What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rocky's Revenge...most of the bourbon contribution is on the nose....you can pick out the barrel notes....on the palate...less so...it comes across as a pretty good brown ale.

I bought a few summertime collections...both Goose Island and Sam Adams along with a Leinenkugle Summer Shandy (beer + lemon can be refreshing) and Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale (rather light in taste).

Diggin a Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale. yummy stuff. Also had a pair from New Glarus - Stone Soup and Uff-da Bock. the soup is their take on a Belgian Beer and has a sweetness to it. The Bock is the better of the two and is pretty much a daily pour around here.

I'm sipping on a Fuller's ESB. I had Fuller's on tap when I was in London last spring and it was awesome. The ESB, bottled for export, is pretty damn good as well. Smooth, flavorful, and a bit bitter.

Poker night last night. So after finishing my giant pour of Old Fitz BIB, I moved on, to beer. Budweiser American Ale. IMO, this is a prime example of how good a beer a giant like AB can make. If someone would have given me this in some obscure micro-labeled bottle, I would have been impressed. In that it comes from A-B, has me astounded. I'm not a beer connoisseur/snob, so I have no problem with plain ol Bud. I drink it all the time. But, I also know where they butter their bread. Providing quality beer for the masses. Of which, they are the best in the world. This American Ale is targeted at a narrower, more discriminating target. And, I think they've done an impressive job of offering a nice product for it.

The AA to me is way too malty. I can taste the "major" influence in it. I drink regular Bud all the time too but I'm trying to cut back. After watching the film "Beer Wars" it gets you thinking about where your dollars are going.

Last night I bought a single of the Flying Dog Wit, Woody Creek White. Not bad. Goes very good after a couple pours to change the pace up a bit. Isnt overly spiced either.

woody_specifics.jpg

beer-woody-bottle.jpg

Picked up some Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier this afternoon, and am enjoying my second one, now. Gosh, I love this beer. This is the oldest brewery in the world, they claim. Since.....1040. :lol: 10...40. TEN-Forty. That's T.E.N. Say it....TEN-FORTY. One thousand forty. Like, almost, a THOUSAND years ago...I'm gonna have to ruminate on this one later, in Joey World, with an Ancient Ancient Age 10 year...

1040.... :lol:

One.....thousand......forty......:lol::lol:

I go back and forth between the Weinstephaner and the Franziskaner.

There is a kind that only comes in 16oz flip top singles they sell here that is very good also (German).

Now get yourself some veal sausage and a pretzel and you can have Bavarian breakfast tmrw!

Weihenstephaner and Schneider Weisse are my two hefeweizen mainstays. The latter would be in strong contention for my desert island beer (but Saison Dupont would win out).

Today I had a Pabst post-yard work. Get past the hipster irony, and it's a very good version of macro-swill. Actual hop character, well-balanced, and quite quenching.

Now I'm having a Bridgeport IPA (another must-have for me). I'll probably move on to bourbons next, but I may indeed take a run at a Westmalle Tripel instead.

Regards,

Tim

It was cheese grits and green fried tomatoes along with a bacon wrapped trout, instead of that great sounding veal sausage and pretzel. Even brought some home for breakfast. :D Oh, chewy, salty German pretzels. :yum: Extra mustard for me, please!

I love the clove hit in the Weihenstephaner. Robert and Tim, how do the Franziskaner and Schneider compare, using the Wei as a base-line? I'm really liking these hefs in the Summer. It's a new thing for me, since last Summer. Always looking for new recs.

Joe, Schneider is more amber in color, with a similar palate to the Weihenstephaner, except a bit more rich. Unlike, say, Paulaner, which is a pure banana beer for me, to the point that I dislike it, Weihen. and Schneider are in balance, tilting a bit toward the phenol (clove) and away from the ester (banana). There's an orange haze to Schneider Weisse, which must come from a decoction mash or a big hit of Vienna malt, making it a bit toasty and rich, yet still fully quenching. I thought I hated hefeweizen until I tasted Schneider Weisse. Now I know better.

