What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Slumming tonight with Glenfiddich 12 yr special reserve. Not too bad for a cheap SMS. A little astringent flavor in the finish but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Slumming tonight with Glenfiddich 12 yr special reserve. Not too bad for a cheap SMS. A little astringent flavor in the finish but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

does this taste any different from the old bottling (did not say special reserve)

does this taste any different from the old bottling (did not say special reserve)

I'd say it's a little smoother from what I remember. In fact I was expecting worse. I hadn't had a taste in long while though. I finished the night with a nice old dram of Laga 16 so everything is alright now icon12.gif

Yesterday I had some Glenrothes Vintage 1991. Love those Speysides.

Caol Ila 12 yr and then Talisker 13yr Distillers Edition. Now moving on to bourbon with WLW Centennial 13yr (Julio's edition)

A'Bunadh #21. Each time I have this whisky, I am reminded how really good it is!

I did a side-by-side comparison of Glenfiddich 12 and 18 last night. The 12 was fruitier, with sweet apple flavours, while the 18 had a woody, spicy taste and aroma. This weekend I will get into my new bottle of Solera Reserve. Judging from the nose, it will be quite complex and layered, with some good bourbon notes from the new oak...

Macallan 18yr Fine Oak finish. Some iodine, grass, then lots of vanilla. Not as good as the regular expression (sherry finished), IMO, nor worth the high price.

Very much enjoying a neat pour of Highland Park 18. Marvelous flavors, nice long finish, and so smooth its incredible. Every time I reach for this I pick up different flavors. Tonight I can't taste any of the smoke or peat that I did last time... odd that it comes and goes. The last time I had it after some Balvenie 21 Portwood and immediately tasted the contrast of smoke and peat in the dram... tonight I can't find it... I guess it's so subtle that you really need to have a contrast to pick it up.

It isn't exactly a Wee Dram, in the proper sense, but tonight I purchased a bottle of Bushmills 10 year Single Malt-- a steal at 13 bucks off (barely more than the regular Bushmills now...)

A very nice dram, much in the manner of the Glenmorangie Wood Finish series. The American Oak is definitely dominant-- I picked it up at first whiff. The Spanish Oak is there... but you really have to look for it. With a small sip, you can pick up a note of cream sherry with a walnut-like dryness, both of which are tasting notes I have found in other spirits matured in Spanish Oak, such as the MacAllan, the Dalmore, and the Balvenie Sherry Wood.

While previous versions of this single malt were more heavily-sherried, it is worth mentioning that the Bushmills website does mention that the maturation is now mainly American Oak. Quite frankly, I'm fine with that. If I want a fruitier whiskey, there's always the 16-year Triple Wood, which is matured in American, Spanish, and Portugese Oak. To be honest, the difference between Spanish and Portugese casks is negligible at best.

If anything, to round out their lineup, I think Bushmills NEEDED a single malt that displayed the character of American Oak. IMHO, though Jim Murray isn't thrilled with it, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy it.

I had some Bushmills recently, a 16 year version (seemingly American oak or mostly) bottled for the LCBO in Canada.

It had the waxy flourish so typical of many Irish whiskeys, yet is an all-barley malt product whereas the Jameson pot still whiskey and that type from Irish Distillers is pure pot still (using some unmalted barley).

I wonder what accounts for this similarity?

One would think it might be the lack of peat in Bushmills yet Scots whiskies I've had, even Lowlands, don't really have this waxy-like note. I wonder if it is a characteristic of Irish malting barleys.

Gary

I had some Bushmills recently, a 16 year version (seemingly American oak or mostly) bottled for the LCBO in Canada.

It had the waxy flourish so typical of many Irish whiskeys, yet is an all-barley malt product whereas the Jameson pot still whiskey and that type from Irish Distillers is pure pot still (using some unmalted barley).

I wonder what accounts for this similarity?

One would think it might be the lack of peat in Bushmills yet Scots whiskies I've had, even Lowlands, don't really have this waxy-like note. I wonder if it is a characteristic of Irish malting barleys.

Gary

I think it has something to do with the water and the type of still.

Clynelish, from the Eastern Scottish Highlands, definitely has a rather pronounced waxiness to it. But that is from a build-up of non-toxic sludge that pot stills accumulate throughout the distilling season. Most distillers clean this sludge out of their stills. Clynelish does not.

I don't know if there exists a similarity here, but it is possible.

I'll have to check out Clynelish, thanks.

Gary

Balvenie Double Wood 12. I really like this oneicon14.gif. Very nicely priced as well at $40.

I agree. Very nice neat or to pick up any blended scotch (its relatively mild, full taste, neither peaty nor sherried, is perfect for this).

Gary

I agree. Very nice neat or to pick up any blended scotch (its relatively mild, full taste, neither peaty nor sherried, is perfect for this).

Gary

I taste the sherry notes in there but they are not nearly as overwhelming as in the a'bunadh. I love the a'bunadh but sometimes I have to kind of search a bit for some of the other flavors in there.

Dalmore 12. I'm feeling a bit scotchy late this afternoon as I'm waiting the wife to come back from the graduation of one of her coworker's son.

I've heard good things about Dalmore, but it seems I can't get it around these parts...

I opened my bottle of Glenfiddich 15 last night. Wonderful whisky! Has about everything I look for in a Speyside. It starts off with silken honey and delicate, fruity sherry, not dominant as in The Balvenie, for instance. Then there is considerable boubon notes, plus a grassy, zesty licorice or root beer flavour, followed by some good spice and a slightly bitter, oaky finish. Very nicely layered and well-balanced.

Started with The Balvenie 15 yr. I like it very much but I might give the edge to the 12 yr tonight. Now I'm on to a vatting of 1/3 Caol Ila 12 and 2/3 Lagavulin 16 (needed to kill the Caol Ila 12 and it was too wee a dram otherwise). The Lagavulin really overpowers and I can't tell any difference here with Caol Ila added... they're both real peaty so I didn't really expect to taste any difference either.

Tonight I started with Talisker 18 and now enjoying a solid pour of Highland Park 18.... life is good with these two scotches.

Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 ($43). Love the HP18 and I'd heard great things of this one (won double gold at the SF World Spirits competition). I love it too. A little raspier than it's older brother but still smooth as hell. Very flavorful too. So glad I got it as now maybe I won't kill my 18 as quickly.

After the HP12 I'm on to another year old - The Balvenie Doublewood 12yr. Also terrific as usual. Picked a bottle of this up today for $50 as well to replace one I killed. I could have paid $10 less if I'd taken a ride out to another store but the 1.5 hrs round trip hardly seemed worth it given the heat and the price of gas these days. Might be cheaper soon to put HP in the tank !

Damn, I want to try Ardbeg but they just stopped selling it in my province. I'm still surprised that I got into the Islays so quickly after really being turned off of them at first.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!