What are you drinking this moment?

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Its WT 101 12 year old. Nicholson's Cigar Bar had a bottle. I couldn't resist sampling while I was there last night. I found it a little sweeter and more rounded than I expected. Now, I have to start hunting. This is now a noticeable gap in my collection.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

13 year old - Old Charter Propriter's Reserve! And a Winston. I like 'em both. I should be in bed, but I'm not. I got off work this morning and sent some bourbon to a friend. Played bass for an hour and a half and then started in to drinkin'. Life is good. It's work that sucks! Damn Jeeps are expensive. Gotta work. Bourbon's expensive too. Gotta work. Cigars are outrageously freakin' expensive! Gotta work two jobs. Two women???? Don't even go there! So expensive you need five jobs - So exhausting you don't have the energy to work just one. "Is that a real poncho? I mean is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . No Fooolin'!" - Frank Zappa wink.gif

Hello, Started off havong a good 2oz dronk of 92 Evan Willaims Single Barrel. wink.gif Quite good stuff although not a comples as the 90 & 91 of which I like the 90 bottling best. Then after watching a DVD on my christams present to my self a new 36 inch flat screen HDTV I pourded a 2oz plus shot of Weller 12yr Old. Sure a lot of difference between these two. Still waiting for my first drink of Stagg. Have bottles waiting in KY for me. Dam July is a long ways off. mad.gif I hear it's worth waiting for. Creggor smile.gif

Old Bardstown 10 yo, at 101 pr, neat. Unmistakable Kulsveen barrel char and thoroughly pleasant.

Barrel_Proof

cool.gif

Antique Weller 7 year 107 proof. The Poor Man's Van Winkle.

Not Bad, Not Bad at All. . . . cool.gifcool.gif

TomC

Tom, we're on the same wavelength tonight.....Weller Antique 107 it is...the poor man's Van Winkle is good enough for me! (Actually it's every man's Van Winkle around here, because the real deal VW is extinct in these parts.) cool.gif

-Troy

I hate to disagree guys, but I don't think this bares even the slightest resemblence to VW. I have warmed somewhat to the Weller, but it still has hints of medicine and is very tanic to my palate. VW tastes like a wheated Kentucky Spirit to me smile.gif But thats the great thing about bourbon, everyone gets something different out of it smirk.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

but it still has hints of medicine and is very tanic to my palate.

I get a touch of dryness and more than a little heat in the finish, but overall it really is a smooth, slightly fruity bourbon like you were saying.

Hey Jeff, at least we can pretend it's VW 10 yr. old! grin.gif

-Troy

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

BAKER'S! In my new Reidel 'Bourbon Glass'. Very tasty stuff. I don't drink Baker's as often as I should. It's a special order item here in Virginia and way over priced, but I like it. I LIKE IT! I LIKE IT! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Baker's. cool.gif

Do you have to shop for your stuff at a local ABC store Linn? I know whenever I visit VA (more east of you though Norfolk out to Williamsburg) I always stop by a few ABC stores and they always have had Bakers. It was even on sale when I was down last... I did notice though that each store does seem to have a varrying inventory, not to mention woman who are usually less than informed on what they have on the shelves.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You're right Mark! Most Virginia women are rather plump and clueless. i can't help it, I just live here.

George T Stagg cool.gif All of the stagg talk as of late had me itching all day for another taste. Neat in my EWSB glass. Tobacco and fruit punch are what I am getting today.

Eagle Rare Single Barrel, 10 yo. Just trying to see if there is a family resemblance to GTS. Why? Because as Jeff mentioned, Stagg has got a hold on me and I can't let go. I only have one drink in my first bottle of Stagg. I want to save it because my other bottles of Stagg aren't here yet.

From memory, the aroma is similiar, particularly the citrus scent that many have mentioned that is characteristic of BT products. But, of course, the flavor is much less intense, almost thin, maybe even slightly medicinal. I can't detect any figs, either. wink.gif

I am not criticizing ER. I am just hankering for more Stagg. (Yes, I know, I sound like a damn broken record.)

I can sympathise with the coldness. It was a rather robust 4 degrees when I got home tonight. I broke out the RARE BREED to help warm my innards. . . . .MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. . . . . . Turkey grin.gif !

TomC

Virginia Gentleman, AKA the 'Fox'. I am having my first-ever sips of this one right now. Wonderfully fruity taste with a silky texture. Candy corn and caramel with a few cherry notes thrown in for good measure. The finish is medium, but is so smooth! The could very well be the best 90 proof bourbon I have tried. And the label is just so classy looking. Good stuff!

Evan Williams Millennium, Barrel 57.

And, I'm getting a 3D geography lesson at the same time. Seems there's just one big island in the Caribbean on this lovely blue decanter ... hmmh.

cool.gif

----------

Barrel_Proof

Hmmmmmmm...

Ya know that millennium globe decanter that you "OPENED"...It "was" a unique collerctor's item, if it was full of bourbon and the seal intact...Very little of what was bottled acutally got into folks hands...The decanter was defective...It leaked...We recalled quite a bit...We destroyed the defective decanters at Heaven Hill...

My oldest brother, Jerry, has been trying to find a perfect (no defects) decanter for quite a while...found one on e-bay...but the seal was broken...

Boone

Well, I just happen to have quite a little stash of these 3-D geography lessons, and the whiskey's still there, and the seals are still there, too. Darn if I don't have a valuable commodity on my hands now! And here I was offering to trade it to fellow bourbonians for rare finds of their own! Hey, if they're friendly, I still might!

post-207-14489811130167_thumb.jpg

At the bottling house when the filler damages a bottle such as the Henry McKenna jug...You can take the damaged bottle home with ya...

The jugs, Single Barrels, Distiller's Select, Vandermint, etc. are run "Out Back" in the WLD room. This is seperate from the main bottling house. There are 7 lines that run 2 shifts (in the main bottling house)...New employee's first job will be in the WLD room...That's where you start...We called it "Work Like Dogs" room...Most all of the work in the WLD room is done by hand...It's filled, corked, labeled, gift carton, coupons all done, one at at time, by hand...Not the best place to work...at least not for me...I was so glad to gain enough seniority to "bid", get a rated job and move on!

Back to the subject...When they bottled that globe in was made very, very, clear that a certain number of them were gonna be bottled and the mold was broken...Sometimes, when the filler operator does not have it positioned in the filler just right it will crack...The globe was destroyed right then as soon as it happened so no one could take it home shocked.gif...

Little did they know at the time...that a lot of em were defective and leaked anyway blush.gif ...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!