What bourbon have you vowed never to drink?

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried it once, and I'll never drink it again: Ezra Brooks 7-year BIB.

Talk about burn, I felt it all the way down my esophagus into my stomach.

Scott,

Slate isn't a real bourbon. Slate is a blended bourbon (which is a complete oxymoron). One of the rules of bourbon states that it cannot be altered. Bourbon is the most natural whisky in the world. The rules don't apply in OZ. Another example of this is that bourbon has to be at least 80 proof. If you notice JB White, it's 74 proof. My point is that Slate is a blended whisky, not a bourbon.

Jane

Hey Jane,

I know that slate isn't a real bourbon, but try telling the so called 'bourbon drinkers' who have lapped it up that. Clueless fools. If they like that stuff I'm not going to recommend anything else as I already know their taste is in their ass!!:lol:

Probably tastes the same coming back up........:shithappens:

Scott

I thought about this one a little and I don't think I've ever sworn off any bottles. Even when it comes to buying there's really nothing I've ruled out (Well, I'd probably never buy Hirsch 16 or BMH 14 again, but they're not really available anymore and my reasoning is based mostly on price rather than the fact that I didn't think either was so great), even the likes of Jim Beam White may be purchased again by me.

I've only had two that I could not finish. Woodford four grain and Old Forrester 86. I know that one is expensive and the other is a favorite of a lot of folks, but to me they were almost as bad as drinking gin (if gin was the only alcoholic beverage on earth I'd be a tea totaler). There are several on the original list that I really like, most notably Bakers and Bulleit. Does this mean that I have no taste? Possibly. I'm an admitted single malt fan, but I have learned to enjoy bourbon as well. Reading this thread just goes to show how different people's tastes are.

Stu

I've only had two that I could not finish. Woodford four grain and Old Forrester 86. I know that one is expensive and the other is a favorite of a lot of folks, but to me they were almost as bad as drinking gin (if gin was the only alcoholic beverage on earth I'd be a tea totaler). There are several on the original list that I really like, most notably Bakers and Bulleit. Does this mean that I have no taste? Possibly. I'm an admitted single malt fan, but I have learned to enjoy bourbon as well. Reading this thread just goes to show how different people's tastes are.

Stu

It certainly doesn't mean you don't have taste. It just means yours differs from mine. You've got to be the 4th person that's mentioned Baker's so I will give it a try at some point in the near future. But, I love to see the different responese. Some say they'd never swear off any bourbon, others give lists or mention one or two.

Quick mention of Woodford Four Grain. I thought it was liked and disliked fairly equally, based on what I've read.

or BMH 14 again

This is kind of a surprise to me; I think all of the BMH bourbons are pretty decent, and the 14, last I looked, didn't seem to pricy.

As most of you know from reading my posts I am not much a drinker although that is changing lately.

Having said that, I would never ruin a good bourbon by adding coke although I do sometimes add a little water.

However I have yet to find a bourbon that will ruin a good coke so I guess as long as coke is available I have no prohibitions against any bourbon.

:)

Having said that, I would never ruin a good bourbon by adding coke although I do sometimes add a little water.

However I have yet to find a bourbon that will ruin a good coke so I guess as long as coke is available I have no prohibitions against any bourbon.:)

I am still at the phase where I enjoy my Bourbon neat, or sometimes with some ice. I have not yet tried mixing it with a coke, but I guess a good Bourbon would just make a better Bourbon and Coke? That being said, I am not much of a soda drinker...I may go months without one. There are times however I crave a cold Coke like nothing else...it's bizzare to me...not any other soda or drink...just Coke...what's up with that?

As most of you know from reading my posts I am not much a drinker although that is changing lately.

However I have yet to find a bourbon that will ruin a good coke so I guess as long as coke is available I have no prohibitions against any bourbon.

:)

I've never said no to adding coke (and ice) to bourbon - especially on a hot day like today (40C or 104F in the shade) The one exception is Pappy 23.

Unfortunately, I've also got a bottle of Woodford Reserve (duty free gift from a friend) that doesn't taste good on its own, with ice OR with coke. I guess it proves that if a bourbon is bad, there's no saving it :skep:

It's also on my list of probably never buying again as that's two bottles from three that tasted bad.

This is kind of a surprise to me; I think all of the BMH bourbons are pretty decent, and the 14, last I looked, didn't seem to pricy.

It just didn't do it for me. I'd try it again, especially since it seems well reviewed, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. There are too many bottles in the same price range, or cheaper, that I'd find myself reaching for first. I did probably overpay for this one, $65, but even if it were $40 I'd be saying the same thing. Despite this I'm still curious about the other ones...

