What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoyed some "normal" beer offerings while on vacation but I picked up a four pack of Belhaven Scottish Ale last night. Really smooth, delicuous beer. Of all places, I picked it up at the local Piggly Wiggly.

Last night it was Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock, while cleaning out my old apartment.

I have been mixing it up lately. I had 3 differnt German Dunkles. Spaten München Dunkel, Warsteiner Dunkel and the best of the bunch a bottle conditioned Zötler Korbinian Dunkel. Last night I hit the IPA's again Starting with a Dogfish 90 Minute IPA, Sweetwater IPA, and a shorty Meantime IPA. Tonight I start vacation so I might hit the bourbon GTS08 followed by whatever beer strikes my fancy.

I like Dunkels a lot. Where did you find the Zötler Korbinian Dunkel? Any idea what sort of places normally carry it or if it's available on the East Coast?

Brew dog punk IPA with the spicy chilli for dinner yesterday and Timmermans kriek with the rhubarb pie for dessert. Both were good combinations.

Big day today. The Swedish government store did release Bigfoot 2009 in some of their stores. Yvonne and me did go to the next city this morning and I bought 42 and she bought 12. Not bad concerning the hole Sweden only got 6000 bottles. I got one 2008 left so we will do a side by side some day soon.

Leif

Just returned from the Braves game, and savored our victory over the Dodger's, with a Bell's Kalamazoo Stout in a mug pulled from the freezer. Very yummy. Roasted coffee and dark chocolate hints abound. Velvety tan head when swirled towards the end. Another outstanding effort from this terrific brewery. I'm very glad that Bell's has made it to here, Down South.

Yvonne and me had a side by side of Bigfoot 2008 and 2009 tonight. Both were very good but a bit different. 2008 was more aromatic on the nose and much sweeter and bigger on the plate. The 2009 were dryer and more bitter in general. We agreed that 2008 was better on the nose and 2009 better in the finish and that 2009 was maybe the slightly better all over out of the 2.

Later we had a Belgium try for a double IPA with our chilli for dinner. “Chouffe Houblon dobbelen IPA tripelâ€. Enormous difference from the 2 Americans. Very light but a little sweet body and very pale collar. The hoops did go thru relatively nice due to the light body and it was drinkable but of an enormously lower class than the Americans of cause. Very peculiar why they in this case and so often do 9 % beer that taste like a 5 % one. I don’t understand the point of it.

Is malt shortage goods in Belgium?

Leif

yesterday while grillin' I had

1 Sierra Nevada Summerfest

1 Bells Oberon

1 SN Torpedo

1 Dogfish Head 60 min. IPA

have a 4-pk of St. Bernardus Abt 12 waiting in the wings. Picked this up Sat. in my home state - first purchase of high abv beer since "free the hops" law passed! Now I don't HAVE to sneak into Florida.

Currently nursing an unusual but delicious Saison from The Lost Abbey - "Red Barn Ale." Witbier, Saison, and Hefeweizen are my favorite style for Summer.

Other notable tastings:

Recently had Stone smoked porter w/vanilla bean from a fresh cask - which rivals the best chocolate stouts for dessert in a glass status.

Tried my first rye beer last week (Rum runner rye from San Francisco's Speakeasy Brewery) as well...

Big foot 2008 with outdoor grilled spicy pork, baked potato and green pepper butter and garlic butter. Excellent indeed!

Leif

So far tonight:

Three Floyds Gumballhead

Three Floyds Alpha King

Bell's Third Cost Old Ale - dark red, malty, big (10.5% abv) and "vintage" tasting. I think a bourbon barrel of this would be amazing.

I like Dunkels a lot. Where did you find the Zötler Korbinian Dunkel? Any idea what sort of places normally carry it or if it's available on the East Coast?

I found it at a small country Beer and Wine store that was advertised in a movie theater before the show. It is the only place I have ever come across it. I will be asking a more local store if they can get me some. If I get some more I'll send some your way.

Went digging in the back of the refrig and found a Hofbrau Munchen Oktoberfest. Forgot I had it and now I'm drinking it. :grin:

Kasey Kahne is in town here for the race on Sunday.

So you would think I am having a Budweiser.

But no.

WT 101 over cracked ice.

It didn't start off too terribly hot here today, but the clouds melted away and the sun has come out, sending the temps to 90. Started with a poorly executed 4 mile run, but just finished up with a crisp 20 mile bike ride. Rewarding my good cycling with a Fat Tire Ale. That little biscuity thing going on in it, is really nice. I can't think of another beer that has it. I continue to like this in the bottle better than on tap, though. I think the biscuity notes become a little funky if the beer on tap is a little old? Dunno. :confused:

Went to a local brewpub today called Copper Canyon and met up with my boy Will aka Special Reserve.

He had one of their seasonal offerings, their porter and I had a short glass of their summer wheat and then a short glass of the porter. Both good, the wheat was really unique.

Beer is good, beer with a friend, better. :D

I recently returned from a trip to upstate New York and visited the Cooperstown Brewing Company in Milford. I picked up a six pack of each of their offerings but have been particulary impressed with the Nine Man Ale. Goes nicely with Elmer T. Lee, I might add.

Went to a local brewpub today called Copper Canyon and met up with my boy Will aka Special Reserve.

He had one of their seasonal offerings, their porter and I had a short glass of their summer wheat and then a short glass of the porter. Both good, the wheat was really unique.

Beer is good, beer with a friend, better. :D

Where is the Copper Canyon - I haven't heard of this one?

I had a bottle of Dragons Milk from the MI New Holland brewery this weekend. Dark, malty, lightly-hopped. Highly recommended.

Craig

Where is the Copper Canyon - I haven't heard of this one?

I had a bottle of Dragons Milk from the MI New Holland brewery this weekend. Dark, malty, lightly-hopped. Highly recommended.

Craig

I'll have to check that out.

Copper Canyon is in Southfield, around 11 mile & Lahser/NWestern HWY

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.