What bourbon have you vowed never to drink?

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Don't know of any that i'd never drink again,but i can think of one that i would never buy again.Old Crow!I've always heard that the n.d. version of Crow was pretty good stuff and was also told it was one of the best sellers in this area.From you guys on here that have had the n.d. version,how was it?

Great no, good for $10.... I think so. I do not plan on buying a case, but I would take it over JD White
I guess. OWV is better neat, but I don't hate JBW as much as you...if it is on-the-rocks, my secondary bev and I am double-fisting it with a tasty brew. I do have some stipulations.

Never drink a Bourbon? It's all good....just some is better. I'll try it all, some I will try again and again. For free I will try stuff I might not be willing to pony up the cash to buy. On the other hand I will give just about any Bourbon a shot once....live is an adventure. Take a drink and live the adventure.

None.

I've yet to try any bourbon that is offensive to the point that I wouldn't try it again. I'm also not one to avoid trying a new label based on the opinions of others, so I guess that I'm still an open book.

I could list more than a few in a "vowed never to drink 'again'" category. However, of those I have not tried and don't plan to do so (thanks mainly to many folks' insight & wisdom herein), I would have to say Old Whiskey River, Bourborn de Luxe, Bulleit, and that new Colorado Whiskey are a few that come to the forefront of my mind. Probably a few others will hatch after a few more sips of Overholt.

I really haven't vowed to never drink any bourbon. I have told myself that there's a couple I'd never "buy" again.:slappin: Joe

Here is my list of, not so much never drink, but to never buy again.

1. VOB BIB - Tried it a few months ago and it just has an overpowering something that was very unpleasant to me. Bought another bottle a week ago thinking maybe it was just me before. Nope, still there, just very unpleasant to me.

2. Makers Mark - I have never actually bought a bottle of this but have tried it when out to eat a few times. Seems very shallow to me, not bad, just not what I prefer in a bourbon. It seems a little pricy around here (middle TN) too.

3. OGD BIB - Just had a flavor I can only describe as what stinky feet would taste like. Yeah, I know I posted that comment on another post but that is the only way I know how to describe it.

4. EW BIB - Seems like a really young bourbon. Too alcoholish with very little other flavors to me. Much prefer the black label to the BIB.

Makers Mark. yea yea the wheat is supposed to give it a softer delicate flavor, but the opposite happens when it touches my lips. this is one of the thinnest and most bitter bourbons I've come across. I'll take an Evan Williams 7yo over this any day.

I posted on this thread about a year ago. Since then I've had two more trips to the gazebo and much sampling here at home. My opinions haven't changed but they've become more refined. I've found that I'm not a Brown Forman fan. I dislike Old Forester, I find Woodford rather ho hum for the price, and JD black, while palatable, has a nose that reminds me of paint thinner, I prefer JB W (not one of my favorites). JD SB is rather good, but I'll never buy it because of the price:quality ratio. I think their best product is Early Times. I've also learned that as a general rule I prefer ryes to wheaters, however I do enjoy and will continue to buy some wheaters. However there is nothing I'd vow to never try again.

Old Grand Dad 86--I picked it up at Rite-Aid on sale for $7.99. The flavor profile was a cross between vomit and licking an ashtray.

Bulleit

Jefferson's

Woodford Four Grain (from what i've gathered)

Henry McKenna (never again)

Beam White (I avoid it...)

BB

After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed. Maybe a better (more precise) question should be "bourbon voved never to buy or buy again". I'm like many here, I'll try/drink mostly anything that's free. I only buy JB white at holiday time, for my swine brothers/uncles and brother-in-laws, who don't know any better, and I don't want them to drink my good stuff. They wouldn't know the difference and they guzzle aways.

TJ

One bottle I've tried desperately to like but haven't is my Hirsch 16 year Gold Foil. Either it's a bad bottle or the third iteration was just too long in the tub.

I agree 100% on the Hirsch 16 Gold Foil. Too long in the tub. I doubt I will ever finish the bottle unless I start using it as a cleaning product. I haven't ventured below mid-shelf, so I really haven't had any other bourbon that I did not think was at least drinkable.

Jim

I only buy JB white at holiday time, for my swine brothers/uncles and brother-in-laws, who don't know any better, and I don't want them to drink my good stuff. They wouldn't know the difference and they guzzle aways.

TJ

This is good thought, however, you can spend a little less and get a better bourbon and maybe even open their eyes about bourbon. If you want a good one with a bourbon profile that is drinkable, go with the EW Black Label or BIB. Both are cheaper than the JB and taste a WHOLE lot better. The Black label was my eye opening bourbon.

I'll never drink it again, it has the taste that only a beaver could love.

ovh

How do you know what taste a beaver would love. Sounds like you know a little too much about beavers !!

(Somebody? Anybody? pick that one up - please)

(OscarV - you know I'm just kidding but that's like shooting fish in the barrell. - TJ).

I'll never drink it again, it has the taste that only a beaver could love.

ovh

How do you know what taste a beaver would love. Sounds like you know a little too much about beavers !!

(Somebody? Anybody? pick that one up - please)

(OscarV - you know I'm just kidding but that's like shooting fish in the barrell. - TJ).

Apparently, due to their aquatic habitat, beavers were once considered fish for the purposes of the Lenten fast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver#In_dietary_law).

So next time you're eating fish on Friday, think about how nice it might be to taste a big juicy beaver next friday night!

(how was that, Boozer?)

None. Even Bourbon Supreme. :D

If I make a vow not to buy something, it's usually for a principle. Like:

I won't buy Pepsi products. Only Coke, because I live in Atlanta.

I won't shop at Lowe's. Only Home Depot, for the same reason.

I will never, ever, buy a Buick. They willfully and gleefully tried to screw me when I was looking to purchase the redesigned Riviera in 1994. So, I have willfully and gleefully cost them at least 10 car sales since, by talking people out of getting a Buick, when they were just about to buy one. :)

After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed.

TJ

Beam White label to bourbon is Budweiser to beer... BB

.... They willfully and gleefully tried to screw me when I was looking to purchase the redesigned Riviera in 1994. So, I have willfully and gleefully cost them at least 10 car sales since, by talking people out of getting a Buick, when they were just about to buy one. :)

That reminds me of an incident that happened when I was kid. My Grandpa and Grandma took me along when shopping for a new car. Granddad was a farmer and he was dressed in clean but old crappy clothes. The salesman at the Cadillac dealership didn't act like he wanted to sell Grandpa anything. So we went across town to the Oldsmobile dealership. Then we went back to the Cadillac dealership. Grandpa almost hit the salesman, screeched to a halt, rolled the window down and asked the guy.."how do you like my brand new Oldsmobile"?

OK. So, enlighten a n00b. What's the deal with the Woodford Reserve hate?

I can only speak for myself. I was unimpressed with Woodford Reserve. I had a pour in a bar. It seems a lot of folks here feel the same way about Woodford. So, I figured it wasn't just me. With that in mind, I've never bought a bottle.

OK. So, enlighten a n00b. What's the deal with the Woodford Reserve hate?

Some bourbons have a wider range of opinion than others, and seem to be a lightning rod for disagreement. Woodford, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig 12 come to mind. Others seem to offend very few people.

Personally, I have a bottle of WR. I like it O.K. but for me it is unremarkable. At 50% more in price than some that I really enjoy (Knob Creek*, Buffalo Trace, Weller) it's just not special enough for the price.

*KC is $22 in Chicago, some people have to pay a lot more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.