Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 17yr

BengalMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't care if it is from Stitzel Weller or Bernheim. I think that it is quite good and worth what I paid for it.

I don't care if it is from Stitzel Weller or Bernheim. I think that it is quite good and worth what I paid for it.

• 1 month later...

Shoppers Vineyard is selling it today for 64.99. A great price. Hurry, only 15, I mean 14 cases left.

Joe :usflag:

Shoppers Vineyard is selling it today for 64.99. A great price. Hurry, only 15, I mean 14 cases left.

Make that 13.5 cases left!

Seth at SV has a youtube video where he talks about

the sale and compares the JRPS 17 to Hirsch 16 year.

Yeah, except who ever had to put Hirsch 16 on sale?

Don't kid yourself Chuck, they could have sold every bottle for a hundred bucks. It's great for us when they do offer this stuff on the cheap.

Don't kid yourself Chuck, they could have sold every bottle for a hundred bucks. It's great for us when they do offer this stuff on the cheap.

Actually, the Hirsch would have been more profitable for all concerned if it had been handled in such a way that someone could reasonably buy a bunch, knock something off the price, and sell it all fast. In retail, fast turnover is worth its weight. That ability to blow out a high-ticket item is worth giving up some margin. So is being perceived as a place that always has great prices, even on the top end stuff. I shouldn't have been flip. It's good business, good for everybody.

Hey Chuck.......Hirsch 16 on sale?

About 6 years ago Binny's put Hirsch 16 on sale in their annual sale flyer (which is mostly wine). This was right about the time the 16 was released with the gold foil top. $39.99 a bottle. I know someone on SB posted about the sale. I grabbed a few plus some of their wines.

Randy

Did Priess ever release their "Collector's Bottling" with the 16 yr in the decanter? I remember something about this last year. They were pricing it at $1700/bottle:slappin:

Actually, the Hirsch would have been more profitable for all concerned if it had been handled in such a way that someone could reasonably buy a bunch, knock something off the price, and sell it all fast. In retail, fast turnover is worth its weight. That ability to blow out a high-ticket item is worth giving up some margin. So is being perceived as a place that always has great prices, even on the top end stuff. I shouldn't have been flip. It's good business, good for everybody.

Chuck, I sense the Jeff 17 was not moving at all at the $89 price at SV so something had to be done to move the stock..... your initial thoughts were on target IMO.

There is a lot of Jeff 17 sitting on shelves locally in the $84 range and getting a nice layer of dust on them. IMO the current Pappy 15 blows the Jeff 17 out of the water.... JMHO.

Chuck, I sense the Jeff 17 was not moving at all at the $89 price

..... your initial thoughts were on target IMO.

There is a lot of Jeff 17 sitting on shelves locally in the $84

I was in KY last week and everyone had some.

I saw it at $79.00 at one place, it looks like everyone is trying to unload it.

I had a taste of the barrel proof and the bottled stuff doesn't compare at all.

I had a taste of the barrel proof and the bottled stuff doesn't compare at all.

It never does Oscar, in ANY expression.

IMO the current Pappy 15 blows the Jeff 17 out of the water.... JMHO.

A Bernheim will never blow the doors off a Stitzel-Weller IMO. I guess we just don't agree.

A Bernheim will never blow the doors off a Stitzel-Weller IMO. I guess we just don't agree.

To bring that point home I have an Old Fitz BIB 1994 liter bottling from DSP 16 that I will trade straight up to you for a Pappy 15..... of any vintage.

I too would trade some of my DSP 16 BIB's for some Pappy 15's....but not all of them. A lot of those SW BIB's are young whiskey. And you have Julian and Preston selecting Pappy 15 vs a large dump of four year old SW into those DSP-16's.

The comparison of JR 17yo to Pappy 15 is a fair one as they're of similar age and both wheated whiskey. Personally, there are nights when each have bested the other in my glass.

Randy

Hope you got enough of those to back up all the requests you'll be receiving in the coming hours.

I thought the offer was specifically for Joe, hence the underlined you.

I thought the offer was specifically for Joe, hence the underlined you.

I guess maybe I should have qualified my argument. I should have said that I'll put an age stated SW up against a similar age stated Bernheim anytime IMO. I did not mean to make it a blanket statement.

Well, that didn't take long - three bottles from Batch 8 arrived today.

Anyone have any from this Batch who can share their thoughts on the

taste? I have an opened bottle from Batch 3 but there's still quite a

bit remaining for me to open a new bottle just to compare.

The Jefferson 17 is the kind of product that is sold essentially to the followers of this board. I would say the verdict here was lukewarm, a buy signal but a tepid one. So people who might otherwise buy a case of something like this if they have the money and the chance bought a bottle or two instead. Zoeller probably thought that if he said the words "Stitzel-Weller," no price would be too high. I might have made that same decision put in the same position, yet it turned out (apparently) to have been wrong.

There are no sure things in business.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.