What are you drinking this moment?

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wonder why good ol' Paul doesn't throw a tax on extramarital affairs? Oh yeah then he'd have to pay some.

Hello, Just cracked open a bottle of 13yr Vanwinkle Family Reserve Rye Whiskey.

This is one of my alltime favorite drinks. tongue.gif Today I was told by Julian Vanwinkle that National Distributing here in Florida is now handing the distribution of his whiskeys and that any store can now order his whiskeys in Florida. smile.gif That is reason for me to celebrate. A Tip Of The Hat To You Julian. Keep up the good work. Julian also informed me that he still has some of the 13yr Rye available from the same source. grin.gif Another reason to open the bottle I have here. I know I laugh.gif can now get more of this wonderfull Rye Whiskey. laugh.gif Creggor

Oooooh Jeff thats a HOT topic with me right now, I got an off topic editorial brewing about the shenanigans of the Ohio Guvnuh Taft and his wanting to raise the already ridiculous "sin tax" on alcohol and tobacco in this state. Its bad enough we are a freakin' control state, but they cant even cut us a price break!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . mad.gifmad.gif

TomC

Was Julian specific about how long the source would be providing FRR? In other words, are they continuing to distill and age? Or do they just have some more limited stock they have yet to bottle?

Hello, CL. No. Julian was not specific. All he told me was they were able to secure some additional 13yr Rye Whiskey from the same source. This will allow them to continue to offer this for the time being..Hope this helps. Creggor

That is excellent news, as the VW Rye is a favorite of mine. I bought 4 bottles of it, which I never do, since I thought there would be no more. Now I can drink it without worrying that I can't replace it! smirk.gifgrin.gif

Bob

Can I stretch this thread to indicate three whiskeys I'd LIKE to taste?

They are:

1) Either of the two house bourbons of the grand old Berghoff Restaurant, Chicago. Memory tells me the older one is aged about 15 years. I had it only once, good shot it was too after the fine beers of this house.

2) The Distiller's Editions of Jim Beam discussed around the time of the last bourbon festivals finished in Cognac and Port (two separate products I understand); and

3) a cask of (Highland Scottish) Glenmorangie which has been aging at Maker's Mark according to Waymack and Harris' book, this being an experiment of Bill Samuels to see if aging malt whisky in Kentucky would vary the result from what happens on its home turf. A New World effect already noticed is the proof is rising, in accordance with American practice, rather than falling as occurs in Scottish warehouses.

Can anyone shed light on the status of these items (in the case of Berghoff's bourbon, it being readily available at their bar and for takeaway, who makes it for them)?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

2) The Distiller's Editions of Jim Beam discussed around the time of the last bourbon festivals finished in Cognac and Port (two separate products I understand);

Because the so-called Masterpiece products are aged, at least for a while, in something other than new, charred white oak barrels, it seems to me that they aren't technically bourbons. They would also appear to fail as bourbons because they are flavored, either by adding the flavors of port or cognac remaining in the used wood barrels in which each is "finished." These Beam products are certainly unique whiskeys, but I don't think they are bourbons. For a couple hundred dollars, I'd rather add 5 bottles of premium bourbons to the bunker. If there is some loophole in the statutory definition of bourbon into which these flavored whiskies sneak in, I'd like to learn about it. Thanks.

Many thanks for the info, I did find after a tasting note (on an Australian site) which spoke of this whiskey in awesome terms. It said Booker Noe worked with a French cognac distiller of equal renown to produce this. The note said the whiskey goes over your tongue like "a dream". The prices seem very high, even for such a specialty. Too bad it wasn't bottled in half-sizes to make it more accessible.

Good points. I checked that site again where the cognac-finished version is reviewed. The picture of the decanter does not clearly show the label. The text accompanying (by the reviewer) calls the product Jim Beam's Distiller's Masterpiece Straight Kentucky Bourbon. So it must qualify somehow technically for the name, but in practical terms, it sounds like a stupendous product and (unless I am mistaken) a first in bourbon - using a cask from another product to lend a distinctive finish. The reverse is certainly true, i.e., a number of microbrewers have used bourbon or Tennessee casks to finish stout and other kinds of beer.

Cy: Since you seem intent on buying this flavored whiskey, you might like to know that if you get together with a couple of friends and buy a case (3) Masterpiece bottles from Spec's and pay cash, you'll pay $159.96 for each!

