What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We were starting to get a little long there in the other thread so it's time to start a new one.... Maybe not officially summer but close enough!

I'll kick it off with a bottle that could also be found very soon in the empty bottle support group thread and also the what did you purchase thread; Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit pewter top first issue - bottled August of 1996 to be exact. One more pour out of this wonderful bottle and it's gone, luckily I recently found a dusty replacement; although one of these is never enough so I'll be looking for more!

PVW20 and FRY (is that the right acronym for Four Roses Yellow Label? I'm too deep in my cups to worry about it).

I may pop out and pony up the funds for a bottle of 16yo Hirsch tomorrow, though the price is daunting. The dude that bunkered the case or so of it has a bunch of other interesting drams, maybe I'll stop in and clear his baby bourbon stock, just to confuse him.

Following Mr. Gillman's lead I enjoyed a few Sazerac's..... quite refreshing on a warm evening and the sweetness goes very well with a cigar. Could be a new favorite.....

Last night I had some Russell's Reserve 90 followed by some RR 101.

Both enjoyable.

Tonight it was WT 8yo 101, Fighting Cock, Saz Jr and 1792.

Scott

Good to hear the Saz's are going down well. By the way sugar is optional in these, some people like them dry (so just the whiskey, bitters and anise element). Some bourbon or rye tends to sweetness as do some of the typical anise drinks, so as always, adjust to personal taste.

Tim's notes about the Very Old Fitzgerald had the wry touch I associate with his writing, Tim is the wryest of the SB scribes, maybe. :) But that is darn good whiskey, as all who know privileged to have tried it. (Qualification: knock on Tim's door at Gazebo-time).

Last night I poured a shot of ND OT, the vatting I've mentioned earlier. The current (which will likely be the last) vatting has a bit of a woody edge, I think this resulted from the last addition, a 86 proofer, but anyway in for a penny in for a pound. In vatting you go all the way or not, and there is no returning, but you can keep going!

I added bitters and half a teaspoon brown sugar, then rocks, then a glug of Weller 107. The Weller cured the excess wood in the ND OT vat (not sure why since it is woody itself, but this is the alchemy of mixology and vatting...).

A nice drink emerged from this rattling around.

Gary

Last night was JBB on the rocks at a very interesting party. The JBB was perfect on a stormy, humid evening but it was painful to me knowing that I had a brand new bottle of WTAS sitting at home. I'll crack that open in due time.

I wanted to share that I got to taste a couple of pre-prohibition whiskies a few nights ago.

Old Oscar Pepper 1916 and a Rye Whisky made for the Pendennis Club 1905.

The OOP had lost most of its taste but the Rye was really good.

I was trying to attach a couple of pictures of the bottles but not sure I succeeded.

post-2781-14489814257282_thumb.jpg

Here's the other. I never know if people like to see stuff like this but I'm assuming as bourbon fans you do.

Cheers!

Jane

post-2781-14489814257514_thumb.jpg

Just got back from the Burbon Trail and will settle down with a Rare eagle neat:cool:

I'm not great at describing tastes. It wasn't as spicy as rye we know today. It wasn't moldy tasting either. It was creamier than sharp. Not dry. I assume it had lost some proof with age. It almost had a fig like taste but not really fruity. (does that make any sense?) The finish was medium. I always notice where I taste things on my tongue. This sat exactly on the center of my tongue. It was woody but not too much. Almost sappy tasting. Sorry I don't think I did a very good job explaining.

One thing I can tell you. It was the most unique thing I have ever tasted. I wish I had taken notes seeing as how I have already forgotten the taste profiles.

That is very help Jane, thank you.

The Compton Street wine and spirits vendors are still going strong, I hope.

Gary

Yes. I love window shopping there. I tend to not buy alcohol here because my money goes twice as far at home. I am actually back in Kentucky next week and already have my bourbon list made.

Understand, of course. Still, there are rarities one can find there. E.g., on the rafters I've seen e.g., in Vintage House some well aged (25 I think) Vintage Bourbon from KBD which was excellent. There is the odd other export-only bottling as well. But of course, it will be hard to best the Kentucky retailers.

Gary

P.S. I meant Old Compton Street, Soho, but I see you knew that!

I'll have to actually go in next time I'm in Soho (which is where I tend to work the most). Thanks for the tip.

Do you spend much time in London?

Well, I did travel there for many years (say from the 80's until about 2 years ago). We often went twice a year. I love the city, it is an amazing place, always changing, yet the same too in most (essential) ways.

In Soho there is also Milroy's, Greek Street, whose owner inspired Michael Jackson to write his first whisky book. It is different than the original Milroy's but still very interesting, and I like the plaid-lined whiskey bar in the basement.

Of all the quarters in the Capital, I like Soho the best. But I also like Mayfair, Belgravia, Chelsea, the East End, Harley Street, well it goes on (Marlybone area!).

I may get there in August for the big annual CAMRA beer festival, I've always wanted to attend that.

The last time I was there it was Xmas, it was partly for business. I walked around South Ken and ended up finally at Royal Albert Hall. The Bolshoi were doing a miscellany, something for the Season. I had never seen a ballet in my life (on earlier trips I had seen lots of rock and roll, more my style). I bought a good ticket and came back later to see the ballet and I really liked it. I liked the costumes, and the high jumps, mostly.

London is a great place and full of variety. If I go in August, I'll try to see a play in the Globe too, also, there is a show at New Tate that is a must, it doesn't end...

Gary

.... I never know if people like to see stuff like this but I'm assuming as bourbon fans you do.

Cheers!

Jane

I like the pictures, especially if something rare/different or new. Welcome to SB, Jane.

I'll have to actually go in next time I'm in Soho (which is where I tend to work the most). Thanks for the tip.

Do you spend much time in London?

Damn, I was just in London 2-weeks ago. If I would have known I would have had you join us for drinks.... next time...

Earlier today, I had a pour of WT101 Rye diluted down to around 60 proof to follow a tasting procedure I came across for Scotch (I thought that what works for "whisky" might work for "whiskey.") It was a very different experience than drinking it straight or on the rocks. Honestly, it was on the verge of whiskey-flavored water; though it was still enjoyable. Next time, I'll aim for the 80-90 proof range.

Later on, I plan to have a nip of my current vatting as a nightcap.

Wanted to continue my exploration of FR 120, but my guest wanted to go with PHC. Being the ever gracious and accomodating host, I humbly concurred.

Such are the sacrifices we make....

Just returned from an evening swim at the neighborhood pool with momma and daughter. A healthy pour of McScrooge's single barrel bottling of Buffalo Trace (Brent's Pick), is hitting the spot.

JOE

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!