What bourbon have you vowed never to drink?

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well,

I think I approach bourbon a bit differently than you, Nick (and I'm not claiming that "my way" is correct). Rather than making a list of whiskeys that I don't want to try, I guess I try to sample as many as possible, and only then decide which ones I like and which ones aren't my thing. Actually, it took multiple tastings, and in some cases almost an entire bottle, before I grew to appreciate three of my favorite whiskeys (OGD 114, Spring 1990 OFBB, and Ardbeg). I've gone through a couple of bottles of Elijah Craig 12 and sometimes it strikes me as a beautifully balanced drink with fantastic vanilla notes, and other times it's dominated by a flavor that I can only describe as "underside of bottlecap." I can't explain it, but when it's good I like it so much that I'll probably keep buying a bottle now and then.

I wonder if Nick's list reflects bourbons he's vowed to never drink (again)?

I certainly have a long list of bourbons that I will not buy again, and a very short list of bourbons I will not drink again (unless someone buys me a drink). Perhaps the OP can clarify the title of this thread. Each of the interpretations are interesting but they differ markedly and seem prone to confusion and misinterpretation.

I wonder if Nick's list reflects bourbons he's vowed to never drink (again)?

I certainly have a long list of bourbons that I will not buy again, and a very short list of bourbons I will not drink again (unless someone buys me a drink). Perhaps the OP can clarify the title of this thread. Each of the interpretations are interesting but they differ markedly and seem prone to confusion and misinterpretation.

Sorry for the confussion. I wish I could edit the original post but I cannot (it seems there is a short amount of time to do so).

Some of the bottles on my list are bottles that I've never purchased and never will based on what I've read here and elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for finding out for myself what I like and don't but if something is considered so poor by so many, I'm not going to give it a shot. Most, however, are bottles that I have tried and haven't liked and will not buy again.

So, my list is based on what bottles I will never purchase or purchase again. But, I don't mind different interpretations. It's whatever you think it is. Make a list of what you will never buy again and/or make a list of what you will never drink again. It's up to you. Actually, the more interpretations, the more interesting this thread becomse. So, have at it.

Nick, I remember reading about the fire. Is there that much of a difference between a post-1996 EWSB and pre-?

I thought so. The 96 and the 95 have what I call that classic HH profile. Good hints of spice and sweet. IMO. The 97 seemed a bit flatter, lacking something. I don't get the same spice from the 97. I have a bottle of the 94 that I have yet to open, so I can not comment on that. But IMO the 95 and 96 offer more then the 97. I enjoy the 97, but not to the degree that I enjoy 95 and 96.

I will never again drink, for they are gross:

-Old Forester 86

-Ancient Age

-Jim Beam Rye (not bourbon, but I won't touch it)

I will never again purchase, but would not turn down:

-Bulleit

-Woodford Reserve

-Jim Beam White

-ORVW 10/107 (just didn't grab me)

I believe that if your friends will buy you ORVW 10/, you will at some point change your mind and remove it from this list.

I believe that if your friends will buy you ORVW 10/, you will at some point change your mind and remove it from this list.

I concur. Unless, perhaps you just don't like wheaters.

Generally speaking, I love wheaters.

If someone buys it for me, I'll drink it. I spent about four different nights with the ORVW 10/107. I finally started to understand it on the fourth night. I enjoyed it that ultimate night, but man, that was a lot of work to get a few good sips.

Keep in mind: I am an enthusiastic but novice bourbon drinker. I still have much to learn. Certain bourbons tend to overwhelm me.

I will never again drink' date=' for they are gross:

-Old Forester 86

-Ancient Age

-Jim Beam Rye (not bourbon, but I won't touch it)

I will never again purchase, but would not turn down:

-Bulleit

-Woodford Reserve

-Jim Beam White

-ORVW 10/107 (just didn't grab me)[/quote']

Nice lists, Doc.

One of my favorite pours is on one of your lists. Can you figure out which one it is?:grin:

Thanks for contributing.

Nice lists, Doc.

One of my favorite pours is on one of your lists. Can you figure out which one it is?:grin:

Thanks for contributing.

I believe that is an obvious attempt at sarcasm !!!!

I ony have a few I will not buy again (but will take a free-be)

Bulleitt

Ezra Brooks 12

Bookers

EC 18

I believe that is an obvious attempt at sarcasm !!!!

Well, most people who read the "What are you drinking tonight" thread know that I'm a repeat abuser of ORVW 10/107. I don't even drink it anymore. I'm on a drip.:grin:

After reading the thread for a couple of days, I thought I should add a couple of my own findings....

I've only found one bourbon I'd never drink again, and that was Slate Bourbon (an Australian only Chicago bourbon)

There's a few that I've tried , had bad experiences with that I'd be hesitant to buy again -

Jim Beam Black - made me sick - twice :puke:

George Dickel Barrel Select - two bottles tainted.

Elijah Craig 18yo - possible rotten cork - didn't taste right.

Old Grand Dad 114 - definate medicinal/vitamin taste to me

Fighting Cock - nothing but burn the whole glass - couldn't taste anything (did mix well with coke and ice though)

Apart from the JB Black (never again) and the EC 18yo (definately want to try another bottle), I'd happily re-try any of the above if offered at a bar or party, but would hesitate to outlay for a new bottle for myself.

