So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Partagas P2 this evening. Not a big figurado fan but tonight this one was a fine smoke...

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning day here so the PC is out back.... enjoying a Quai D'Orsay Gran Corona.. 2004..

CAO La Traviata. I smoked a robusto size which is comprised of tobacco's from Cameroon, Nicaragua and the DR. The cost was $5.40 at my local shop.

The cigar was beautifully made and looked gorgeous. Perfect draw. The flavor was up front, bold and had a creamy texture. It was appealing with notes of roasted nuts, light earth and wood. Medium strength and well balanced. The burn was perfect but it was a young cigar which every now and then produced some harsh flavors. Overall it was decent.

Given the price and construction the La Traviata was an OK cigar. My major issue with this CAO was that it was lacking in complexity and finish. It was consistent from front back which left me a bit bored half way through. No flaws, just nothing of great interest.

Tonight I enjoyed a Cohiba Lonsdale Grande with a pour of Eagle Rare 17 on the front porch after the sun went down. As the temps here have been over 103 for the last several weeks, it was a great way to start the weekend.

Tonight was a La Reloba Seleccion Sumatra by My Father Cigars.

This was a flavorful cigar from the start. Medium strength, spicy and well balanced. Pleasing flavor profile and good concentration of earth, cedar and a hint of sweetness. Finish was OK. The flavor profile was consistent with no bitter notes. Very straight forward, no flaws but nothing that had me asking for another puff.

This afternoon I tried my first Cain F 550 which I found locally for $7.60. As with the other NC's ... great construction. The first problem however is my local shop which I asked to recommend medium strength cigars... This Cain was clearly a ligero heavy cigar as it was IMO a strong cigar.

Strong out of the chutes the Cain F did not exhibit a tremendous amount of flavor.... it was more strength. To me it was unbalanced and exhibited a young tobacco flavor profile. Interesting but lacking in flavors that appeal to my palate. I smoked it to the last third... not much happening with this cigar for me... strong, one dimensional and lacking in nuance. May be the ticket for others but not I.

Tonight my cigar was a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto... referred to as the black label DPG. This was $7.70 at my local shop.

Perfect construction, flawless wrapper and beautiful. DPG can make a stunning cigar. I find this one to be medium to the strong in strength with a toasty tobacco flavor. No harshness, very straight forward flavors and a decent smoke. Some interesting flavor nuances drift in and out... spice, hints of sweetness and cedar. Decent balance and hints of complexity. Finish is very slight. A decent smoke... but for the most part fairly one dimensional.

Samule Gawith's Full Virginia Flake in a 1909 Patent Era Peterson

I'm not smoking and haven't for 19 years now, but recently in the States I saw behind the counter pouches of Top tobacco. That brought back memories from my early 20's. At that time, I lived in Montreal. We used to go down to Plattsburgh, NY to visit the bars and restaurants (and in my later 20's, to buy bourbon and beer to bring back).

I used to roll my own sometimes in Canada, I'd use either Export "A" or Player's. I preferred the former which had quite a different taste, heavy and creosote-like.

So in the U.S., I'd look for their brands of loose tobacco. From what I could see, there was imported stuff considered high end, notably Drum from Holland, and inexpensive stuff like Top. I don't recall seeing Camel loose tobacco for example, or Kent, etc., but maybe it existed. Anyway I tried the Top and liked it well enough. I bought a blue Top rolling machine which I loved using. It had rollers the color of chewing gum. Probably it came with the tobacco as a special offer.

By the later 70's I had tried to quit a couple of times (finally succeeding some years after I moved to Toronto), by which time I wasn't using loose tobacco any more, so I didn't look for it in the border cities near here such as Buffalo.

I completely forgot about Top tobacco for almost 40 years until last week I saw it behind the counter of a small store in Sonoma. And so the memories rushed back.

Ah yes the days of a Matt's Premium or Andeker or Ballantine IPA and a rollie to go with it. (No dope, never used it). Put I Don't Need No Doctor on the stereo to "volumes unheard" and you lived a kind of dream even if you didn't know it.

