What is your Favorite American Beer Now and what did you like many years ago?

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Actually by checking the brand name Old German, I think I know what happened to the brand. In Robertson's book, he shows a picture of a label for Old German Brand beer. The script of the Old German name (the typeface I mean) is a Germanic style that is almost identical to what appears on your bottle from 1939. And on the side of the Old German label in Robertson's (1970's-era) book, it states, Yeungling. So clearly Yeungling bought the trade mark, either directly or indirectly from Poth Brewing Co. By 1939, your beer possibly was made by Yeungling. Or maybe it was from the last stocks made by Poth Brewing which closed in 1936 according to the other book I mentioned. Or another Philly brewer bought Poth's beer names in 1936 and made what you have and that brewer later sold the name to Yeungling or an assignee of the former of the Old German name did so. Hey I thought I was off work! :)

Gary

Gary Great news I just bought Robersons Book you have on E Bay for $2.25 paper back. It will be a wonderful thing to have I am sure and it has been with your help so many times. These History things as you know really are enjoyable for me. I was just reading something on the web yesterday about Gretz beer the brand stayed around longer then I thought as Ruppert Was the Last to make it after Esslinger went under. I had thought that Esslinger was the last to make Gretz. I have such fond memories of the old motor powered Sign with the man riding the high wheel bike and the bucket of Beer swinging on the handle bars and the dog running beside him. The sign was giant and was at the corner of Board & Chew Street in Phila I wonder if any of the members from this area remember it too? In my mind I can picture myself in the Back of my Dads 1953 Chevy the first time I saw it then the next time in his used 1955 Caddy Coupe De vile!

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dave Z

When I was at the large Flee Market yesterday I bought some Vintage Kinsey and Continental Distilling Labels but I also bought this Poth Beer Label below it is not from their 31st and Jefferson St Brewery but their one at 10th Street which also still stands it is owned By Temple University and they converted the Building into Dorms which saved it from being torn down!

post-1964-14489814366629_thumb.jpg

This morning I am thinking about Jones Brewing maker of Fort Pitt, Old Shay Golden Cream Ale, Stoneys and Esquire Premium Beer. Sadly the name goes on but the brewery is now closed about a year or two now. I used to love Fort Pitt always picked some up when way up state Pa. From what I have heard they are having Pittsburg Brewing make Stoneys for them but I have yet to find any. The brewery from what I have read is still there in tack. Another old Brewer gone the way of high cost and big Brewerys!

Dave Z

=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=

Jesskidden this one's for you took some pictures of my Champagne Velvet Cone Beer Can thought you would enjoy these pictures of it! Never had any but would figuer it was a good Beer! Enjoy

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post-1964-14489814368439_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814368715_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814368995_thumb.jpg

Jesskidden this one's for you took some pictures of my Champagne Velvet Cone Beer Can thought you would enjoy these pictures of it!

Thanks for the photo of "CV". Growing up in the northeast, I don't have a lot of knowledge or nostalgia for the great mid-West brands, of course, but Champagne Velvet also get a "asterisk" as being a brand immortalized by the great Bluesman, Howlin' Wolf. Wolf did a song (back before he moved to Chicago and recorded at Chess) at Sun Studios called "CV Blues" (in some cases, it's listed as "Champagne Velvet Blues" even tho' that name isn't used in the lyrics).

Now, here's where things get confused. A lot of those early Memphis recordings by the Wolf were long out of print in the US and eventually they started appearing on imported records, and somewhere along the way, some companies started calling it "CV WINE Blues" "- "Drinkin' CV Wine", etc.,in part, I guess, 'cause they were confused that a beer would have the word "Champagne" in it. Do a search for the lyrics, and lots of them are just wrong.

For one thing, in the US one did not order a "bottle" of wine in a bar, and the lyrics clearly are "Come here bartender, bring me a bottle of C.V.".

Champagne Velvet Beer was a big local beer in Memphis- I believe that Dewey Phillips (the first DJ to play an Elvis Presley record) did ads for Champagne Velvet on his famous Memphis radio show, for instance.

------------

I was listening to Howlin' Wolf one night in the 1980's when I was rushing to the bar after work. It was in NY state, and the local bars stopped serving at 1am, and I got out of work at 12:45am, so I'd buy 6 bottles as soon as I'd arrive and slowly drink them for an hour or so.

"Gimme six CV's!" I shouted over the juke box. Bartender looked puzzled, shook his head no.

"No? It's not 1am, yet!"

"What's CV?"

D*mn! I ordered the wrong beer! I wanted six OV's- the nickname for the Canadian beer Old Vienna, which came in 7 oz. clear bottles and sold for 3 for $1.

Heres a blast from the Past coming Back. Highlander beer which was last made 40 yrs ago is returning as a Micro Brew as a Red Scottish Ale! Here is the web page

http://ifitaintscottish.com

Highlander was made back in the day by Missoula Brewing in Missoula Montanna. I think this is great seeing all these old Brands coming back- IE - Reading, Narragansett and Now Highlander. Hopefully it will be a great beer! If any members live out that way let us know what it is like!

