What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm curious - how did the Aberlour 16 do compared to the others?

Of course, there were varying opinions about each whisky. But, in general, the Longmorn was the favorite. The Aberlour 16 was generally the next favored. The opinions - The Longmorn is a very nice multi-layered dram with a high level of complexity. The Aberlour is very smooth with a rich sherry flavor (as expected), but not as complex as the Longmorn. All were very good, but the Glen Moray seemed to be on the bottom of the list for most. The Glenfarclas 21 was very nice, but seemed to fall in about third or fourth.

Bob

A Rob Roy made with Grant's family reserve. Tasty.

...All were very good, but the Glen Moray seemed to be on the bottom of the list for most. The Glenfarclas 21 was very nice, but seemed to fall in about third or fourth.

Bob

I'm not surprised that the Glen Moray finished as an also-ran in this company. But, that said -- and considering price -- I think Glen Moray 12yo is a very fine 'beginner's' single malt. We sell a fair amount of it at my part-time-employing liquor store, and often get customers who 'trade up' afterward, enjoying the genre.

Of course, there were varying opinions about each whisky. But, in general, the Longmorn was the favorite. The Aberlour 16 was generally the next favored. The opinions - The Longmorn is a very nice multi-layered dram with a high level of complexity. The Aberlour is very smooth with a rich sherry flavor (as expected), but not as complex as the Longmorn. All were very good, but the Glen Moray seemed to be on the bottom of the list for most. The Glenfarclas 21 was very nice, but seemed to fall in about third or fourth.

Bob

Longmorn 15 is fantastic. An unbelievable value, as far as singlr malts are concerned.

Last week, I brought a bottle of Lag Cask Strength and a 10 yr Black Bottle on a cruise. By the time I came back home, the lag is gone but the Black Bottle still have a couple of dram which I have last night. For some reason, the whisky taste better at home.

A large dram of WT 101 and a big fat cigar. While sitting on my deck in the sun!!!! It was a great experience!

Tonight it was a nice little pour of

• Regular 10 yr
  • Sherry Finished
  • Port Finished
  • Sauternes Finished
  • 18yr
  • 25yr (special pour - they brought this for the tasting)

With Annabel Meikle Whisky Creator & Sensory Expert Master Distiller from Glenmorangie at Julio's tonight. She and her team are just wonderful folks.

I am not a big scotch fan, but I liked these and the 25 yr was just wonder ful with graet complexities of a bourbon with little to no oak taste to it more than the appropriate balance

What a great Glenmoranie flight.....I am having a wee dram of Glenfarclas 12-a wonderful dram at any price, and even better for $35.

spun_cookie,

Great Glenmorangie line-up! I really enjoy the 18 yo.

Thanks... it was good. The peat in each was mod/low so I really got to enjoy the whiskey. I picked up a Sauternes and Port finish for a couple buddies and got Annabel to sign them... the 18 was tied for my second favorite with teh Sauternes. The 25 yr was the best of the bunch.

What I like about the Sauternes is that it was not real sweet. It was very subtle and added good dimentions to the whiskey. I find the cognac finished whiskeys overpower the whiskey... this was not the case at all here

Tonight it was a nice little pour of

• Regular 10 yr
  • Sherry Finished
  • Port Finished
  • Sauternes Finished
  • 18yr
  • 25yr (special pour - they brought this for the tasting)

With Annabel Meikle Whisky Creator & Sensory Expert Master Distiller from Glenmorangie at Julio's tonight. She and her team are just wonderful folks.

I am not a big scotch fan, but I liked these and the 25 yr was just wonder ful with graet complexities of a bourbon with little to no oak taste to it more than the appropriate balance

Most of my fellow scotch drinkers will tell you that I am one of the biggest Glenmorangie groupies out there. You have no idea how sick with envy I feel right now...

My personal favorite was the Madeira finish, which has been, sadly, discontinued. I look forward to trying their Nectar D'or (the Sauterns finish) some time soon, though...

Eric,

This is one of those "righ place, right time" situations. It was a fluke that I was able to be in town... I went ahead and made the trip from Walthum to Westboro to pick up some bourbon from Julio's. Ryan had told me it was going on Tuesday, so I went down instead of Wednesday like I had planned to. Very glad I did...

I started with Old Fitz, then joined my wife for some Speyside 12. This is from the same distillery that does Drumguish. I had some 5 yr old Drumguish in Scotland some years back and I think this is the same whisky, only 7 years older. It is well named, light, slightly floral, heather - a typical true speyside. Unfortunately I was going back for another wee dram, but my wife killed the bottle. Oh well, on to bigger and better things (i.e. a different bottle).

Tuesday night I sampled my just-purchased Rosebank 13yo sherry-cask-aged alongside some Aberlour a'bunadh. The Rosebank is very light in color and has a delicate malt and sherry nose. On the palate these flavors are again subtle, and the the entry and mid-palate are quite smooth as is the finish.

The a'bunadh, of course, was darker and more full-bodied and added a peat element. Because I'm not a big fan of peat, between these two I preferred the Rosebank.

Last night I compared the Rosebank to some Redbreast 12yo Irish. The Redbreast seemed to have a bourbon element on the nose (I guess it's wholly or partially aged in old bourbon barrels), and much more full-bodied and a touch smoother than the Rosebank. Between these two I prefer the Redbreast.

The Famous Grouse Finest. A very easy drinking well blended scotch!

I am really enjoying a not so wee and soon to be friggin' huge dram of Talisker 18 yr. The Talisker has everything for me, smoke, a little peat, and some peppery spice that just lights up the glass. It is such a smooth and easy drinking scotch. For all those who know me here I'm a Bourbon drinker who was converted from scotch but man this glass just brings me back to what whisky is all about. The only problem is that it really makes me crave a good cigar or at least a cigarette to go with it but alas those days are long past...icon11.gif

Again, Glenlivet 21. The complexity is improving as it opens up from oxidation. Increased maltyness, and a hint of oak and peat begin to slug it out with the sherry, which was too much at first (I am not a lover of sherry bombs). A good whisky, but not as rich as the Nadurra, and frankly not nearly my favorite expressoin of Glenlivet, which I love in older, independent bottelings (and at about the same price).

Balvenie PortWood 1991. They should make this stuff available in the states or at least the 1993 version.

Balvenie PortWood 1991. They should make this stuff available in the states or at least the 1993 version.

I had a bottle that I got from a duty free store in Mexico. I really liked the 91, and the 21 yo Portwood is a great dram...

Starting the evening with a solid dram of Lagavulin 16. Peat layered with smoky peat. Nice and smooth with a little spicy finish,

A dram of Highland Park 12, the new bottle. Extremly good, perhaps a bit more sherry and oak than old- a big whisky.

A hell of a tasting session last night:

The Glendronach Original 12

Oban 14

The Arran Malt Single Cask (cognac finish)

The Balvenie Single Barrel 15

All fantastic malts. It was my first glass of Oban, and I was really impressed, but it runs $89 a bottle here, so I can't see myself buying it any time soon.

It was my second-ever glass of The Balvenie 15, and It was even better than the first time I had it. Quite a remarkable dram.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!