What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well then you'll be trying it before me. I was feeling self-indulgent tonight (long week, long day) so I poured some Hirsch 16 BW.

I guess we're both gun-shy on that one. I ended up ignoring the HP in favor of my peated Island/Islays. How's your Hirsch? I have a few GF bottles bunkered. The BW is legendary.

Tonight it was Aberlour A'Bunadh followed by some Hiighland Park 18. Great contrast here. I was really able to taste all the flavors HP had to offer, some smoke, light peat, and a little spice. Very smooth and chewy and I'm mightily impressed!

Tonight was: Aberlour 15, Jameson 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Old Pulteney 12 and Teachers Highland cream.

Tonight was: Aberlour 15, Jameson 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Old Pulteney 12 and Teachers Highland cream.

Very nice Gov, sounds like a good evening icon12.gif

I guess we're both gun-shy on that one. I ended up ignoring the HP in favor of my peated Island/Islays. How's your Hirsch? I have a few GF bottles bunkered. The BW is legendary.

Not really gun-shy, just didn't feel like doing that eve.

The Hirsch was great. It's the last of four bottles purchased at the end of 1994. It's now about 1/3 full.

Last night we had dinner over at a friend's. Took the HP 18 with me, along with '07 Stagg and a short cigar (AF Hemingway "Short Story").

Before dinner drinks were "sidecars" (Salignac cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice). Dinner was plank-grilled salmon, brown & wild rice pilaf, and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc.

After dinner the host, another guest and I went out to the deck, where I and the guest had HP and the host had some Grand Marnier. I smoked the SS and the host his pipe. The guest, a Scotch drinker, was mightily impressed by the HP.

After that was dessert: fresh-baked marionberry pie, with which I had some GTS (suitably diluted, of course).

I had some pretty good drinks last night as well:

The Glendronach Original 12

Gibson's Finest Rare 18

Longmorn 15

Talisker 10

Topped off with some really potent Purple Kush.

Not really gun-shy, just didn't feel like doing that eve.

The Hirsch was great. It's the last of four bottles purchased at the end of 1994. It's now about 1/3 full.

Last night we had dinner over at a friend's. Took the HP 18 with me, along with '07 Stagg and a short cigar (AF Hemingway "Short Story").

Before dinner drinks were "sidecars" (Salignac cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice). Dinner was plank-grilled salmon, brown & wild rice pilaf, and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc.

After dinner the host, another guest and I went out to the deck, where I and the guest had HP and the host had some Grand Marnier. I smoked the SS and the host his pipe. The guest, a Scotch drinker, was mightily impressed by the HP.

After that was dessert: fresh-baked marionberry pie, with which I had some GTS (suitably diluted, of course).

Man that description made me very hungry. The HP is very remarkable indeed. However it is a subtle scotch and does not follow well after some of the more in-your-face peated Islays. Last night it followed the a'bunadh and the contrast allowed me to finally pick up the light peat and smoke that I couldn't taste the other night because it had followed in the footsteps of Talisker and Lagavulin.

Back in town after a trip out of the country- a bit of Glenfarclas 12, one of the best values in malt. Great balance between malt, sherry and gentle peat...

First tasting of The Balvenie. Started with The Balvenie 12 and now The Balvenie 15 SB. These are both quite good. The 12 reminds me of the a'bunach because of the sherry wood and the 15 reminds me a bit of Highland Park 18 (but less smoke and peat) because of how smooth it is. Really quite exceptional Speysides.

Yeah, The Balvenie Single Barrel is surprisingly subtle, yet at the same time quite rich.

I'm finally being won over by Islay malts. Tried Laphroaig 10 last night and rather liked it. Then I tried Lagavulin 16 for the second time. The first time I really hated it, but last night, wow! One of the best I have tasted! Unbelievably full, creamy malt in the midst of all that smoke. Still the most medicinal-tasting whisky I have had, but the richness of the malt balances it out quite nicely.

Yeah, The Balvenie Single Barrel is surprisingly subtle, yet at the same time quite rich.

I'm finally being won over by Islay malts. Tried Laphroaig 10 last night and rather liked it. Then I tried Lagavulin 16 for the second time. The first time I really hated it, but last night, wow! One of the best I have tasted! Unbelievably full, creamy malt in the midst of all that smoke. Still the most medicinal-tasting whisky I have had, but the richness of the malt balances it out quite nicely.

I agree, the Islay malts are my favorites. The Laga 16 is outstanding. You should try another Island (non-Islay) - The Talisker 18. It is a little less peaty than the Laga 16 but has a very nice spice kick to it.

