Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 4 months later...

Springbank 12 Year Cask Strength. First bottle of a Single Malt I have purchased in over a year. I had been sticking to bourbon/rye for price reasons. This purchased reminded me why I like Springbank so much..and at 108 proof and $80 it was a relative bargain in the Single Malt world. I am getting another soon. Oh and I know someone will kill me for this.but I was out of bourbon while grilling on a hot and humid Houston day (that could be anytime from April through October!) so I tried this with 2 cubes of ice. It was refreshing and delicious!

Finished the last of my RHF last night ... I'll miss that bottle on my bourbon bar.

Emptied a bottle of Dalmore 15.

What's with all the posts about bourbon in this thread? :rolleyes:

Was kinda wondering that myself. There is an empty bottle thread in the General Bourbon section after all!

I'll give you my stock answer when my wife calls me out and asks "why?" on a major wrong doing .... Because I'm stupid!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished off the last of the Ealanta last night. Really liked this one, although the Sonnalta PX was still my favorite.

• 1 month later...

Killed off a few last night. JW 18 - love this one, still have 3 bunkered now that they changed it to Platinum 18 and raised the price 20$. Also killed an Ardbeg 10 and a Bowmore 12.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Powers Johns Lane 12 yr.

Really nice. Paid $59 in March. Now it's $68, so I don't think I'll replace it.

Unless you have a Provenance kicking around ;)

Dunno... Might take a '72 single cask over those =]b

Edit: Who am I kidding?! I'm not kicking either of those out of bed for cheese & crackers!

I try to stick with stuff that's readily available when discussing "the best of".

Nothing wrong with that and it makes perfect sense. On the other hand, what's in the bunker doesn't get more readily available, so you can't blame someone for not jumping on the Corry wagon when they have a Provenance ready to sip.

I finally emptied out a bottle of Longrow 14 finished for 3 years in Burgundy wood. Man, I just could not get into this bottle. I kept waiting for it to come around, or me to come around, but in the end I needed room in the cabinet so I had to put it down. The nose showed what I would describe as toenail dirt: you know when you clean out your toenails with your fingernails and you get that toefunk-marinated dirt smell all over your finger? That was the most prominent note on the nose for me. The palate was less grating with a little winey chocolate showing up, but all the malt character had just been stomped on by the Burgundy barrel IMO. Some decent fruit on the finish, but all behind a thick wall of dirty laundry water.

It just.... didn't work for me at all.

I finally emptied out a bottle of Longrow 14 finished for 3 years in Burgundy wood. Man, I just could not get into this bottle. I kept waiting for it to come around, or me to come around, but in the end I needed room in the cabinet so I had to put it down. The nose showed what I would describe as toenail dirt: you know when you clean out your toenails with your fingernails and you get that toefunk-marinated dirt smell all over your finger? That was the most prominent note on the nose for me. The palate was less grating with a little winey chocolate showing up, but all the malt character had just been stomped on by the Burgundy barrel IMO. Some decent fruit on the finish, but all behind a thick wall of dirty laundry water.

It just.... didn't work for me at all.

That just sounds really really bad... "toefunk-marinated dirt" - yeeesch!

I like Springbank/Longrow and I appreciate their willingness to experiment - but some of these wine finished expressions are hit/miss.

Edited by ChainWhip

• 1 month later...

Aberfeldy 12 went dry this evening...been a very decent one...I'll likely replace it at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Late last night/early this morning, my first bottle of Balvenie Founders was laid to rest...glad I got a couple more in reserve.

A few empties from these past few weeks (bottles seem to go faster around the holidays):

11461183253_d351bb1d1c_z.jpg

WLW '05, Saz18 '12, Willett 24 Rye (#637, 110pf), K&L Chieftains Mortlach 22, Glendronach 15 PX Single Cask, Hirsch 22 Rye

(X-Post: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19216-Empty-Bottle-Support-Group-2013&p=387632&viewfull=1#post387632 )

A few empties from these past few weeks (bottles seem to go faster around the holidays):

WLW '05, Saz18 '12, Willett 24 Rye (#637, 110pf), K&L Chieftains Mortlach 22, Glendronach 15 PX Single Cask, Hirsch 22 Rye

(X-Post: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19216-Empty-Bottle-Support-Group-2013&p=387632&viewfull=1#post387632 )

Edited by MtnDew

First casualty of the holiday season: Knappogue Castle 12...not sure when & if it will be replaced...very good for an Irish but like most of them to me, too light. My wife really liked it so it may be just a matter of time before it reappears here...be on her purse though. :grin:

What would you charge me to move in to the spare room in your basement...assuming you have a spare room...and a basement, I guess.

What would you charge me to move in to the spare room in your basement...assuming you have a spare room...and a basement, I guess.

LOL - the bottles are actually in the basement ;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.