Here's the link: http://web.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/prodlist?index=Liquors|130|BOUTIQUE+BOURBON

The wording I believe is as follows:

"Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in Port wine casks"

I think they are claiming that it "was" bourbon that was taken a step farther. But then isn't jack Daniels? A little sneaky, but I am ok with it.

very Old Barton BIB. While at liquor barn last night I picked up a half pint of this stuff to give it a try. I didn't want to blow a whole $7 on a bottle grin.gif I have tried the 90 proof expression that, for the moment, I think I like a little better. This one has some of the same characteristics, but with a little too much "kick" that throws it slightly off balance. A nice enough drink that I bet would mix well. Next time I will pick up the 90 though. tongue.gif

And (just to get down from the stratospheric heights of cognac-finished bourbon!) I recommend the 86 proof version of Very Old Barton. It is very fine bourbon, the balance is great, and the price near unbeatable for such quality.

We had a Kentucky Bourbon Circle tasting here in Las Vegas and I asked Booker's son about Masterpiece being a bourbon. He told me that they checked with the state befor bottling it and were told it was still technically bourbon. He did not explain why (we had both had a few...)

Sipping Woodford Reserve neat.

Two months of serious head-to-head comparisons between Woodford Reserve and Old Forester 100 and my latest impressions of WR still remain very similar to my initial impressions. It seems very well balanced with a spicy sophistication. A good mix of floral and citrus elements.

I've changed my mind about OF 100 being more classy and complex. I think both it and WR are very close in those categories. But OF 100 seems to have an older, richer constituent that just doesn't shine through in WR. I can't quite place my finger on it but I find it to be more appealing than all the aspects that WR has to offer.

Again, I think WR is a most respectable bourbon. I can see why many choose it as one of their favorites. I may purchase more of it in the future. But OF 100 has a robust edge to it that you just can't beat.

-Troy

I'll have to try that next time I am in KY. I have a bottle of the BIB 100 proof that Jeff mentions and I have the same general impression that Jeff has.

I have mixed feelings about this bit of news. First, it's great that there apparently will be more of this outstanding whiskey available in the future. I think it's the best American whiskey on the market today. (NOTE: I have yet to try the Stagg.) I can only hope future bottlings will be as good as the last.

However, I am somewhat confused. I had read that Julian said all stocks of the 13yo rye had been bottled and that there would be no more. Based on those reports, I, too, bought all the remaining bottles I could find. Now, apparently, Julian says stocks from the same source ARE available and that more will be bottled. I do not believe Julian intentionally tried to deceive anyone. My guess is that those who wrote those reports of the 13yo rye's demise had misunderstood what Julian said. At least I hope so.

In any case, I have been invited to a Van Winkle tasting to be held in Pittsburgh in two weeks. Preston Van Winkle will reportedly be there. If I have the chance, I'll see what he has to say about all of this.

SpeedyJohn

Hello, All. Drinking Julain Vanwinkles 13yr Family Reserve Rye Whiskey. As I have previously stated it's one of my all time favorite Whiskeys. Bye the way if you like Rye Whiskeys might I suggest julians 12yr Old Tyme Rye along with the 2001 Bottling of 18yr Sazerac Rye. It's part of the Antique Collection from Buffalo Trace. I really like the 2000 bottling of the 18yr Sazerac but the 2001 bottling in my opinion is even better. All are wonderfull Whiskeys. Enjoy, Creggor.

Hey Creggor,

How does the 12 YO VW Rye compare with the 13 YO? I have a number of bottles of the 13 YO, which I love, but haven't had the pleasure/opportunity to try the 12 YO yet.

I have a bottle of the Saz that I bought awhile back along with a lot of other things, but haven't opened it yet. I'm not sure if it is a 2000 or 2001 bottling. I'll have to check on that. As soon as I get over a nasty cold, I'll have to compare it with VW 13 YO. smile.gif

Bob

Hello, Bob. It's been awhile since I last had Julians 12yr Rye last August to be exact. Now, Keep in mind I am going on memory. To date Iv'e opened and drank 3 bottles of the 12yr so far. It's bottled at 90 proof rather than the 95.6 proof of the 13yr. The 12 year accoriding to my sources tell me it's 13yr taken a little early and at the lower proof. I believe it has all the same flavors of the 13yr Rye just not as bold. I also believe that some of the 13yr Rye maybe older that it's stated years. I say this as it's has more of the bold flavors associated the Buffalo Traces 18yr Sazerac Rye. In any case do try Julians 12yr Rye Old Tyme Rye. I like all of Julians Whiskeys. When on vacation this summer I will get some of the 12yr Rye while going thru KY. Actually I asked my local Walgreens here in FL to special order me some of the 13yr Rye and the 15yr 107 Proof. If there are able to get me these I will see if they can get the 12yr Rye then I can so a side by side tasting. Creggor

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!