Regards,

Tim

It was cheese grits and green fried tomatoes along with a bacon wrapped trout, instead of that great sounding veal sausage and pretzel. Even brought some home for breakfast. :D Oh, chewy, salty German pretzels. :yum: Extra mustard for me, please!

I love the clove hit in the Weihenstephaner. Robert and Tim, how do the Franziskaner and Schneider compare, using the Wei as a base-line? I'm really liking these hefs in the Summer. It's a new thing for me, since last Summer. Always looking for new recs.

Hey, it's 5 o'clock some...wait...it's 5 o'clock here! Well, I'll not waste any more time getting started on a SweetWater Brewing's seasonal, "Road Trip".

I got to welcome new California Brew to Wisconsin. Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Sysle Ale. It weighs in at 8.0 ABV and came in 1 pint 6oz Bottle. It was very tasty an really blossomed as it got warmer. It has a malty sweetness to it and a nice touch of hops. It paired really well with a 5year sharp cheddar cheese. What can I say I am after all from Wisconsin. And it went eqaully well with a dinner of chicken tenderlions, garlic cloves, beets, spinich and apple sauce out on the deck. A Very nice beer that will find its way in my frig.

My wife and I were hosting one other couple, I figured 3 choices of beer would more than suffice. One of my stand-bys, Warsteiner, was already in the fridge. German, technically a pilsner, but in my mind, just barely. Its a great entry level pilsner, not too intense with flavors associated with pilsners, and it tastes just as good fridge-cold where as a true pilsner is supposed to be served about half way between room temperature and fridge-chilled.

I picked up my wife's current favorite, Amstel Light, a great summer beer. Its a very balanced, middle-the-road type of flavor; sort of what most people think of when they think generically of "BEER". However, its not at all lite, despite the name. For several months I just thought the term "Light" in the name referred to the color, as Amstel has some sort of amber beer. Expressing this to my wife one day, she corrected me and insisted that Amstel Light actually is a true light beer. You'd never guess that in a blind taste test.

The flavor is full bodied, but its balanced style is a real crowd pleaser and pairs well with just about any food. Its very crisp so is especially good with smoky and greasy foods; think barbecue.

Either of the above mentioned beer would be fine with the meal, which was pork filet mignon (btw, done on the stove, not bbq), mashed potatoes with gravy.

For the third choice I wanted another middle-of-the road, simple, crowd pleaser, like the Amstel Light, but less intense; a simple, basic American beer. In case someone finds imports a bit much. But I simply cannot bring myself to allow Miller/Bud etc onto my property.

I've found that lately, New Glarus Spotted Cow is very popular, almost everyone I've met likes it on some level. I don't have a problem with it.

Until I checked the price, and found that it costs more to import this beer from Monroe WI to Madison WI, a trip of 45 miles, than it does to buy either of the first two beers that are imported from Germany and Netherlands respectively.

I hope HipFlask doesn't take offense but I just couldn't do it. Its been a while since I've had one of Wisconsin's local budget beers. I've liked most of them on some level at some point in my life. After considering Point, Pabst, Blatz and a few others I finally settled on Leinenkugel's... their basic brew. It was a decent enough choice.

Just so no one thinks I'm exclusively into the inoffensive crowd pleasers... the second two beers are great choices when you're not sure what people will like. The Warsteiner I just picked up on a whim, I like it.

My first choice of all beers would be an authentic German pilsner; creamy, bitter, cool but not cold with a tall lingering head. Something in the style of Pilsner Urquel.

HipFlask, I'm curious to hear what you thought about your Bitburger. Its been many years since I've had one. I went through a "Bitburger" phase many years ago.

I did have Brooklyn black chocolate stout together with a sticky chocolate cake yesterday for dessert for the second day in a row. The combination really improves both the beer and the cake.

