What bourbon have you vowed never to drink?

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious. It can be something you've tried and cannot stand. It could be that you have a grudge against a distillery or third party supplier :lol:, heard bad things about a certain bourbon, etc.

For me, there are quite a few.

Here's my list:

Basil Hayden

Bakers

Bulleit

Corner Creek

Noah's Mill

Rowan's Mill

Pure Kentucky XO

Kentucky Vintage

Any Evan Williams Single Barrel

Ezra B

Old Pogue

Virginia Gentlemen

Woodford Reserve, et al.

Jefferson's Reserve

Ridgemont Reserve 1782

Any bourbon that has "Reserve" in the title" :slappin:

How about yourself?

Any bourbon that has "Reserve" in the title

Guess that means you do not care to try most of the Van Winkle line then... :grin:

I come from the camp that is always willing to try something out at least once. With this said, most of the whiskies on your list I did not enjoy outside of Bakers. I think Bakers is a good bourbon and, as a bonus, is readily available at most bars and restaurants.

Bulleit

Corner Creek

Jefferson's Reserve

Jim Beam Green

Jim Beam Wite if I can avoid it

Wild Turkey 80

Woodford's Four Grain

I'm sure a few others I am missing...

I'm curious, Mark. Why did you include "Any Evan Williams Single Barrel" in your list.

I must admit my experience with this bourbon is limited. Several years ago I bought several bottles of the '94. One of the bottles seem to go sour. I left a mere two fingers in the bottom of the bottle for many mouths. When I pulled it out from the back of the hutch it had changed, and not for the better. That's the only time I've had something like that happen. I haven't sworn off other bottles or vintages, I've Just neglected to purchase any more.

I'm curious, Mark. Why did you include "Any Evan Williams Single Barrel" in your list.

I must admit my experience with this bourbon is limited. Several years ago I bought several bottles of the '94. One of the bottles seem to go sour. I left a mere two fingers in the bottom of the bottle for many mouths. When I pulled it out from the back of the hutch it had changed, and not for the better. That's the only time I've had something like that happen. I haven't sworn off other bottles or vintages, I've Just neglected to purchase any more.

Brad,

A few months back I purchased, on a whim, a bottle of EWSB 1997. From the first sip, I did not like it. Not too recently, I revisited it and while I thought it was better, it certainly wasn't good, in my opinion, and as a result I will never purchase it again.

I'm not really one to give a bourbon a second chance by wasting money to purchase another. If I didn't like the first bottle, I won't bother to try another. Such is the case with EWSB.

Of course, it's a matter of preference. Many people here seem to enjoy it.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Mark

It does answer my question. I thought perhaps you had an experience similar to mine.

No, I didn't like it right off the bat. Also, why 86.6?!

So yours went sour? It actually tasted sour? Yikes!

You have a lot of KBD's on your list Nick.

I am with you and if you have never had it before don't try Johnny Drum 8yo.

I'll never drink it again, it has the taste that only a beaver could love.

Guess that means you do not care to try most of the Van Winkle line then... :grin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You have a lot of KBD's on your list Nick.

I am with you and if you have never had it before don't try Johnny Drum 8yo.

I'll never drink it again, it has the taste that only a beaver could love.

:slappin::slappin::slappin::slappin:

Oscar, check out my revised list:

Basil Hayden

Bakers

Bulleit

Corner Creek

Noah's Mill

Rowan's Mill

Pure Kentucky XO

Kentucky Vintage

Johnny Drum

Any Evan Williams Single Barrel

Ezra B

Old Pogue

Virginia Gentlemen

Woodford Reserve, et al.

Jefferson's Reserve

Ridgemont Reserve 1782

Any bourbon that has "Reserve" in the title. :slappin:

Mark

Why is Baker's on your list? Do you feel the prices is inflated? I find it to be pretty tasty stuff, myself.

Brad,

A few months back I purchased, on a whim, a bottle of EWSB 1997. From the first sip, I did not like it. Not too recently, I revisited it and while I thought it was better, it certainly wasn't good, in my opinion, and as a result I will never purchase it again.

I'm not really one to give a bourbon a second chance by wasting money to purchase another. If I didn't like the first bottle, I won't bother to try another. Such is the case with EWSB.