Ones I won't buy again:

Blanton's -- I've got one pour left in the bottle and there has never been an evening where this ever really grabbed me. Just not much going on. Smooth, but I'm not paying $50 for smooth again.

PVW 20 -- It may be heresy to select this one but I just don't enjoy it enough to justify the $90 I spent. My bottle has a fairly pronounced phenol/band-aid character to it and I'd rather have 2 bottles of PVW15 any day.

Old Forester 86 -- spirity and medicinal IMO.

Old Fitzgerald 80 -- too sweet and simple, all walnuts.

Black Maple Hill Small Batch (90 proof) -- this one's really grown on me but unless my budget increases markedly it's just not worth the $53 I dropped.

JB Rye -- just too light for my taste. Why buy this when I can get Rittenhouse BIB for less?

PVW 20 -- It may be heresy to select this one but I just don't enjoy it enough to justify the $90 I spent. My bottle has a fairly pronounced phenol/band-aid character to it and I'd rather have 2 bottles of PVW15 any day.

Notwithstanding the "pheno/band-aid" comment, truer words were never spoken. The PVW 15 is a much better bargain and bourbon, in my opinion.

Although, at shoppersvineyard.com they have PVW 20 for $74.99. It's still in stock, too.

I will never again drink, for they are gross:

-Jim Beam Rye (not bourbon, but I won't touch it

You had to learn the hard way. Another rye to stay away from is Old Overholt. Also made by Beam, probably comes out of the same barrel.

Bakers??? I saw it asked several times, why? If you haven't tried it, you need to. If you have and didn't like it, try another bottle. Its too good to write off..

PS I just scanned down the threads, if you answer it already I"m sorry.

There are two that I would suggest that you reconsider. BAKER'S and Vintage Bourbon. The rest on your list well ok.

There are two that I would suggest that you reconsider. BAKER'S and Vintage Bourbon. The rest on your list well ok.

I keep hearing about Bakers. So, I'm going to give it a shot. The Vintage was a mistake. I just bought the Vintage 17 and think it's very good for a high rye'd bourbon.

Wow...I just must have no taste at all! I am Bourbon-Trash. "Vowed" never to drink? I have only made a couple "vows" and those are for a life time! Maybe it's just semantics and not really "for ever"?

I have had a few Bourbons that were less than impressive, the one that really stands out to me was Ancient Age, but it was pretty much what I expected and if I was offered a glass because that's all they had I would see if maybe there was something to enjoy in it this time around.

There are a many listed I have yet to try, and a few on these lists I have tried that I really enjoy.

Two bottles that seem to change for me...I did not like my first Ridgemont Reserve but the rest have been very good. And EC 12 seems to go back and forth for me, I like it, or its has a little "funk" to it...but it's been better more often than not.

:toast:

I have yet to find a bourbon I wouldn't drink at least once probably twice. Particular bottles yes but I always give the distiller the benefit of the doubt. I've had Chuck's nemesis McCormicks and while not overwhelmed didn't spit it out. Given the choice of Beam bourbons, I'd take Baker's any day. Basil Hayden's? Try it sometime sitting in the old Beam home at the Jim Beam Outpost. Location, location, location. Bourbon Supreme? I'd try it again unless it was the oft tossed Gazebo phallic bottle. Probably the weakest most tasteless bourbon I've ever had was a house bottling for Straub's Markets in St Louis. I found that it worked fine as a "palate sanitizer" between other pours. Old Whiskey River removes warts when applied directly. My only problem with Old Pogue is that the bottle wobbles too much on an unstable table. The bourbon I wouldn't try hasn't been distilled yet. I'd only shy away from something like "Old Pepcycle's Used Bardstown Brisket Plug Filtered Bourbon". That or if I saw a dead rat floating in the bottle. Hmmm, protein additives....maybe.

I'm with Cam. This Slate crap we have down here has been filtered through someone's liver and bottled after it has passed through their bladder.

I don't know why I still have a bottle of this. I would not serve it to anyone.

I dislike JBW, and I doubt I will ever drink it again.

The bottle of Hirsch 16 I have open I will only drink again because of how much it cost me.

Cam - sorry to hear about the GDBS, I will have to open one of mine.

Scott

I'm with Cam. This Slate crap we have down here has been filtered through someone's liver and bottled after it has passed through their bladder.

I don't know why I still have a bottle of this. I would not serve it to anyone.

I dislike JBW, and I doubt I will ever drink it again.

The bottle of Hirsch 16 I have open I will only drink again because of how much it cost me.

Cam - sorry to hear about the GDBS, I will have to open one of mine.

Scott

Scott,

Slate isn't a real bourbon. Slate is a blended bourbon (which is a complete oxymoron). One of the rules of bourbon states that it cannot be altered. Bourbon is the most natural whisky in the world. The rules don't apply in OZ. Another example of this is that bourbon has to be at least 80 proof. If you notice JB White, it's 74 proof. My point is that Slate is a blended whisky, not a bourbon.

Jane

Scott,

Slate isn't a real bourbon. Slate is a blended bourbon (which is a complete oxymoron). One of the rules of bourbon states that it cannot be altered. Bourbon is the most natural whisky in the world. The rules don't apply in OZ. Another example of this is that bourbon has to be at least 80 proof. If you notice JB White, it's 74 proof. My point is that Slate is a blended whisky, not a bourbon.

Jane

I just realized how preachy I sounded. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I do that too much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.