good rye before. Wow, what a nice tasting pour. My old stand by JD keeps getting pushed farther back into the cabinet!

Keep trying things that are recommended here and Jack will get kicked to the curb like last weeks trash.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!