What are you drinking this moment?

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Christmas Eve was egg nog with rye, but tonite it's Kentucky Spirit. Enough of this and I'll arm-wrassle Good King Wenceslaus.

Season's greetings and best wishes, bourbonic amigos.

Kentucky Spirit, made even better as a gift from my wife for Christmas. This truly is the best consistently-available bourbon on the market! smile.gif

Wathen's, straight. I have discovered that I don't care much for this whiskey cut or on the rocks. It thins out far too quickly. But it is very tasty when served neat.

Tim

Tim,

In contrast to your situation, I'm drinking, but failing to enjoy, Old Grand Dad 114 neat.

Could this be my first exception to the higher-proof-is-better rule? Before I make such a drastic pronouncement, I guess I should try adding ice.

The funny thing is, I've made several comments lately about revisiting one whisk(e)y or another at my next opportunity. However, whenever I open the cabinet and reach for a bottle, I always forget those intentions; I never know what I'm going to grab. OGD 114 was the farthest thing from my mind tonight.

It'll probably be a little farther next time. It seems to have more heat than the BIB, but no more flavor. Could that be?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Not having had the opportunity to try the BIB, I couldn't say. But I myself thoroughly enjoy the 114 neat. So far, it is the only other bourbon to approach my favorite, Rare Breed. Both of these give a burst of flavor that blooms in the mouth (for me, anyway). This is apparently what I value the most, because everything else I have tried is only vying for third place. Maybe with the exception of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

Note that, being in Alabama, I do not get the opportunity to try many of the very special bottlings that others can find, e.g., George T. Stagg, Wild Turkey 12-yr, etc, etc.

Tim

Rat', It's high, but I know where you can get the Turkey12, if you just hit the lottery! crazy.gifgrin.gif Send me a message if your interested. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Dave,

I've had more than my share of OGD BIB and 114 and I'll stand with you on your observation that the 114 has more heat but no more flavor than the BIB. There's a subtle oily toastiness in the BIB (it has been described as a "browned piecrust" flavor) that is the essence of good rye spice, and I can't find it in the 114. I think Chuck Cowdery said a while ago that he found the BIB the best-balanced of all the OGD expressions. For me OGD BIB is close to the top as an everyday pour. Wouldn't you like to taste it at 10 years old?

Ralph Wilps

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

For me OGD BIB is close to the top as an everyday pour. Wouldn't you like to taste it at 10 years old?

Dave,

My guess is the VW13, since the barrel char notes in Russell's Reserve (and all WT bottlings, as far as I can tell) are stronger than the rye, whereas the reverse is true for the OGD. Maybe the deep charring of WT barrels as compared to Beam barrels is what I'm tasting. It would be interesting to know the char level of Julian's barrels, or if he has a mixture.

Ralph Wilps

On this 78 degree, sunny afternoon in SoCal I'm sipping Old Grand Dad BIB, neat, from my favorite serious drinking glass, courtesy of Gentleman Jack.

Last night as I watched the Fiesta Bowl game I drank three (or was it four? overtime, don't you know) glasses of OGD 114. It started tasting good about half-time. I poured my final glass just about the time Miami kicked the tying field goal with three seconds on the clock, sending the game into overtime. (The word overtime is odd in this context, since they don't even run the game clock during the so-called "overtime". But I digress.)

In contrast, the BIB bottling is pleasant and satisfying from the first sip, absent the kick in the palate (not totally due to the higher proof) of the 114. (I've tried diluting the 114 to approximately 100 proof, but that doesn't make it the equal of the BIB.)

I wish I knew the real story behind these two bourbons. IMO the 114 is not specially selected for its flavor qualities. In fact it might even be the opposite; barrels that haven't smoothed out adequately in four years (or whatever the aging period is for OGD BIB) may be set aside for the 114 bottling in the belief that the current interest in high-proof bottlings may be enough to move the product off the shelves. I certainly won't say that the 114 is a bad bourbon, but in the future I will not opt to pay more for a product that I enjoy less.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

On this 29 degree evening in KY frown.gif I am drinking AAA 10yo. This is as fine a bourbon as can be had for $11.99. I would like to try the 107 proof expression though, if only I could find it around here.

As Jeff has ponted out it is 29 degrees here in Lexington so, hopefully the Wild Turkey Rare Breed I'm sipping on will soon warm me up. It had been quite a while since I had had WTRB but last week I cashed in some Liquor Barn gift certificates and picked up a bottle. I'm afraid it's going to have a very short shelf life. But, whatever makes my Stagg last longer...

But, whatever makes my Stagg last longer...

Amen brother,

I simple love all that WT has to offer and if I am not drinking Stagg, WT is my substitute. Actually, now I am trying to make my WT12YO last longer wink.gif

Last night as I watched the Fiesta Bowl game I drank three (or was it four? overtime, don't you know) glasses of OGD 114.

Tonight it is Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof. This rye is very good, but it lacks some of the buttery vanilla and caramel that I associate with WT bourbons. I guess that's because it's a rye and not a bourbon wink.gif This is my first visit with this whiskey since I opened the bottle a month or so ago. Still like it, but I think I will continue to explore bourbons for the time being. BTW, does anyone know what the mashbill is for this one? Or any typical rye?

Jeff, the Regans in their book, Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys, they state that the mashbill for Wild Turkey Rye is 65% rye, 23 % corn, and 12% malt.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon! Yes I'm taking additional notes as the bottle will soon be empty. Might post a tasting sometime tonight.

Wathens Single Barrel. This one is quickly heading to the top of my favorite list. My favorite so far with a fine cigar grin.gif

Wild Turkey 101. The one that started it all cool.gif I am drinking this one to celebrate Wild Turkey's Pulling even with BT in the poll grin.gif

I back at home in NC, sipping Stagg, and sending out ESP vibes so that someone will vote for BT and break the tie. wink.gif

Your still on your "New Stagg High" grin.gif Your drinking Stagg at every opportunity, you're day-dreaming about Stagg at work. When you go to bed you count antlers instead of sheep. We've all been there. You just have to drink your way through it wink.gif

Tonite it was Wild Turkey 101 RYE. A mansized pour of WT Rye and half a bottle of Stewart's Ginger Beer. Your perfect spicy dessert.

Last night I was drinking WT 101 (good call Jeff) sending out ESP vibes hoping someone would sen ME a bottle of WT 12 year. . . . crazy.gifcrazy.gif .

LOL

TomC

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!