What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, I can now see that there are some differences. Yours appears to predate mine for sure. Neck ring and front label changed slightly with the addition of the website below distilling info. What is on the sides of your label....some sort of writing? How about the back label...one or two stickers?

How do these fit in with the lot A bottling? Where are the bottle dates?

picked up two Old Charter PR 13, one in the Tall bottle and an OGD 100 bonded.

Looking forward to the tall Charter....looks to be bottled about 10 years ago...so distilled mid 80's.

I've been good for a couple of weeks now. Couldn't take it any more. Stopped on the way home last night and ended up with a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114. I'll probably try it tonight. Joe

I was in Chicago last weekend visiting my sister, and hit up Binny's. Picked up a bottle of ETL ($7 cheaper there than here in MI), their hand-selected Buffalo Trace (about $6 cheaper than here in MI :hot:), and a bottle of Old Fitz 1849 with the "charcoal filtered" sticker over the old age statement. I'd really wanted the 8 year old version, but was pleasently surprised with how good the NAS 1849 was. Was also disappointed not to find an AAA of any stripe. I also picked up a bottle of the Kubler Absinthe while I was at Binny's, and in short order here, I'm going to whip out my bottle of baby Saz and some Peychaud's and make a genuine, honest-to-god Sazerac. :cool:

This last Friday night, I picked up a bottle of Old Charter 10yo, with the new label design. Also quite enjoyable.

On my way home from work today, I decided to drive by a restaurant that was about a mile from where I work in a direction opposite to where I live. The restaurant looked nice but immediately across the street was a liquor store that I had been in within the past year, but I thought what the hell take a look.

Well they had an average bourbon collection nothing special. While looking around a bit I noticed some older non-bourbon bottles so I started to pay close attention, suddenly into view was an Old Fitzgerald Bottle in Bond with a tax strip. Distilled in Spring of 1973 and bottled in the Fall of 1979. Long before I saw the DSP-KY-16 I knew I was going to purchase that bottle.

Now, for what occasions should I open this find, this nectar that was distilled during my last bachelor days and 3 years before fatherhood? To celebrate my daughter getting her PhD, or perhaps a job, marriage? Who knows! Whatever it is it will keep until then.

Will

On my way home from work today, I decided to drive by a restaurant that was about a mile from where I work in a direction opposite to where I live. The restaurant looked nice but immediately across the street was a liquor store that I had been in within the past year, but I thought what the hell take a look.

Well they had an average bourbon collection nothing special. While looking around a bit I noticed some older non-bourbon bottles so I started to pay close attention, suddenly into view was an Old Fitzgerald Bottle in Bond with a tax strip. Distilled in Spring of 1973 and bottled in the Fall of 1979. Long before I saw the DSP-KY-16 I knew I was going to purchase that bottle.

Now, for what occasions should I open this find, this nectar that was distilled during my last bachelor days and 3 years before fatherhood? To celebrate my daughter getting her PhD, or perhaps a job, marriage? Who knows! Whatever it is it will keep until then.

Will

Man Will you have been hit gold lately. Nice work glad to see you out hunting it up. Great find, I've never seen a O Fitz BIB in Michigan so Kudos on a great find.

Tony

First one I've seen. The bourbon slush fund has been busy. Fortunately not all the activity has been debits.

Will

I picked up a couple of the last ORVW 10/107s in the area. It's getting nearly impossible to find them.

Left a BTEC Cab Franc behind, though. $70? Thanks, but no.

Virginia Gentleman 90 and a EW BIB. Really impressed by the EW BIB for the $$. First time I have seen it at a VABC store.

Found a gem of a store today about 25 minutes from my house. I also searched around local ABC stores, but this place had a better selection AND lower prices.

Picked up a bottle of Pappy 15. There were 3 or 4 bottles of Lot B and 3 Pappy 20s on the shelf, but I let those be. For now.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed WT-03RB.

I have been drinking a bottle of this for a while now and I have grown very fond of it.

It's better than other Rare Breed's I have had.

I recently heard from a knowledgeble source, (ACDetroit) that a lot of people say this is one of the best Rare Breed release's.

So I stopped off today and grab another.

I just bought a 750 of Old Grand Dad 86-proof for $11. Nothing special, just for an everyday pour.

Tim

Thank you kind Sir (that'd be you Gary...oh and Oscar).

Today I had a late meeting North of Detroit and had been in this store many times before, always find something good but had cleaned him out I thought.

(3) Centennial's Frkft's (still on shelf)

(1) Slope Shoulder OCPR 13 yr (still on shelf)

(2) ER 101's ( the price was not great but I took them both)

The BHC stuff has been requested by another member so I will go back and grab them just not today.

The Eagle's are safe at home now! :cool:

Tony

Been on purchasing binge over the last few days. Started at a Rite-Aid in Louisville in the clearance cart.

AA BIB 1.75L $18.99 Clearance (all gone)

Weller SR 1.75L $22.99 on sale (plenty left)

Found some Frankfort Weller Centennial for $28.99 (got last 2)

Restocked on EC18 ($40.99), ETL ($24.99), and FRSB ($22.99) at the Liquor Barn on Fern Valley.

Also located some Four Roses 120 and posted the informtion below in barrel/proof/number thread:

picked up 3 bottles today. One was at the Liquor Barn on Fern Valley and had somehow been misplaced in the back so they moved it out to the case. I got the two others at a different place. There were 4 more available. If any members are interested, contact me privately and I'll

pass on the location. The bottle from the Liquor Barn was 7-1F-52.4% and numbered 302. The other two were 7-1M-55.5% and numbered 1188 and 1236. The other four were all 7-1M-55.5%, didn't see the numbers.

Joel

6 x Four Roses 120th (3 @ 56.4% & 3 @ 58%) will post bottle numbers when they turn up.

Also 2 x Russell's Reserve 90 and 2 x Russell's Reserve Rye.

My credit card is trying to run away!!

Scott

Not bourbon, but a bottle of McCarthys single malt, bottled yesterday according to the label. Delivered to OR liquor stores today (typically a six bottle allotment) and will likely all be gone by this time tomorrow.

Not bourbon, but a bottle of McCarthys single malt, bottled yesterday according to the label. Delivered to OR liquor stores today (typically a six bottle allotment) and will likely all be gone by this time tomorrow.

Oooh, what proof is it bottled at? The bottle I got at Binny's back in March is 85 proof, and there's a couple dusties on the shelves at B&B here in GR with the old 80 proof. It's a fantastic dram, I hope some of the new bottling makes it out of OR.

Oooh, what proof is it bottled at? The bottle I got at Binny's back in March is 85 proof, and there's a couple dusties on the shelves at B&B here in GR with the old 80 proof. It's a fantastic dram, I hope some of the new bottling makes it out of OR.

85 proof.

I thought this was the first time it had been bottled above 80, but I guess not.

It may also be that there was a release earlier in the year. The bottle I bought is marked "Batch No. W08-02"

My tasting notes are here.

I do believe yours is the first bottling that is batch-marked. None of the previous ones (including my 85 proofer) have any distinctive markings at all. Given the demand for the stuff, it's a really smart move on Steve's part, and can only help drive interest.

And your tasting notes closely mirror my own impressions of McCarthy's. Sweet and peaty, in a lovely balance.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!