So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just smoked two Cohiba Pequenos little cigars. Not sure what the consensus is on these, as I'm far from an expert, but they're not bad.

Just smoked two Cohiba Pequenos little cigars. Not sure what the consensus is on these, as I'm far from an expert, but they're not bad.

Like it is with Bourbon, nobody is more of an expert in what you like than you are.

That being said, it really depends on which Cohiba it is... as there are three.

1. Cuban Cohibas - difficult to get in the US, usually a very good cigar, but has some quality issues and the risk of fakes is high. Expensive... but when you get a good one, they are damn near perfect.

2. Dominican Cohibas - similar band as the Cubans, very light taste, almost boring. The only time I smoke these is when somebody gives them to me thinking that the name Cohiba means it is a top cigar, and I don't want to appear ungrateful.

3. Honduran Cohibas. Made in Honduras (obviously) by General Cigar. Easy to spot because they have a red dot in the "O" in the name on the band. Also the band is completely different from the other 2. Rich flavor. Much better than the Dominican, not as good as the Cubans, but far more consistent and without the risk of fakes. A bit more expensive than I care to spend, there are other things I would be more likely to get for the price.

To put it in bourbon terms, the Cubans is like Pappy 20, the hard to get standard that all others are measured by, but you aren't sure if you are getting S-W or BT juice. The Dominican would be more like Rebel Yell, a weak watered down replica and the Honduran would be Maker's Mark, a quality product that while not up to Pappy is good in its own right, if a bit overpriced for what it is.

But, cigars like bourbon has a high YMMV factor to it. So smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Like it is with Bourbon, nobody is more of an expert in what you like than you are.

That being said, it really depends on which Cohiba it is... as there are three.

1. Cuban Cohibas - difficult to get in the US, usually a very good cigar, but has some quality issues and the risk of fakes is high. Expensive... but when you get a good one, they are damn near perfect.

2. Dominican Cohibas - similar band as the Cubans, very light taste, almost boring. The only time I smoke these is when somebody gives them to me thinking that the name Cohiba means it is a top cigar, and I don't want to appear ungrateful.

3. Honduran Cohibas. Made in Honduras (obviously) by General Cigar. Easy to spot because they have a red dot in the "O" in the name on the band. Also the band is completely different from the other 2. Rich flavor. Much better than the Dominican, not as good as the Cubans, but far more consistent and without the risk of fakes. A bit more expensive than I care to spend, there are other things I would be more likely to get for the price.

To put it in bourbon terms, the Cubans is like Pappy 20, the hard to get standard that all others are measured by, but you aren't sure if you are getting S-W or BT juice. The Dominican would be more like Rebel Yell, a weak watered down replica and the Honduran would be Maker's Mark, a quality product that while not up to Pappy is good in its own right, if a bit overpriced for what it is.

But, cigars like bourbon has a high YMMV factor to it. So smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Very well stated!!

I started on a box of Fonseca 1907s, petit corona size . . . A nice and easy quick smoke. Not bad for a box of 50 for $65.

After two grueling weeks of 13-18 hr days at the course, I stopped by TobaccoWorld (what a selection!) and I picked up 3 stogies for the upcoming weekend: JdN Antaño Dark Corojo, Tatuaje Fausto Robusto, and Fuente Opus X Chateau de la Fuente. Come on, Friday!!!

After two grueling weeks of 13-18 hr days at the course, I stopped by TobaccoWorld (what a selection!) and I picked up 3 stogies for the upcoming weekend: JdN Antaño Dark Corojo, Tatuaje Fausto Robusto, and Fuente Opus X Chateau de la Fuente. Come on, Friday!!!

That young Opus will wake you up..... All good sticks.

That young Opus will wake you up..... All good sticks.

I was excited to see them. I have never seen them, but this shop was the best I have seen in my neck of the woods.

Montecristo Afrique with some WTRB has kept me happily entertained.

Room 101 Namakubi that was gifted by a friend. 42 x 4". Great little cigars. A real powerhouse!

Perdomo 10th anniversary champagne ( one of my favorites) on the deck tonight. It is a beautiful night in the commonwealth. Thought it worthy of pouring some closely hoarded Black Maple Hill 16.

Smoking and giving away a large number of Romeo and Julieta Reserva Real Cigars ... in celebration of my new Granddaughter, Clare! Chose this cigar because it appeals to the broadest spectrum of cigar smokers.

Pous X Power Ranger that was gifted to me ...... I still miss why folks go gaga over these....????

One of my favorite cigars continues to be an Illusione 88.

I smoked one tonight. Very nice cigar.

Joe :usflag:

CAO Cameroon on the deck before the misery rolls in tomorrow.

LOL..... it is going to be one hot weekend!!!

Camacho Coyolar Puro. Very nice, but it keeps dropping the ash on me. Could be operator error :grin:

Pous X Power Ranger that was gifted to me ...... I still miss why folks go gaga over these....????

Think of them as the Pappy 23 (though slightly easier to find) of the cigar world.

People go crazy over them, because they think they are supposed to... whether they like them or not.

(Please note, I am not saying Pappy 23 is bad, I am talking about people who go gaga over it simply because it is "Pappy" and they read somewhere that it is the best... not that they could tell the difference.)

La Finca Maduro (the old ones, not the new "blacks") paired up with a healthy pour (on the rocks) of Rare Breed.

I smoked a Perdomo Champagne Maduro last night. I've smoked about 3 in the last couple weeks plus a Perdomo Champagne natural. I prefer the natural wrapper though I am typically partial to maduros.

I smoked a Perdomo Champagne Maduro last night. I've smoked about 3 in the last couple weeks plus a Perdomo Champagne natural. I prefer the natural wrapper though I am typically partial to maduros.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Champagne line as they are in general too mild for me, so but the Champagne Noir with the bourbon barrel aged maduro makes for a nice change of pace... Though it is still a bit less rich than most maduro that I have had. This could factor into why you like the natural more... You may be expecting more from the maduro and it just isn't fully there taste wise.

First evening cool enough to sit outside in quite awhile. Enjoying my father's day gift cigar, Maker's 650.

Tried my first Bolivar Cofradio (I still have more Bolivar Fuertes from before the name change, and but decided to give the new ones a chance). This really reminded me why I love cigars that are packed in cedar cabinets over those in pretty boxes. It is every bit of the powerhouse I remember it being when Estelo Padron first made these for JR Cigars. Rich, and earthy, and powerful and plenty of cedar spice... It never got bitter and was delicious right down to the nub. Definitely not for the beginner, as it can overwhelm the palate. Pairs up well with a solid bourbon, such as the Knob Creek I am enjoying it with tonight.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!