Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 17yr

BengalMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi, I'm a fairly new bourbon drinker, coming from the world of scotch. While lurking here for a few months, I just finished my first bottle of JRPS 17 tonight. It was a batch 7. I compared the last couple ounces to a freshly opened batch 9 and a Pappy's 20 (2010 vintage). My order of preference was batch 7, batch 9 and Pappy 20. While all three had similarities, in terms of small differences, I thought the batch 9 was a little mustier than the batch 7, and didn't have the same clarity, particularly in vanilla, wood and sweetness. I thought the Pappy 20 overall was less forward/complex than either batch 7 or 9, and despite the age, seemed less aged and had a shorter and less substantial finish. In terms of Pappy 15 (2010 vintage), I thought it was not in the running. For reference, I prefer woodier, more aged expressions, and am not a big fan of MM or KC, or for that matter, Lot B (2010 vintage?).

Hey politely, welcome aboard.

Thank you for the welcome! And thanks to you all for all the information and opinions, they have been extremely helpful as I try to learn about bourbon.

Also, I realized that my prior post referenced "vintage", and actually, I really should probably have used "purchased" instead, to avoid confusing anyone.

I wouldn't say the reviews here have been bad, more like mixed. Some found it great, some found it good but not worth the money, and some didn't like it at all. My opinion is that while very good it's not great, worthwhile if you haven't tasted a lot of S-W already and the cost isn't prohibitive, but okay to pass up if your S-W tooth is mostly sated or the price is a bit too dear.

How was batch 6? I've rn across a stash of it on sale for about $75 plus tax. I've had only one taste of this--no ideat which batch but it was pretty good IMHO--but I had shied away bases on the price (usually around $90).

I have a batch 6 but I haven't opened it yet. I have only had batches 1 and 2. I liked 1 better than 2, but 2 was still pretty good.

Guest wripvanwrinkle

I have batch 9. I originally purchased this bottle because it was the closest thing locallly that carried a Stitzel Weller provenance. Many nights I have spent trying to tease the Stitzel Weller-iness out of its depths - laughing at myself wondering if I was really tasting the work of Buffalo Trace. (Well and also laughing at the idiocy of the task.)

I have really enjoyed this Bourbon. As I approach the bottle's bottom I am contemplating buying another.

It is funny. I am now hoping that it is Buffalo Trace distillate. I would love to see a less expensive 15 year version of this whisky.

For what it is worth, I find the PVW 15 more woody then the Jeff 17. Also, I find the "ripe fruit" component to be more similiar to the PVW 15/20 than to Lot B. With the Lot B I get a Plum/Port wine vibe...while with the others it is much more subtle. I have read "pears" and wouldn't exactly disagree with that description. When tasting it, I picture this kind of chewing gum that I used to get in my stocking at Christmas (I think that it was called Fruit Stripe...though a more obscure reference I doubt may be produced.)

I wouldn't say the reviews here have been bad, more like mixed. Some found it great, some found it good but not worth the money, and some didn't like it at all. My opinion is that while very good it's not great, worthwhile if you haven't tasted a lot of S-W already and the cost isn't prohibitive, but okay to pass up if your S-W tooth is mostly sated or the price is a bit too dear.

I think Chuck nails it here. This is a solid, well-aged, wheated bourbon. No more, no less. I got mine for around $70 out the door and I'm glad I have a couple for the future, but it's not a bourbon I see myself craving down the road. That said, doing a side-by-side of batches, the #7 was a clear winner for me and the Julio's 18yr SB was also excellent.

Available at SV (again) this time it's batch #1. Picked 3 more up myself. Will have to do a comparison to the batch #7 I have open.

Available at SV (again) this time it's batch #1. Picked 3 more up myself. Will have to do a comparison to the batch #7 I have open.

More of batch 1?? :skep: The last shipments have been either batch 8 or 9. Do you have the bottles in hand? Just curious.

More of batch 1?? :skep: The last shipments have been either batch 8 or 9. Do you have the bottles in hand? Just curious.

yes, three of them. Last purchase from them when they had it in stock was batch numero 7. I was expected more of that batch, as it was great. But glad I had some batch #1 to compare and try.

I just got a call from the spirits manager who said that they are not shipping batch 1.

I just got a call from the spirits manager who said that they are not shipping batch 1.

odd, i just hot 3 bottles from them, all batch #1.

John Hansell has a review of the JRPS 18-year-old, batch # 27.

He gives it a 93, saying "My favorite is still the first batch [which

he gave a 96], but this whiskey holds up nicely and shows a similar

flavor profile with a bit more wood influence...".

• 3 months later...

Any more batch comparison notes out there? Just ordered a bottle of batch #5.

I heard Batch #5 is really Batch #6 and the real Batch #5 was discovered to have been aged in Old Overholt barrels.

Discuss.

I heard Batch #5 is really Batch #6 and the real Batch #5 was discovered to have been aged in Old Overholt barrels.

Discuss.

Chuck, I'm confused. If Batch #5 is really Batch #6, what is Batch #6? Is it Batch #5 AND Batch #6? If the real Batch #5 was aged in Old Overholt barrels, what did they do with the real Batch #5? Was it released? If so, what was its Batch designation? Maybe I'm the only one that is confused. But then again, maybe I'm not confused. I had a healthy dose of OC 10 yo Louisville. Spicey with a wonderful nose. Finish is too short though.

The post above is awesome if you read it quickly without pausing for a mental breath. I hope it was meant that way.

Discuss.

Chuck, I'm confused. If Batch #5 is really Batch #6, what is Batch #6? Is it Batch #5 AND Batch #6? If the real Batch #5 was aged in Old Overholt barrels, what did they do with the real Batch #5? Was it released? If so, what was its Batch designation? Maybe I'm the only one that is confused. But then again, maybe I'm not confused. I had a healthy dose of OC 10 yo Louisville. Spicey with a wonderful nose. Finish is too short though.

Another dram (or two) should provide clarity.

I forget so forgive me.

Which batch is S-W?

And which batch is Bernheim?

I've tried batches 4, 5 and 7 were all good IMHO. Although there are some slight flavor variations, they all seem to be from the same source. My tastebuds say it comes from the same place as the current PVW 15 (Julian says that is SW). I gave up trying to figure out where it came from or even follow the speculation threads about a year ago. It's good (albeit overpriced) whiskey.

Maybe I need another pour of JRPS 17 and PVW 15. Damn, might have to throw a PHC 2010 in there too since it might just be the best of the lot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.