Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally finished my birthday bottle, Glenfarclas 30. Maybe my favorite sherried Speysider. It will be missed.

Finally finished my birthday bottle, Glenfarclas 30. Maybe my favorite sherried Speysider. It will be missed.

I know your position on "reserving" bottles, but there's a 'farclas 40 already in the closet. Here's to not dying for another decade!

Compass Box Eleuthera hitting the bin tonight - been riding the Compass Box locomotive these past few nights

Finished my first pair of Signatory Cask Strength Collection bottles. A 1996 Glenlivet that spent 6 days short of 15 years in a sherry butt, bottled at 57.1%. This one was the perfect Christmas time drink. It was distilled on Halloween day in 1996, so I opened it for Halloween this year which as good timing. Tasted of cinnamon and spice and warm pastries.

The other was a 1995 Laphroaig aged 16 years in a bourbon hogshead, bottled at 60%. God I love Laphroaig. Massive salty-sweet kick with more integrated fruit and slightly less peat than you get in the 10 year, no doubt from the extra aging. This only yielded 233 bottles, but there are plenty of "sister casks" out there (Cask #38-44 from what I've seen). May have to pick one up...

• 4 weeks later...

JW Green Label. Simply the best by far, of the Walker line. All 100% malt. Need to stock pile this stuff.

I preferred the Gold myself but not at today's prices.

Not at today's prices, and probably not the current version of the Gold label (reserve) either!

JW Green Label. Simply the best by far, of the Walker line. All 100% malt. Need to stock pile this stuff.

Ardmore Traditional Cask, finished the last pour while looking out at the two feet of snow piling up in my front yard. This was the end of about 1/4 bottle that was left for me by a guest at a party I threw a few weeks ago.

Peaty, smoky, a little sweet fruit and vanilla. I need to head out and buy a nice replacement single-malt to fill the space it had in the cabinet bar.

Ardmore Traditional Cask, finished the last pour while looking out at the two feet of snow piling up in my front yard. This was the end of about 1/4 bottle that was left for me by a guest at a party I threw a few weeks ago.

Peaty, smoky, a little sweet fruit and vanilla. I need to head out and buy a nice replacement single-malt to fill the space it had in the cabinet bar.

Lag 16. Great bottle! It may be a while before I can put the cash down for this again, but I will when I can.

Finished up the Laddie 10, and it will be missed. Since I don't have any more Bruichladdich I am reconsidering the 2006 Bere Barley edition I passed on earlier in the week. Anyone had that bottle? Passable one off or must have?

edit - Nevermind. Buy now, think later. Who doesn't want more whiskey?

Edited by compliance

Bere Barley 2006... Yes yes yes! I wish I had another bottle. It's tremendously different from the "sherry" or "peaty" standard scotch profiles. Really enjoyed and recommended.

Polishing off an L6 bottle of Lagavulin.

I'm going to get my hands on that Bere Barley. I can't resist something new and different.

Polishing off an L6 bottle of Lagavulin.

I'm going to get my hands on that Bere Barley. I can't resist something new and different.

Even though I don't drink a lot of scotch I am trying to broaden my horizons and the new and unusual always appeal to me. So I was considering trying to find that one. Would be curious to hear what you think of it if you find it!

Polished off The Speyside 12 this fine day, my first and only bottle of scotch. Enjoyed it more and more over the last few years since I opened it. I seem to recall drinking some scotch years ago that had too much peat for my taste, but this seems nearly free of it. Does anyone have a suggestion for another mellow, malty Scotch? Should I stick to the Speyside region? Glenfiddich? The Glenlivet? Trader Joe's Speyside 18yr?

Dohidied - You will get wide variety of answers to your question - but imo if you just want some nice, mellow, malty scotch, I enjoy Glengoyne 10 or Aberfeldy 12. They won't break the bank ($39ish) but are just nice, basic, tasty single malts. (No peat, no smoke, no sherry, etc.) And if you can find Tomatin 12 - it's also very nice and even less expensive ($29ish).

I always enjoy Johnnie Walker Black as well - a 12 yr old blend but a tad less expensive and more available than the other three...

Hard to go too far wrong with any of these.

Thanks for the suggestions, Wall Eye. I'll be on the lookout for those. Looks like my local BevMo has the Tomatin for $27. Nice!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.