And you didn't (or I didn't) need a doctor, then.

Gary

Tonight I enjoyed a Romeo Y Julietta Reserva Real while grilling steaks. Life is good.

Smoked another of the short Kristoff maduro robustos. Upon second try, while still good, I think I'll move them to the back of the humidor for a couple of years. Need to grow up a little. A little disappointing since every other Kristoff I've had has been very good.

Last night I smoked a Tatuaje La Riquesa No.2, a belicoso shaped cigar. Very nice pre-light aroma of spice and soil..clearly a Nicaraguan cigar. Very well made and attractive looking. This cigar was $9 at my local shop.

The taste was quite good with typical Nicaraguan flavors… spice, leather, cedar and earthy tobacco. The cigar had a nice sweetness to it. The cigar was medium in strength and very well balanced with no bitterness. The ligero was under control and the tobacco appeared to have some age on it. Decent finish, fair complexity.

Overall the La Riqueza was a good smoke but IMO not a great value for $9+ a stick.

I recently took pipe smoking up again. I quit several years ago smoking altogether, as I was a pack a day smoker. I have really been enjoying my pipe. Lately I have been smoking a lot of carter hall. Good cheap tobacco. But my farorite Kentucky Club mild should be on the doorstep anyday.

Last evening was a Tatuaje Havana in a robusto size.... actually a very nice cigar with decent complexity and balance....

Last night was great so I sat on the bourbon deck and had a Fuente Anejo Reserva Xtra Viejo. The per stick price was a little salty but it was a great cigar. Lots of chocolate.

Joe :usflag:

Last night was great so I sat on the bourbon deck and had a Fuente Anejo Reserva Xtra Viejo. The per stick price was a little salty but it was a great cigar. Lots of chocolate.

Joe, you probably could have bought a real nice bottle of bourbon for the cost of that stick!!!

Some Carter Hall in a Gandalf figural Meerschaum carved by I. Baglan

post-3039-14489817367949_thumb.jpg

My buddy, Shay, gifted me a Shark for my birthday:bigeyes:. I'm looking forward to finding the right occasion to enjoy it.

Today is another perfect cigar day in Va. Reached into the humi for a custom Toboada "Horsey Tail" from 2006. 45x9.5"...Perfect draw, flavors of damp soil, cedar, bitter sweet cocoa, espresso with hints of pepper and Asian spice notes. Classic Toboada with a perfect draw, balance and complexity. Creamy mouth feel and a long finish....

post-1354-14489817368191_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817368607_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817369027_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817369472_thumb.jpg

This evening I enjoyed a Romeo Y Julietta Churchill on the front porch with a pour of Old Charter 10 y/o. I have a box of Arturo Fuente Hemingway Perfecto's enroute. I'm looking forward to these. As usual I have to order these as we have no smoke shop in my town.

A while back, my cigar of the month club included a Torano Fortress, and I enjoyed it; earlier this week I ordered some. I didn't expect them until next week, but the UPS man brought me a surprise last night; naturally I dove right in. A little peppery at first light, quickly settled down into a smooth, flavorful, but not too heavy smoke. It burned evenly and slowly, really a beautiful smoke and at a bargain price. Highly recommended! Same delivery included a selection of 5 Vegas torpedoes, I expect I'll be sampling them this weekend as well.

Hidden

Last night on the deck under the ceder tree

th_DSCF1275.jpg

That is a Churchill size Cohiba Maduro 5 from Habana that followed me home from Iraq :rolleyes:

Last night on the deck under the cedar tree...

That's a Churchill size Cohiba Maduro 5 from Habana that followed me home from Iraq :rolleyes:

post-6301-14489817375108_thumb.jpg

I have a Fuente Dbl Chat Mad for tonight, probably going with ETL.

While whiskey and cigars naturally go well together, some combinations are really special. I recently had a Fuente 858 nat with 1792. While i enjoy 1792, it isnt my regular, and neither is 858, but on that day that combination was extremely good, perfect together.

Honduras Carribean Claro with Knob Creek Single Barrel. Nothing to write home about but a decent smoke.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!