What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which ever one of us is wrong has to drink some VSOF and send a cheers to the other one. Deal?
You were correct, I got mixed up between VSOF and Weller Centennial. I was confused, and now I'm gettin' cornfused with a toast to your bourbon knowledge with some of this VSOF 12yo.

Cheers! :toast:

You were correct, I got mixed up between VSOF and Weller Centennial. I was confused, and now I'm gettin' cornfused with a toast to your bourbon knowledge with some of this VSOF 12yo.

Cheers! :toast:

Ahhh....I love it.....CORNFUSED! I might just have to borrow that, LMA.

In the tradition of a blind squirrel occasionally finding a nut, I grabbed the cheesy gold foil WT12 from the store up the street this morning.

The nice little owner lady asked "Are you a collector?"

I said that I wasn't, but my wife may give a different answer to that question.

Given the choices this morning at Meijer (not exactly a bourbon destination!), I couldn't resist the relative bargain that is Elijah Craig 12 y/o at $19 and change.

Today was a grand day, in that I picked up three bottles of 2007 George T. Stagg and two bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 15/107.

There is no better way to celebrate the Fourth of July than with a couple of drinks of fine bourbon whiskey!

It's too late to edit my other posts in this thread, so here's a pic of the weeks take from Myrtle Beach. Some of it has been purchased at the request of others, so it's not all mine (unfortunately).

IMG_1847.JPG

I trekked down to Peoria and picked up a bottle of Van Winkle "lot b". Also a bottle of Stranahan's.

I did a little dusty bottle hunting and came across a half gallon of WT "old Number 8" for a split second I got exited cause thought it was the old age stated "8 year". I left it on the shelf.

I did pick up a pint bottle of Old Taylor. Somewhat worn label but no tax strip. I was more concerned about paying the man and getting out of there. Seedy part of town and the "elevator music" playing in the store was rap.......... you get the picture. It wasn't till I got in the truck that I saw it was only 80 proof with the words "Frankfort, KY*Clermont, KY" clearly stated above the proof. :rolleyes:

Today I picked up another five bottles of the Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year Old 107 proof bourbon--I've now got seven bottles of this elixir in my bunker.

Yesterday I picked up some WTRR101, I'm liking this stuff more and more these days, and what a bargain!

Picked up a Weller Centennial and a WTKS pewter bottled on 10-17-94

Last week I managed to pick up a few things during my vacay to the Promised Land. Inspired by callmeox, here's a photo:

post-3804-14489814306328_thumb.jpg

The five wine bottles in back are from Talon and Jean Farris Wines.

The HR was $27.99, some sort of special deal with Liquor Barn. And yes, the wife does collect coffee mugs.

Nice pic Josh, that's a great deal on Hancock's Reserve. I keep wanting to buy one but when Binny's have it for $49.99 and I see people paying nearly half that it turns me away. Plus, there's always something better to buy!

Scott

Last week I managed to pick up a few things during my vacay to the Promised Land. Inspired by callmeox, here's a photo:

[ATTACH]6447[/ATTACH]

The five wine bottles in back are from Talon and Jean Farris Wines.

The HR was $27.99, some sort of special deal with Liquor Barn. And yes, the wife does collect coffee mugs.

Nice pic Josh, that's a great deal on Hancock's Reserve. I keep wanting to buy one but when Binny's have it for $49.99 and I see people paying nearly half that it turns me away. Plus, there's always something better to buy!

Scott

I could swear that I read that BT was whacking the price on the Hancock's, from the >$40 to +/- $28, some time ago. Maybe, a year or more ago. Maybe, this is the welcome reduction? If I find it for that, I'll buy it.

JOE

Pretty happy with what I got today! Never thought I'd see one of these other than, and honestly never new it existed before seeing, the one Dan (Schlep) opened at the Gazebo during the Sampler weekend. Anyway I believe this is the same Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B" that he opened which was the original issue bottled from something other than S-W, Boone I believe was the conversation while it was being sampled at the General Nelson.

post-1291-14489814306791_thumb.jpg

post-1291-14489814307189_thumb.jpg

HR is >$50/bottle in MI.

That's why I lept on the opportunity to buy it in KY. Even accounting for gas money it was a bargain. I almost bought a case of the stuff.

I could swear that I read that BT was whacking the price on the Hancock's, from the >$40 to +/- $28, some time ago. Maybe, a year or more ago. Maybe, this is the welcome reduction? If I find it for that, I'll buy it.

JOE

Let's hope so. I last saw it up here >$40. I never bought it b/c I figured at that price you might as well just buy the Blanton which is the same stuff (allegedly) but better (allegedly). Plus the label's ugly.

Pretty happy with what I got today! Never thought I'd see one of these other than, and honestly never new it existed before seeing, the one Dan (Schlep) opened at the Gazebo during the Sampler weekend. Anyway I believe this is the same Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B" that he opened which was the original issue bottled from something other than S-W, Boone I believe was the conversation while it was being sampled at the General Nelson.

Are you saying that the L-berg Lot B is from Boone? Mine sure does resemble SW.

I don't know about early lot-B, but Pappy 20 & 23 Lawrenceburg in the green glass bottles are purported to be Boone whiskey, which is rye based.

Joe :usflag:

Not a bourbon, but I picked up a bottle of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. Anxious to see how it measures up against some of my favorite wheaters.

Travelled through Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio and southern Michigan this past week... found quite a few bottles that I can't get here in New Jersey....

In Delware... Old Taylor, Virginia Gentleman (not the Fox, but rather the plain white and red label), Ezra Brooks 90, Bourbon Supreme

In Pennsylvania.... Mark Twain, Ancient Age 6 yr, Buffalo Trace

In Ohio.... Ezra Brooks 7 yr 101 proof, and -- best buy of the week: Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (wood top) for only $31 (costs about $49 here in NJ)

In Michigan... Old Charter 10 yr

I know most of those aren't world-class, but all were under $20 other than the WTKS. So far I've only had the Old Charter and the Buff Trace. Both are good but I rate the Buff a bit higher. OC isn't bad though, given the price.

Are you saying that the L-berg Lot B is from Boone? Mine sure does resemble SW.
I don't know about early lot-B, but Pappy 20 & 23 Lawrenceburg in the green glass bottles are purported to be Boone whiskey, which is rye based.

Joe :usflag:

Look at the label close Jeff, it isn't just L'burg it is actually slightly different graphically. The oval from the typical Lot "b" label isn't on there as well an all around slightly different appearance. I'll do a side by side photo later to make it more obvious. This first release in this label is not S-W from what I learned at the gazebo this past April, the L'burg label with the oval and other graphic changes was as far as I know. This bottle is green glass as well.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!