Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A dreg party to make room for 2014 we finished the following bottles

High West 12

High West 21

Weller Antique single barrel the Party Source (this was unbelievably good)

Pappy van Winkle 20

Kirkland 7yo

and about 8 bottles of malt whisky dregs

Steffen

• 4 weeks later...

I put a bottle of Caol Ila 12 out of its misery. I never really connected with this dram neat, so it live out most of it's life in cocktails that call for a peated whiskey. I have to say that it makes this Black Diamond Flip quite tasty.

After a good 15 months, Redbreast 15 gave out its last last night. When I first opened it, I was disappointed - there just didn't seem to be much to it. So, it stayed in the shadows of my cabinets, coming out every now and then when I was bored with the usuals. Then one day, it hit me really well. Really, really well. For whatever reason, the clean, supple malt and rosy sherry notes came into focus for me in the best way, and I started loving on it. I am now a big fan and I think I prefer it to the PJL. I need to dig out a RB12 CS from the first release, because that one remains my favorite Irish, even though I grew to love the PJL I drank through more recently. I'm going to have to look to replace the 15, though, before prices are pushed further upwards.

Ardbeg Uigeadail. It wasn't bad, but the bottle I have (from 2013), tasted heavily of overly young spirit. I can see how this would be amazing if it were older, but this just wasn't. Probably would not buy again. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can find a dusty that has a much higher quantity of older spirit.

Killed a bottle of Benromach 10 this week. This was my second bottle - and I will be replacing it eventually because overall I enjoy it. It seems to have a unique smokiness without peat that I really like.

But this one gets my award for being the most "all over the road" with me. One week I love it, and the next week I wonder what I was thinking.... and then back to love.

First and last bottle of Lag 16. Finally killed it. Not my thing. Mild in every way, except in how much it would cost to replace.

• 4 weeks later...

Last of a Highland Park 18. A Port Charlotte PC7 might go down tonight too.

Goodbye Lag 12yr (2012). Hello Lag 12yr (2013).

My last Compass Box GKS NY Blend is getting dangerously low, too.

Said goodbye to a bottle of Laphroaig 18. Pretty good stuff. But for the money I'll stick with the standard 10yr.

My bottle of Compass Box Flaming Heart 2012 is singing the song of its people in whisky Valhalla.

Said goodbye to a bottle of Laphroaig 18. Pretty good stuff. But for the money I'll stick with the standard 10yr.
I agree Matt and it makes me miss the 15yr. all the more.:hot:

I agree Matt and it makes me miss the 15yr. all the more.:hot:
I never got to try the 15yr, but I absolutely love the 18 @$70-$80. Not so much @ the new and improved price of $130-$150.

The Irishman and Jameson 12 hit the bin. Next up (sadly) will be a dusty WT 8 year old. Good to the last drop!

I never got to try the 15yr, but I absolutely love the 18 @$70-$80. Not so much @ the new and improved price of $130-$150.

You should message me and I may be able to help you out.

A few bottles finished off lately destined for the recycle bin:

Corrido Anejo, Willett 24 Rye #446/47%, Balvenie TUN 3, Lagavulin 21 2007, Nikka Yoichi 10, Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2012

13099514644_0181ea28fb_z.jpg

XPost: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21506-Empty-Bottle-Support-Group-2014&p=407858&viewfull=1#post407858

Last night I killed off a bottle of Glendronach 18 and -- and! -- a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain. A bittersweet evening, to be sure. And I'm about a glass and a half shy from the end of a bottle of GTS 2012. Sniffle.

A few bottles finished off lately destined for the recycle bin:

Corrido Anejo, Willett 24 Rye #446/47%, Balvenie TUN 3, Lagavulin 21 2007, Nikka Yoichi 10, Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2012

13099514644_0181ea28fb_z.jpg

XPost: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21506-Empty-Bottle-Support-Group-2014&p=407858&viewfull=1#post407858

That's just lovely stuff right there. Only the best for you, my friend...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.