I agree, the Islay malts are my favorites. The Laga 16 is outstanding. You should try another Island (non-Islay) - The Talisker 18. It is a little less peaty than the Laga 16 but has a very nice spice kick to it.

I have Talisker 10 and I absolutely love it, but I can't afford the 18.

It figures; now that I'm almost done my bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream, I'm finally starting to really enjoy it!

Started with The Balvenie 21 Portwood. Very nice. The finish is long and warm. There wasn't all that much port flavor as one finds in the sherry casks. Darn good whisk(e)y though. Now I'm enjoying some Aberlour A'Bunadh #18...here you can really taste the sherry.

New versions of the HP12 and 18 in a head to head. MUCH prefered the 12, far less woody, much better balance. A turn around from a couple of years ago, when I much prefered the 18. This new 12 is just top notch. Perfect balance of malt, sherry, peat, and oak.

It figures; now that I'm almost done my bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream, I'm finally starting to really enjoy it!

Yes...it is a great blend! Buy another, you will be hooked!

New versions of the HP12 and 18 in a head to head. MUCH prefered the 12, far less woody, much better balance. A turn around from a couple of years ago, when I much prefered the 18. This new 12 is just top notch. Perfect balance of malt, sherry, peat, and oak.

Thats a first!! I love both, but will only buy the 12 because the 18 is over my budget

Thats a first!! I love both, but will only buy the 12 because the 18 is over my budget

A first for me too. I usually had the 18 far above the 12.

And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something :).

I used to live up in Canada so I know a thing or two about the bloody state run liquor commissions and their unbelievably overpriced booze. Not only is the selection crap, what they do have is twice what we pay here in the States. If you lived south of the border you'd be drinking SMS's every day too!

The last time I was up visiting in N.S. I had to buy a bottle of J&B for $45 because anything up the quality chain would need financing. Here I could (but would never even think of buying) J&B for under $20 and 1.75L for $30.

I bought a 12 pack of Coronas there for $25 plus deposit Arrrgghh!. I can get a 24 pack here for $20 with deposit!!! It made me sick... next time I'm going up there with a van full of booze to survive the trip!icon10.gif

I used to live up in Canada so I know a thing or two about the bloody state run liquor commissions and their unbelievably overpriced booze. Not only is the selection crap, what they do have is twice what we pay here in the States. If you lived south of the border you'd be drinking SMS's every day too!

The last time I was up visiting in N.S. I had to buy a bottle of J&B for $45 because anything up the quality chain would need financing. Here I could (but would never even think of buying) J&B for under $20 and 1.75L for $30.

I bought a 12 pack of Coronas there for $25 plus deposit Arrrgghh!. I can get a 24 pack here for $20 with deposit!!! It made me sick... next time I'm going up there with a van full of booze to survive the trip!icon10.gif

Well, I'm glad someone here knows where I'm coming from. Every time I read about someone in the US complaining about prices, I want to say some nasty things. If I want Lagavulin 16, it will cost me $99, for instance.

Tonight I started with Highland Park 18 and then enjoyed a nice smoky dram of Lagavulin 16. Life is good.

Megawatt, I can get Lagavulin here for under $60 on a bad day. My current bottle was had on sale for under $50. Is free health care really worth it icon12.gif? Just kidding ya. But honestly, when I first moved down to the States I couldn't believe how affordable everything was (except housing). No GST, PST, 60% income tax, and cheap booze! Live Free or Die Baby! (the first state I lived in was New Hampshire and I loved their tag line on their plates icon10.gif)

I just purchased a bottle of Balvenie SherryOak 17-year. This is a limited edition bottling of 17-year Balvenie matured exclusively in Oloroso Sherry Butts.

It's good. REALLY good.

This one had a pleasant balance of fruit and spice-- Heather Honey in the nose, followed by notes of dried figs or dates, with a warm spiciness, like Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I firmly believe Balvenie represents, easily, some of the best of what Speyside has to offer.

I just purchased a bottle of Balvenie SherryOak 17-year. This is a limited edition bottling of 17-year Balvenie matured exclusively in Oloroso Sherry Butts.

It's good. REALLY good.

This one had a pleasant balance of fruit and spice-- Heather Honey in the nose, followed by notes of dried figs or dates, with a warm spiciness, like Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I firmly believe Balvenie represents, easily, some of the best of what Speyside has to offer.

Sounds delicious. I haven't seen that around but I'll pay more attention to it from now on.

Sounds delicious. I haven't seen that around but I'll pay more attention to it from now on.

I paid about $90 for the bottle. But I decided it was a worthwhile investment, as it is a limited edition bottling. Mine is a late-2007 bottling. I think they will continue bottling this one through at least the end of the year... *crosses fingers*...

...hopefully...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!