Dave Z

Beer Its not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I think this is great seeing all these old Brands coming back- IE - Reading, Narragansett and Now Highlander. -

I keep meaning to make up a complete list, but of all the old brands that have been "revived" in "craft beer era", as contract brews or new brands from craft breweries, the "succeeded (so far)" list is not as long as the "failed" one.

Off hand, I can think of these that fall into the latter category:

Rhiengold (several attempts, actually)

Pickwick Ale (Harpoon)

Champagne Velvet

Frank Jones Ale (again, bounced around)

Weidemeyer (still available, but doesn't seem to be doing much)

Lemp

Olde Heurich

Augsburger (most reports have Stevens Point no longer brewing it)

Ortlieb

Neuweiler

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of them.

Here is a beer I never heard of or drank from Chicago 9-0-5 Beer brewed by 9-0-5 Brewing Chicago IL. Picked it up for my collection at the flee market I got my Vinage Bottle of Whiskey at. Just has a big 9-0-5 on the Can! Anyone know anything about this one?

Beer Its more Than Just A beverage beer Is Food

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Here is a beer I never heard of or drank from Chicago 9-0-5 Beer brewed by 9-0-5 Brewing Chicago IL. Just has a big 9-0-5 on the Can! Anyone know anything about this one?

I believe "905" was a big liquor store chain in the Chicago area (maybe still around?), so it was simply a private label store brand. Bounced around for years - don't know which Chicago brewery brewed it, but it was also made later by Associated and Heileman IIRC.

Anyone familiar with Grainbelt or Grain Belt beer? My son moved to Minnesota recently and said he liked this beer and the price was very reasonable. Anyone know it?

Anyone familiar with Grainbelt or Grain Belt beer? My son moved to Minnesota recently and said he liked this beer and the price was very reasonable. Anyone know it?

The Schell Brewery took over the famous Grain Belt label after the failure of the Heileman spin-off Minnesota Brewing Co. There's a very good "history" of the label on the Schell's website for Grain Belt Premium. (Written by a historian of MN breweries.) As noted, the original Grain Belt brewery, Minneapolis Brewing Co., was bought and closed by the infamous Irwin Jacobs, who was also involved in the long battle between Heileman and General-Falstaff-Pearl's equally infamous Paul Kalmanovitz over Pabst in the 1980's.

Certainly, from all indications, one example of a successful beer brand being brought back from near dead. They seem to imply (last page of the "History") that the older, heavier "Golden Grain Belt" was brewed for a time but "phased out" and now it's only "Grain Belt Premium" and a light version.

Thanks Jess. Have you tried it? If so, what do you think about it?

Thanks Jess. Have you tried it? If so, what do you think about it?

Haven't had the current Schell's brewed version. Last time I was in the area (spent a month at our sister plant in St. Paul) Grain Belt was still just another Heileman cheapie brands. I don't even remember if I had one- I do remember the giant Grain Belt sign, tho' (and thinking, "Man, they should do something with "free" advertising like that." Of course, I said that when I saw the "restored" Jax Brewery in NOLA, and no one's revived that one yet. I guess it's a Pabst owned label, since Pearl bought the label after the brewery's demise.)

Anyway, I remember lots of Leinenkugel (already bought by Miller, but not into all the "flavored" stuff yet, just their "regular") and I bought whatever Schell's brands I could find.

The "new" Grain Belt gets relatively good reviews for a "macro light lager" on some of the beer review sites (altho' clear glass bottles always give me the willies- screw that sort of "tradition"). Still, it is sad that the "Golden Grain Belt" couldn't make it.

What's often forgotten with the tiny success of "craft beer" (still less than 4% of the market) is that the bulk of the beer sold in the US is still macro style "light lager" and, ever increasingly, "light beer". Pretty sure that "light beers" now make up close to 1/2 the market. (4 of the top 5 brands, etc.).

One of my Favorite Beers when I was a young man was Neuweiler brewed in Allentown pa it was a smooth Crisp Flavorful Beer. I drank more of it and Schmidt's then anything else. Sadly even though it is still standing the Buildings sit rotting! In their day Neuweiler was a beer that was very big in pa!

Dave Z

One of my Favorite Beers when I was a young man was Neuweiler brewed in Allentown pa it was a smooth Crisp Flavorful Beer. I drank more of it and Schmidt's then anything else. Sadly even though it is still standing the Buildings sit rotting! In their day Neuweiler was a beer that was very big in pa!

Dave Z

Does anyone remember Neuweiler and if so did you ever drink it and what did you think of it? I liked it alot back in the day and it was a cheap price and a very Flavorful beer as far as I remember they almost made a hundred years falling short at 86 yrs. The Buildings are still standing but not being used sadly.