My last and only purchase of BMH was an 11 yr that was almost undrinkable to me, kind of an overriding chemical taste. Might have been a bad bottle (looking at reviews on the list), but at $45, I haven't been willing to chance it again.

-Kevin

About the only bourbon I vow never to drink is bourbon from a ceramic jug. I've been burned a time too many by mustiness in those "commemerative" ceramics.

Anything else, I'm fair game. Bourbon's a gift from the Almighty, who am I to turn it down? There are, of course, some brands I'm loath to try again. Bakers. J.W. Dant. Old Pogue. But I'm willing to accept that the time and the place mean a lot to the enjoyment of a spirit, and life's too short to turn down a good drink. So, yeah, I'll try another Baker's if you're buyin' :)

I am still at the phase where I enjoy my Bourbon neat, or sometimes with some ice. I have not yet tried mixing it with a coke, but I guess a good Bourbon would just make a better Bourbon and Coke? That being said, I am not much of a soda drinker...I may go months without one. There are times however I crave a cold Coke like nothing else...it's bizzare to me...not any other soda or drink...just Coke...what's up with that?

I'm not a soda drinker either but as of late when I've craved a cold one I really have enjoyed the Weller Antique and Coke. Sounds to me like the Texas really do know what they're doing.

Hmmm...

Kind of a long list. Personally, I never turn down trying a bourbon even though it may not get high marks from folks here on SB. I recently tried Johnny Drum 8 year. To me, it wasn't good neat, but maybe ok as a mixer. One bottle I've tried desperately to like but haven't is my Hirsch 16 year Gold Foil. Either it's a bad bottle or the third iteration was just too long in the tub. I've had the Blue Wax and it was really great. Another I won't drink again is Basil Hayden. I bought a bottle, finished but that's it for me. I noticed that EWSB is on the list. Each year is different, therefore, I purchase at least one bottle each year. If I like it, then I purchase more to bunker. If not, then I wait for the next release. I recently tired Pure KY XO....I like it and wished they sold it here in VA. Vintage 17 I liked, and Old Pogue I like also.

Those I would not buy again...

Woodford Reserve

Mitchner's American Whisky

Basil Hayden

Blanton's (value issue given the price)

In reading the last few days of posting, it reminded me of another one I have not bought in about 30 or more years and the likelihood of ever purchasing again are pretty nil.......JB White.

Nothing against Beam at all. I enjoy many other of their products.....just not that one. Now, if there was nothing else available, I would consider it as a mixer with something strong enough to drown it.....like Father John's cough syrup.

Those I would not buy again...

Woodford Reserve

Mitchner's American Whisky

Basil Hayden

Blanton's (value issue given the price)

Do you mean "Michter's American Whiskey?" If that is what you were refering to, that had one of the strangest tastes in whiskey I ever had. I actually don't know if I should say strange or just plain different. I found it VERY sweet, NOTHING else tastes like it. It kinda started to grow on me as I got further down the bottle. It was so sweet, almost like sugar was added to it.

• 10 months later...
I make a solemn vow never to vow not to drink any bourbon.

Haha, I'm with you on this frog. I've been too pleasantly surprised by some bourbons and too let down by others to swear off trying any bourbon. I don't see how you can reasonably turn down a bourbon you've never had before. Although, I will concede that I have no desire to try JBW since I've heard such poor reviews. If someone offered me a glass for free though, I'd definitely give it a whirl. I'll try to keep an open mind though.

HMMMM....

i often shy away from JD as i do any AH-Busch products...due to the too fake 'all-american' or deep-southern marketing...oy

also, have YET to try the WT80. seems like a bottle of oxymorononic juice.

heck, ALMOST anything 80 proof is suspect...and under probation!

don't think i'll try Woodford Reserve again. or Makers Mark. or JD black. or JB white. or Dickel vitamins. or Knob Creek. or Bulleit (yawn). Buffalo Trace (not the distillery...just that bottling!)

oh yeah.........i will certainly NEVER buy HEAVEN HILL white label, charcoal 'perfect' swill. nothing worse than ferment canned vegetable juice....

Do you mean "Michter's American Whiskey?" If that is what you were refering to, that had one of the strangest tastes in whiskey I ever had. I actually don't know if I should say strange or just plain different. I found it VERY sweet, NOTHING else tastes like it. It kinda started to grow on me as I got further down the bottle. It was so sweet, almost like sugar was added to it.

i thought the unblended version was really stellar. i know, very subjective...and low proof at that! but that was 2 years ago

Old Whiskey River....had enough of that for a lifetime

Great no, good for $10.... I think so. I do not plan on buying a case, but I would take it over JD White

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.