What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Elder or the Younger?
Elder. Although they had the Younger earlier this year and I had one then. It was almost unspeakably good.

Enjoying an Shiner Bock while working through business financials.

New Belgium's Fat Tire has finally made it to Jawjuh. So, I'm a sippin' on one right now. A kinda' cool sidenote is that the label has the following printed on the top of the label: "1st (Legal) Distribution Commemorative 'Georgia on My Ride'"

Do they do this on their bottles when they enter each new state? It's a nice touch.

The Elder or the Younger?

Does anyone have access to Pliny the Elder in bottles that would like to do a trade? I'll be happy to pony up whatever I can get in NJ that you can't get in your locality.

I need to try this beer!

New Belgium's Fat Tire has finally made it to Jawjuh. So, I'm a sippin' on one right now. A kinda' cool sidenote is that the label has the following printed on the top of the label: "1st (Legal) Distribution Commemorative 'Georgia on My Ride'"

Do they do this on their bottles when they enter each new state? It's a nice touch.

Joe! I'm so jealous! Fat Tire is my favorite beer. I will say that their breach of the Mississippi River is encouraging as they might find their way up to Maine sometime soon.

Does anyone have access to Pliny the Elder in bottles that would like to do a trade? I'll be happy to pony up whatever I can get in NJ that you can't get in your locality.

I need to try this beer!

Joe! I'm so jealous! Fat Tire is my favorite beer. I will say that their breach of the Mississippi River is encouraging as they might find their way up to Maine sometime soon.

I really like it too, Andy. They have it on tap at the hotel in Garden Grove, CA that I stay at, when I'm out there on business. You know what, though? I actually enjoy it more out of the bottle, as compared to draught. And, I've had several from each over the years. Go figure. It seems a little more crisp and flavorful from the bottle.

Well here's hoping that the march of FT doesn't go like Sherman's, and burn down Atlanta and head to the sea; but rather, heads north to Maine. :D

:toast:

I've started seeing Fat Tire in cans lately...cheaper than the bottles and easier to take with you camping.

Seems strange that we can get most of the Allagash line in California, but New Belgium hasn't made it to Maine yet.

Fat Tire was my first beer when I turned 21. Had it at the Shady Nook in Salmon Idaho following my second day of helicopter crewmember training.

I've started seeing Fat Tire in cans lately...cheaper than the bottles and easier to take with you camping.

Seems strange that we can get most of the Allagash line in California, but New Belgium hasn't made it to Maine yet.

Our wedding photographer, a very dear friend of ours from Colorado, surprised me with a 12 pack of Fat Tire cans at our wedding reception and it was most welcome! I agree about them being more portable . . . I'd like to see more quality beers in cans.

As far as Fat Tire in Maine goes, I can only hope. When I lived in CO, the only East Coast microbrew available there was Allagash White, which I thought was amazing because there are so many craft breweries in New England. I have always understood it that New Belgium didn't come East of the Mississippi River like Coors in the Smokey & The Bandit days (although, admittedly, this is probably mostly hearsay and conjecture). Joe has given me hope with their presence in GA -- hopefully it will make it's way up here.

Quite a few New Englanders have lived in CO and vice-versa . . . it's like "New England West" . . . lots of Fat Tire fans up here also . . . come on, New Belgium . . . make it happen!

twohearted.jpg
Reds_Rye_6Pack_Front.jpg

Man after my own heart. Have you tried the Huma-Lupa-Licious from Short's in Bellaire, MI? Very good stuff.

Well here's hoping that the march of FT doesn't go like Sherman's, and burn down Atlanta and head to the sea; but rather, heads north to Maine. :D

Thanks, Joe -- that's not a Yankee joke, is it?

:slappin:

Huma-Lupa-Licious from Short's in Bellaire, MI?

Nope, never heard of it. Michigan does do beer well, I'll give you guys that.

I'm going to SAVOR next weekend though I see they are not on the list.