Of course, it's a matter of preference. Many people here seem to enjoy it.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Mark

Have you only had the 97 EWSB? Because it has a huge difference from the others. Mainly it was distilled at the JIm Beam Clermont location. Post HH Fire of 96. The 95, and 96 versions are much different. It all a matter of preference, I'm not telling you what to like. But if you have only had the 97 I don't think that is a fair representation of EWSB IMO. For me EWSB is one of my favorites.

Have you only had the 97 EWSB? Because it has a huge difference from the others. Mainly it was distilled at the JIm Beam Clermont location. Post HH Fire of 96. The 95, and 96 versions are much different. It all a matter of preference, I'm not telling you what to like. But if you have only had the 97 I don't think that is a fair representation of EWSB IMO. For me EWSB is one of my favorites.

They also change the flavor profile every year. Each vintage is selected to be different. I loved the 93, disliked the 94, enjoy the 95 and have yet to try a 96 or 97.

They also change the flavor profile every year. Each vintage is selected to be different. I loved the 93, disliked the 94, enjoy the 95 and have yet to try a 96 or 97.

I was unaware of that. I thought, much like Stagg, they try to keep the profile fairly consistent. So what your saying is its more like B-F Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, in that they "target" a different profile every year.

Nick, I remember reading about the fire. Is there that much of a difference between a post-1996 EWSB and pre-?

I would find that to be a bit frustrating. So basically it's hit or miss! That's stinks. I want to know what I'm buying before I buy it. If I liked a prior bottle then I'd expect to like the next offering. To not would be dissapointing. Where's the QA?

None.

How would I know if something has gotten better or worse? Seems like such a vow would be a good way to miss some pretty good pours.

(I note your premise states "drink", not "buy". There are plenty of bottlings I won't buy again in their current forms. But, if offered on someone else's nickel, I'm not likely to turn any down.)

But, if offered on someone else's nickel, I'm not likely to turn any down.)

Good point, Tim.:grin:

Nick, that list is too long. Perhaps you don't like bourbon that much. I typically won't drink Bourbon shelved below my knee. However, friend, they all pretty much drink. And I do remember a bottle of Bourbon Deluxe, that tasted fine.

I'll pretty much drink any bourbon given to me, but will not buy Bourbon below my knee and Basil Haydens. Everything else is fair game for my dollar.

At one time in my life, I could have authored a list similar to that of Nick. However, the graying of hair and fortunate passage of time upon this earth thus far have allowed me to consider and try much from top shelf to bottom. That being said, I have not tasted nor do I plan to test the fates with Old Crow.

You never know where the road of life leads, but, if I were ever fortunate to find any of the real, old, genuine Old Crow......well, then I would have lied by what I just said in the previous paragraph.

I was unaware of that. I thought, much like Stagg, they try to keep the profile fairly consistent. So what your saying is its more like B-F Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, in that they "target" a different profile every year.

From my reading of threads here over the years, that sounds right. I can't remember the exact terminology thought.... It's sort of like they keep the same profile, but target specific flavor charactaristic each vintage.

Personally, I'm divided on this type of initiative. On the one hand, I get to taste different charactaristics that the Master Distiller identifies each year. On the other hand, I can't go out and buy a previous vintage I enjoy any time.

From my reading of threads here over the years, that sounds right. I can't remember the exact terminology thought.... It's sort of like they keep the same profile, but target specific flavor charactaristic each vintage.

Personally, I'm divided on this type of initiative. On the one hand, I get to taste different charactaristics that the Master Distiller identifies each year. On the other hand, I can't go out and buy a previous vintage I enjoy any time.

Why throw many at an ever changing product that you may or may not like when you can buy something that is consistent in flavor profile that you like very much.

That's my thought anyway.

Nick, that list is too long. Perhaps you don't like bourbon that much. I typically won't drink Bourbon shelved below my knee. However, friend, they all pretty much drink. And I do remember a bottle of Bourbon Deluxe, that tasted fine.

I'll pretty much drink any bourbon given to me, but will not buy Bourbon below my knee and Basil Haydens. Everything else is fair game for my dollar.

Mr. Tree,

Bourbon is my friend.

Regards,

Mark

:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.