Dave Z

==================================

I remember Neuweiler Dave and I'm sure I drank some, but it was all too long ago for me to remember if I liked it.

Joe :usflag:

I remember Neuweiler Dave and I'm sure I drank some, but it was all too long ago for me to remember if I liked it.

Joe :usflag:

Thats ok Joe, Question for you have you or anyone else tried the new beer from the Lion called -Steg 150- I got some last Night and it is delightful by itself or with a nice shot of Bourbon! If you have not tried it I recomend it pours copper color with a smell of Sweet Malts & Fruits and Hops. It has a big Head and the head sticks around with just the right amount of Carbonation. In your Mouth it has the taste of Sweet Malts with fruits and mild balancing Hops. It tastes delightful and is mild so you can drink a bunch but at the same time it is Highly Flavorful. The Lion makes alot of good beers but this one is the way a Lager should be!

This will be a Beer I will get regularly.

Dave Z

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A beer I am really enjoying these days besides The New Reading Premium is Victory Lager from Victory Brewing in Downingtown Pa. It is light smooth and very refreshing, they are more famous for their Hop devil but the Lager is worth every penny. You can just sit and drink a bunch with or without Whiskey and the last tastes as good as the First one!

It very Much reminds me of the old beers when I was young, sort of a Extra High quality Schmidt's or Ballantine Beer. Each April they have a celebration on the day Prohibition ended and make up a draft beer that uses most of the stuff that Schmidt's was made with. The old timers from Schmidt's that are still living go there offten too!

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A beverage beer Is Food

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A beer I am really enjoying these days besides The New Reading Premium is Victory Lager from Victory Brewing in Downingtown Pa. It is light smooth and very refreshing, they are more famous for their Hop devil but the Lager is worth every penny. You can just sit and drink a bunch with or without Whiskey and the last tastes as good as the First one!

It very Much reminds me of the old beers when I was young, sort of a Extra High quality Schmidt's or Ballantine Beer. Each April they have a celebration on the day Prohibition ended and make up a draft beer that uses most of the stuff that Schmidt's was made with. The old timers from Schmidt's that are still living go there offten too!

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A beverage beer Is Food

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For anyone who wants to read about Victory Brewing here is their site I just tried their Sunrise Weissbier last Night it is wonderful, and for those who want lots of Hops their Hop Devil does the job!

www.victorybeer.com

They are in downing town pa and they make some great beers!

Dave Z

Beer Its not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

------------------------------------------

One of the beers I would love to ahve tried back in the day was Old Topper Ale & Topper Pilsner. Made at first by the old Rochester Brewing Company and later by others.

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------

Another old Beer I never had was Great Falls Select beer brewed by Great falls brewery in Great falls Mont! I just read on the web that some Kids set fire to part of the old Brewery last year sadly. They went out of Bussiness in 1968 but alot of the buildings are being used by a machining Company yet. I wondered if anyone here had ever had it and was it a good beer? I have an old Flat top can in my collection. I just tried a new beer Last night that is brewed in Phila in a old Brewery there the old Wiesbrod & hess Oriental Brewing Company brewery built in 1885 when they bought it in 2001 no beer had been brewed there since the late 1930's The brewer is Philadelphia brewing and the beer is Rowhouse Red a Red Belguim Ale it is a very complex Ale and takes a couple of Bottles to get used to as has a very Peppery and dry taste at first with lots of fruit taste also. After my 3rd and last one last night I was enjoying it very much but was time to quit it has a ABV of 5% not heavy but it does come on strong and was drinking it with Rock & Rye!

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• 3 weeks later...

Well my new favorite is a blast from the past >>> Schlitz. Not the Malt Liquer but the classic Pilsner. Back in the mid eighties when I became of age the gusto had left the beer they where making. It did not have a very good reputation. And even though it was cheap it was hard to drink. Everyone knew sombody that worked or had worked at one of the many breweries in Milwaukee. The city smelled of brewing beer. Pabst now owns the rights to the brand and has dug up the recipe from the 1960's. And it is my new all around general beer. The type that you always keep around because everyone will enjoy it. Great balanced flavor with and a little bit of hops.

The beer that made Milwaukee Famous is back!

I just picked up a six-pack of Michelob (not Light, Ultra, or any of that other mess, just plain old Michelob) to go with my Labor Day barbecuing chores. It is quite good, kind of like a Bud but with some depth and hops. Imminently thirst quenching.

Tim

The American beers I love now are many and varied, though my most consumed American brew is probably Bridgeport IPA, a traditional British IPA (i.e. well-balanced and terrific with food or on its own) except done with some American hops.

The first beer I really liked was Michelob Dark, which was discontinued just under a decade ago. I drank it regularly when I first got out on my own, since it was relatively cheap and very good (IIRC).

Regards,

I keep meaning to pick up some Michelob, but I keep forgetting.

About a year and a half ago they went back to the bottle of my youth and to their even older all-malt recipe. They ditched the rice adjunct, so it's even more like beer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.