What are you drinking this moment?

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ezra Brooks, 90 proof, the basic offering. The 7 year/101 is worth the extra $6 difference in price over this one, but still...this ain't bad.

Dang right, the Stagg is coming. I called my sister tonite to ask on the delivery status, but no return call. I'll keep you posted.

M'Dawg, You better be glad I finished my Jefferson's Reserve BEFORE I read your post. frown.gif As wonderful as JR is, the rancid thoughts of EC12 surely would have spoiled my delight! grin.gif Tell me you didn't deliberately try to spoil my paradise.... Say it isn't so!!! grin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

After expanding my bourbon collection I have come back to one of my first...Woodford Reserve...still good, especially sipping small amounts with ice and letting the easy mouthful work its way from the tip of the tongue (sweetness) all the way back...very pleasant. Oh yeah, Murphydawg...I enjoy the EC12 too...when I want a more challenging mouthful.

VW 15 yo, 107. After trying so many different bourbons over the last few months, it's nice to get back to one of my all time favorites.

I'm drinking Jefferson's Reserve-neat...in our new snifters my girlfriend gave me/us (I have got her drinking bourbon neat now!) wink.gif They are top o'the line Waterford Crystal...They are brandy snifters, but work very nicely! I had asked for these for Christmas, but we had our 1 year dating anniversary yesterday confused.giftongue.gif and so I got treated early. grin.gif See ya, H'wood

Seems like you have been treated twice - once with the snifters, but again with a girl who appreciates bourbon and drinks it neat! I can only imagine what other gifts will come your way when you both drink together. blush.gif

But, this wondrous plan may one day backfire. Now your bourbon bill will be twice as big!

I revisited that one just last night. I liked it better than I remembered, specifically relative to the 10 year old, which I think I prefer. Now I'll just have to sample the 10 year old again, perhaps tonight.

I forget; do you have a preference between the two?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

CL, I believe a have a keeper! grin.gif This was a women a year ago that was drinking beer and daiquiris! confused.gif It wasn't long she progressed to bourbon with G'ale....bourbon with a splash of G'ale.....bourbon on the rocks...now its neat!! smirk.gifgrin.gif One of the nice things is she will often pick up a bottle of booze on the way home from work....good stuff too! smirk.gif It has been fun. I have been working with her to identify some of the tastes she is experiencing with different pours. Training the palate if you will. wink.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I've been drinking the 15 yo for a few years, but only recently tried the 10 yo last month. I've only had a couple pulls on the 10 yo. I haven't tasted the two side by side yet, but my impressions are that the 10 yo is a bit sweeter while the 15 yo is more complex. But, right now, I'd have to say I prefer the 15 yo.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Lots of caramel and chocolate notes tonight. I only have 1 spare bottle. I might have to check again with my source. Can't wait for next year grin.gif

I just love this thread. Every day it's relevent laugh.gif Tonight it's Old Forester 100. No matter how fancy my collection gets, I always seem to come back home smirk.gif

AA, 10 yo. The Buffalo Trace Distillery just has its act together, doesn't it?

Fortunately, so do several other distilleries. I don't mean to minimize them. This is just a great time for drinking bourbon. smile.gif

Here, Here! laugh.gif I may stand corrected, but I can't remember a time when there were so many interesting/great/intriguing/etc... whiskies out there! laugh.gif We have alot to be thankful for from various distilleries! Some the cost is fine, now if only the price could get right with others! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

After reading Jeff's note from yesterday about OFBB, I decided to switch to OFBB for my second drink tonight.

I got the OFBB in the mail yesterday. (Hollywood and I swapped bottles.) I was going to a hockey game last night, so I only sampled it before leaving. Frankly, I was underwhelmed. Maybe I had too high expectations.

But, I am tasting the OFBB now. It is very good, don't misunderstand me. But, I wouldn't call it a favorite, particularly for, what, $35?.

I may be beginning to form an opinion on these older bourbons. Many seem to have a certain flavor, that I can't describe, but I don't care for. It seems to overwhelm the other flavors. Maybe it's the wood that people talk about.

A couple years ago when I had a bottle of 20 yo Pappy, I liked the 15 yo better. And now that I have tasted 10 yo, I may prefer it given the price. (I still like the complexity of the 15 yo, but there's a hint of that flavor that I don't care for.)

I don't care for the 18 yo Elijiah Craig, though, it's been a while since I've tasted it (over a year).

The good part of this is that I may be preferring the younger and less expensive bourbons. However, that is a relative statement. It means 8 - 12 years and $20 - $30 a bottle. crazy.gif

Horrors! What will I think when I get Stag after Xmas! shocked.gif It's over 15 years old. This will be very interesting.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Frankly, I was underwhelmed

I had the same impression with my first sips of the Birthday Bourbon. Frankly I though it was a glorified 86 proof. However my next tasting the following day was a complete reversal. It has a nice vanilla and caramel taste that I associate with good bourbon, Wild Turkey in particular. I think that sometimes we get so worked up about a new bourbon that the expectations are unreasonable. Sometimes it just takes a little time to realize one's true potential. As for the Stagg, don't worry. There isn't the slightest hint of "over-aging". Just a little bit of heaven on earth. The nectar of the Gods, so to speak grin.gif (How's that for high expectations?)

Take it neat and slow and you can't go wrong. (I'm talking bourbon here)

It's one of my favorites, too. And it's not because I started it. tongue.gif I am pleasantly surprised at the discussions it has generated.

I think it's because it's a very casual thread. It lets you see what people drink every day and why they drink it. It gets away from the latest great bourbon acclaims and let's you see the individuality in everyone's tastes. You get a glimpse of each poster's personality and you get to know them a little better.

Plus, if you are posting to this thread, you are drinking and that helps the thoughts flow much more freely! grin.gif

I'll post my impressions after a few more tastings. cool.gif Probably h-t-h's with Bookers and Rare Breed, and different glassware combinations. tongue.gif In the meantime--It is awesome! laugh.gif

Some very fine Old Fitzgerald 100* bonded made in 71 and bottled in 77. Could be bottled as 23yr old Pappy van Winkle imho. hope to get another case of this for $12 a bottle. Merry Christmas to everyone and Life is Good--Den P.S - the old bourbon is the BEST!!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!