Leif

Yesterday I had Liberty ale, Brooklyn black chocolate stout, punk IPA and Paradox smoke head. The last 2 from the excellent Scottish microbrewery brew dog. Paradox is an imperial stout (10 %) that has been matured in an Islay cask and it is very smoky and real good. Microbreweries are popping up all over the world, as it seems.

Leif

Yesterday I had Liberty ale, Brooklyn black chocolate stout, punk IPA and Paradox smoke head. The last 2 from the excellent Scottish microbrewery brew dog. Paradox is an imperial stout (10 %) that has been matured in an Islay cask and it is very smoky and real good. Microbreweries are popping up all over the world, as it seems.

Leif

What, no dessert this time Leif? :D That Paradox sounds interesting.

Anchor's Summer beer for me, last night. An odd little gem.

Tonight I am drinking Appalachian Brewings Water Gap wheat it is a really Nice wheat beer and very smooth to drink. I am drinking it with some Jack Daniels Black Label!

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

What, no dessert this time Leif? :D

We did have the last out of the chocolate cake with the chocolate stout Joe. Do you think I am on a diet or something?

Leif

Went to a 'wood aged' beer tasting last Friday, this was the lineup:

1) Alesmith BA Decadence 2007 (courtesy of James)

2) Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad

3) Bruery 100% Rye Whiskey Papier

4) Bullfrog Oak Aged El Rojo Diablo (sour belgian imperial red in cabernet sauvignon barrels)

5) Bullfrog Magic Beans (sour dark saison with belgian chocolate and vanilla beans)

6) Cascade (I have Cuvee du Jongleur, Apricot Lambic, The Vine, and Sang Royale...we'll pick one or two based on what shows up at Sourfest)

7) Cigar City 110k+OT Batch 2 (Indian Russian Imperial Stout aged on toasted spanish cedar)

8) Flossmoor Station Wooden Hell

9) Great Divide 15th Anniversary Wood Aged DIPA

10) Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout (courtesy of Chris "Cloudskipper")

11) Hair of the Dog Fred from the Wood 2008

12) Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Boris the Crusher (courtesy of Chris "Cloudskipper")

13) Jolly Pumpkin Bier de Mars Grand Reserve

14) Marin Heaven Hill Barrel Dipsea

15) Marin Old Fitzgerald Barrel Dipsea

16) New Holland Oak Aged Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine

17) Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly DIPA

18) Three Floyds/Dogfish Head Popskull (imperial brown with palo santo wood)

The best beer of the night for me was Marin Heaven Hill Dipsea. That was utterly fantastic, must have had a lot of bourbon or just a cherry barrel because it was just awesome. Not a fan of the sours overall though.

We did have the last out of the chocolate cake with the chocolate stout Joe. Do you think I am on a diet or something?

Leif

:D Glad to hear your not on a diet. Your dessert posts are almost as good sounding as the whiskies and beer you're drinking. BTW, Happy Birthday! What kind of birthday cake will it be?

:toast:

Believe it or not but today I had my first Red Stripe.

I have always avoided this beer because as you know it is brewrd in Jamaica.

With their hot humid weather I always assumed that the beer would be light to suit the locals who live in that climate.

I was right, it is light but it does have an underlying malt and hops flavor that makes it better than almost all the big domestic national brands.

:D Glad to hear your not on a diet. Your dessert posts are almost as good sounding as the whiskies and beer you're drinking. BTW, Happy Birthday! What kind of birthday cake will it be?

:toast:

I did go to my beer club pub in a neighbour very small city today. Normally it is

closed in the summer, but today it was open not only to members but to the general public.

I had some real good micro beer from Swedish and Danish breweries, including fullmaktsporter 2007 and kaggens fullmaktsporter 2007 from Närkes kulturbryggeri.

I look forward for the micro beer festival at the same place in October!

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.