What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Due to the recent thread on Knob Creek...poured some...neat - quick impressions:

nice nose

sharp taste right off the bat..but pleasant...a little astringent

(Wiki "Astringency is also the dry, puckering mouthfeel ..")

smoother finish than I remember

Not a bad pour at all....

one ice cube.....brings out a little sweetness

I think "sweet leather" is a good descriptor for Knob Creek

Weller Centennial (Julio's) and now some PVW 15. Man the Centennial is awesome but the PVW 15 just blew it away. My favorite bourbon. I even have it edging the PVW20 most of the time.

Weller Centennial (Julio's) and now some PVW 15. Man the Centennial is awesome but the PVW 15 just blew it away. My favorite bourbon. I even have it edging the PVW20 most of the time.

Definitely one to add to my stash....PVW 15 has a huge following on this board.

Dinner at Wildfire in Lincolnshire. Knob Creek with the chopped salad. Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc (not overly grapefruity/citrusy compared to some Sauvignon Blancs--almost said SB, but that would be confusing) with dinner (pepprcorn crusted filet; I know a color violation, but that's what the table wanted and I didn't want to go against the grain and get a glass of red).

Home now, having my second WT American Spirit; getting some spicy, charcoal notes.

Watching Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America Battle Corn; he made a bourbon (made from corn, he points out) sauce for a waffle dessert. It got my attention away from this response for a minute.

I'm introducing myself to the world of whiskey sours this evening after reading about them in another thread here. My first crack at making one consisted of 1/2 ounce FS lemon juice, 1/2 ounce (1:1) simple syrup and 1.5 oz of Weller Antique which I shook the $*&% out of and then poured over ice. Between a this and an Old Fashioned, I think I found my summer drinks.

MMMMM... Samples of ER and Saz... yummy.... The ER is just devine.... Thank you BM for shipping the samples :P

Having a nitecap of EC18. Nice and cool here, a little rain falling. Perfect pour to end the day.

Cheers!

Another Weller SR whiskey sour. I kind of enjoy starting my night off with a cheaper pour like this ($13 per btl.). Then I don't feel so bad hitting the expensive stuff later...kinda evens out icon11.gif (sure it does!)

Tonight a switch back from the 120th to another Four Roses favorite of mine, FRSB.

-Joe

Tonight a switch back from the 120th to another Four Roses favorite of mine, FRSB.

-Joe

Joe, Mark and will be seeing you at Reid's on the 5th.....looking forward to meeting you.

Spent the day with my Dad and respective family. We of course indulged in various libations.

Weller Centennial - Julio's 13 year

'79 JW Dant BIB

'82 Fitz Prime 90

'80 OGD 114

On my second pour of PVW15 - fantastic as usual. I need to get a barrel of this for my home icon10.gif

ETL last night. It seems to get better the more I drink it. Near the end of it now.

I've been enjoying a bottle of Sazerac rye. Manhattans are among my favorite cocktails, and Sazerac makes a great one. I had thought of buying a bottle for awhile now, but when I saw Sazerac listed in an SB recommndatin thread, I took the plunge.

It's been a while since I finished off my last bottle of ORVW 10/107 and I hadn't brought my bunkered bottle up to the bar until today. Just opened the bottle and took my first pour --- Man is this one good bourbon!

As I just reported to Gary in the VBT thread -- wheater flight:

1) Old Weller Antique (BT version)

2) Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B" (2004 bottling; S-W whiskey)

3) Makers Mark Select (black wax)

4) Old Weller Antique (UDV/S-W version in gold-veined bottle)

Tonight, they rank 4-2-1-3 (and 1 is surprisingly close to 2!)

As I just reported to Gary in the VBT thread -- wheater flight:

1) Old Weller Antique (BT version)

2) Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B" (2004 bottling; S-W whiskey)

3) Makers Mark Select (black wax)

4) Old Weller Antique (UDV/S-W version in gold-veined bottle)

Tonight, they rank 4-2-1-3 (and 1 is surprisingly close to 2!)

Deeper into the cabinet -- added:

5) Rebel Yell (1982 90 proof S-W; same bottle as (4) without the gold filigree)

Tasty but harsh. Now: 4-2-1-5-3.

Tonight I drank the last of my Black Maple Hill 14 Year. Weep. If you've got a line on any bottles let me know.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!