We are going to make a pilgramage to Founders someday soon but it will have to be an overnighter since we plan on fully enjoying our stay.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html

Thanks, Joe -- that's not a Yankee joke, is it?

:slappin:

We're not bitter....really....you know, about that whole War of Northern Aggression thing :D

Hidden

Wow that looks great!

If you're ever in the Detroit area or going to or from Ontario, I'd love to buy you a drink (or four) at my favorite pub in Downtown Detroit, Foran's Grand Trunk. They specialize in MI brews and usually have a dozen or so on tap. They've just started serving beer-infused ice cream too, including one made with that Arcadia Coco-Loco Stout that is on the SAVOR menu.

Nope, never heard of it. Michigan does do beer well, I'll give you guys that.

I'm going to SAVOR next weekend though I see they are not on the list.

We are going to make a pilgramage to Founders someday soon but it will have to be an overnighter since we plan on fully enjoying our stay.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html

Wow that looks great!

If you're ever in the Detroit area or going to or from Ontario, I'd love to buy you a drink (or four) at my favorite pub in Downtown Detroit, Foran's Grand Trunk. They specialize in MI brews and usually have a dozen or so on tap. They've just started serving beer-infused ice cream too, including one made with that Arcadia Coco-Loco Stout that is on the SAVOR menu.

Thanks Josh.

We were thinking of coming up this weekend for the Electronica festival downtown but our dance card filled up fast.

Ditto if you come over here. I do need to make it to a game at Tiger Stadium one of these days.

This is our best beer place, about 3 miles from home.

Draft 20+ at all times: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/tap

Even more in bottles: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/bottle

Thanks Josh.

We were thinking of coming up this weekend for the Electronica festival downtown but our dance card filled up fast.

Ditto if you come over here. I do need to make it to a game at Tiger Stadium one of these days.

This is our best beer place, about 3 miles from home.

Draft 20+ at all times: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/tap

Even more in bottles: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/bottle

Josh,

Thanks for the tip on Foran's. I'll have to give them a try when I'm downtown. I usually go to The Traffic Jam, but I've been doing that for about 40 years. It's time for a change.

Will

Was pondering driving down to Left Hand to refill my growler when I decided just to see what was new in my favorite local liquor store around the corner (there are three of them around the corner but Hover Crossing is the best stocked) and was perusing the domestic microbrew section when I spied in the single bottle section Blind Pig from Russian River. While it ain't a Pliny I seem to remember liking it so I had my Memorial Day Hops in order. Then I wanted something light if it gets hot and started talking to one of the beer distributors that was stocking his shelves. He recommended Southampton as a new offering that was "picky about which stores in Colorado it was going to be distributed from". OK, I bit. Picked up a Double White as my lighter fare for the impending heat. Almost even grabbed another favorite from up north, as Moose Drewl is now available in cans here! My wallet won that fight.

Finally broke down and bought a bottle of Deus Brut des Flandres, I really wasn't impressed by it (especially at $28 a bottle (750ml)). I've had beer that was similar, Malheur Brut reserve, but this just isn't as good. It's got a sweet taste and smell that I definitely don't associate with Brut (I will admit, my experience with champagne and this style beer is quite limited so maybe my assumptions about this term are wrong...).

Now I'm working on a bottle of batch #3, the third batch of beer my friend and I made. This one was a huge disappointment especially considering the fact that both when we were brewing and bottling this stuff it really smelled like it would be our best so far! The theme on this one was hops and we definitely went too far as the finished product tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. We used Cascade (bittering), Summit (bittering), and Strisselspalt (finishing) hops with a pale malt for this one. Despite the sediment on the bottom of the bottles and the fact that they've sat for about 5 months they still look as cloudy as the day they were bottled. Hopefully batch #4, a recipe for Midas Touch we got from a brewing book, will be much better! After this I'm switching to the 2nd to last bottle of batch #2, a wheat malt with Warrior (bittering) and Strisselspalt (finishing) hops that's much better than the third. This one was surprising as well because it seems like the wheat malt canceled out a lot of the biterness I expected from the Warrior hops.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.