What bourbon have you vowed never to drink?

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At one point I vowed never to drink JB White again. I have since recanted. I have learned that my tastes change over time and I'm willing to give any bourbon another chance. I have also learned that I would rather have JB White than something like vodka.

Jay

I can only speak for myself. I was unimpressed with Woodford Reserve. I had a pour in a bar. It seems a lot of folks here feel the same way about Woodford. So, I figured it wasn't just me. With that in mind, I've never bought a bottle.

I have a bottle of Woodford here opened from last Spring 08 (Batch 250) that's outstanding. Loaded with cinnamon & spice, great on ice. This past autumn I picked up a 50ml by Chris Morris that was completely different, floral. Then I had an older 50ml via Lincoln Henderson that was awful, perhaps it was hanging around the store too long. It's hit & miss... but when you find a good batch, it's usually a great batch. BB

I have to chime in here.Some that I might not buy again are EC18 and Elmer T Lee. The EC18 was Very woody, but worked out fine mixed with 1/2 bottle of EC12. The ETLee seemed very sweet, and flat, maybe someone can shed some light on this one. In regards to the EWSB, it is the single barrel that appeals to me. Yes it does taste different. That is the point. I look forward every year to the release. 10 years one barrel, no blending or mixing. How many other single barrel bourbons are out there ? Everyones taste is different, cheers. Wait for the next years review, and then decide.

How many other single barrel bourbons are out there ?

Good question.

Maybe we should start a new thread on this subject and see how many we can come up with.

After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed.

TJ

Beam White label to bourbon is Budweiser to beer... BB

After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed.

Beam White label to bourbon is Budweiser to beer... BB

----

Your on the money with JB white, but Booker's, or Knob Creek? Both seem to be highly thought of on some of the other posts and certainly Baker's has its fans. Even JB Black gets a few positive nods.

TJ

I'll drink anything. I will not be purchasing JB white, AA preferred blend, Sweet mash, or Sonoma Cut. from woodford. If they show up in my glass....I'll drink'um.

TJ

I'm a big fan of Booker's, love a good bottle of Knob Creek, and the 7 Year Distiller's Series has recently rocked my world in a positive way. And I wouldn't throw out Basil Hayden's or 8 Year Black either, but the White just doesn't cut it with me, and it is perhaps the most popular bourbon in the country?

I've had some great Beam in my day... got some here dating back to the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Nothing wrong with Beam!

BB

Personally, I have a bottle of WR. I like it O.K. but for me it is unremarkable.

Ding ding ding.... I think most people who object to WR will say it is overpriced and under delivering. It is not offensive and I don't know of anyone who hates it, but for the price, it is rather plain.

Why throw many at an ever changing product that you may or may not like when you can buy something that is consistent in flavor profile that you like very much.

That's my thought anyway.

Because part of the joy of bourbon is the hunt. I enjoy tasting the nuances in the master distillers craft from year to year. If I wanted something to drink that tasted exactly the same year to year, I'd drink any massed produced American Beer (sorry Oscar!)

My two cents.

Mark

(though not a bourbon) JD black...

JBwhite

Ten High (but might now, since it's blending....)

Cabin Still

etc

but i often break vows....at least only those between me and I and my whiskey sense...or lack thereof!

i'll actually probably try anything once....from pour to bottle....and i might even return after being burned or bummed for not being burned (how can you get an 80 proof burn!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.