What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I polished off my bottle and then moved on to Stagg '09.

Cheers to ya! I finished my bottle of Wathen's and then stuck with OGD114 the rest of the night. Twas a long one at that. Poker from 10pm-1am. Then bumper pool until 4am. I just woke up.

The '68 Old Fitz was...well, it was Old Fitz BIB from 1968! What more needs to be said? That bottle is nearing its end and will very likely be my first post in the 'Empty Bottle Support Group' thread.

What's the rule of thumb on an old age statement? Was the '68 distilled in '68 or bottled in '68.

I have a half gallon of Old Fitz BIB that was distilled '58, bottled '64. Pictures up in the collectibles forum. Man I can't wait to open that thing, but I have a feeling it's gonna be around for a loooong time.

What's the rule of thumb on an old age statement? Was the '68 distilled in '68 or bottled in '68.

I have a half gallon of Old Fitz BIB that was distilled '58, bottled '64. Pictures up in the collectibles forum. Man I can't wait to open that thing, but I have a feeling it's gonna be around for a loooong time.

This was Bottled in '68.

Half a gallon? Nice!

Celebrating Repeal Day with an Old Fitz BiB (c. 2009) on the rocks followed by a Wathen's (c. 2009). All of this after a 2005 Novus Riesling (Rheinhessen). All apologies to my great-grandfather who used to break into impassioned rants about the man, but God bless you FDR.:usflag: :grin:

Celebrating Repeal Day with an Old Fitz BiB (c. 2009) on the rocks followed by a Wathen's (c. 2009). All of this after a 2005 Novus Riesling (Rheinhessen). All apologies to my great-grandfather who used to break into impassioned rants about the man, but God bless you FDR.:usflag: :grin:

Not to stray off topic, but I am sipping an EC12 while putting up outside Christmas Decorations but....my Mother-in-Law tells the story of how her dad and elders in the family used to have those same impassioned rants about FDR while sitting around the kitchen table. She says that she was 20 years old before she learned that his real name was Franklin Delano, and not "That Damn" Roosevelt. :D

Cheers to ya! I finished my bottle of Wathen's and then stuck with OGD114 the rest of the night. Twas a long one at that. Poker from 10pm-1am. Then bumper pool until 4am. I just woke up.

I miss those kind of nights! :grin:

Went to a Christmas party for the wife's work on Friday night and was stuck with Maker's neat. Not a bad pour, but I never drink this and for $8 a pour it kinda hurt.

Went to a Christmas party for the wife's work on Friday night and was stuck with Maker's neat. Not a bad pour, but I never drink this and for $8 a pour it kinda hurt.
LOL...the cost of that one pour could have bought you almost half a bottle...I hope you had a big glass waiting for them! :D

oh yeah, last night while chatting with the guys I had a pour of Binny's BT, OFBB 2007, and a RHF...three very nice pours!

Was going to go the single malt scotch route last night but an unexpected guest showed up at our house and we turned instead to bourbon, opening a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald (BHC). Nice stuff but not quite the knockout I was hoping for. After a few pours we switched over to OF BIB in order to stretch my BHC bottle for another day. Finished with a final pour of Fighting Cock before hitting the hay. Good friends, good tunes and good bourbon. That's a nice Saturday night in my book.

Enjoying some Rare Breed while watching my Colts man-handle the allegedly hot Titans. Also crossing my fingers for an upset SB.com Fantasy Football win over the mighty TomH, without my star receiver DeSean Jackson.

Loving the vanilla on this bird. I've had ups and downs with WTKS, but this Breed has never turned on me.:grin:

Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000, neat.

Barreled: 1-10-00

Barrel No: 64

Bottled on: 10-23-09

I though EWSB were suppose to be 10yo.

But it's only 2 months and a little more than 2 weeks short, and the important part is it did spend 10 Summers in the wood.

But it's only 2 months and a little more than 2 weeks short, and the important part is it did spend 10 Summers in the wood.

Not bad is it?

Mine is 3/30/00, Barrel 31, bottled on 10/14/09.

Good stuff. Probably my second favorite vintage overall.

After enjoying a few drams of Scotch tonight (Nadurra and Uigedail) I'm finishing off with a sweet pour of RHF.

After enjoying a few drams of Scotch tonight (Nadurra and Uigedail) I'm finishing off with a sweet pour of RHF.

OOOOooohhhhhh, two of my favs !!!!:yum:

I went the WLW route. 05 vs 09.:skep:

OOOOooohhhhhh, two of my favs !!!!:yum:

I went the WLW route. 05 vs 09.:skep:

Which came out on top? I'm finding the '08 very tasty but a bit too easy going. I haven't cracked an '09 yet.

What bourbon should I be drinking? I'm a bourbon noob, since I always preferred Jack Daniels and The Macallan during the holidays, but I want to try a bourbon this year. A good one. My only history with bourbon is black label Jim Beam, which I wouldn't use as a mouth wash.

I wanted to try Basil Hayden's but haven't been able to locate a bottle locally, yet. I can find it at Bev Mo, but that's 20 miles round trip, and that's much too far to ask somebody to drive out and get me just one bottle. I hear it's real smooth stuff. I like smooth. I mostly drink Myer's Rum for its mildly sweet, smooth taste. But, the holidays scream for something different. Bourbon is what I want to try this year, and something matching my taste. Nothing too dry, harsh or bitter. I understand Basil Hayden's very light bodied, but will it match my taste?

I would like to try Buffalo Trace, but I understand that's even more difficult to locate. Plus, I'm not aware of the cost. I want to keep it around $40 a bottle. How is it?

Any tips, suggestions or help you guys can offer me is appreciated. :cool:

What bourbon should I be drinking? I'm a bourbon noob, since I always preferred Jack Daniels and The Macallan during the holidays, but I want to try a bourbon this year. A good one. My only history with bourbon is black label Jim Beam, which I wouldn't use as a mouth wash.

I wanted to try Basil Hayden's but haven't been able to locate a bottle locally, yet. I can find it at Bev Mo, but that's 20 miles round trip, and that's much too far to ask somebody to drive out and get me just one bottle. I hear it's real smooth stuff. I like smooth. I mostly drink Myer's Rum for its mildly sweet, smooth taste. But, the holidays scream for something different. Bourbon is what I want to try this year, and something matching my taste. Nothing too dry, harsh or bitter. I understand Basil Hayden's very light bodied, but will it match my taste?

I would like to try Buffalo Trace, but I understand that's even more difficult to locate. Plus, I'm not aware of the cost. I want to keep it around $40 a bottle. How is it?

Welcome sin! One cool fearture here is that there is a Bourbon recomendation area on everybody's profiles. So if you need some ideas of what to try, click on some profiles and see what other people like.

Also Sijan has a thread that might be helpful:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

Fishnbowljoe has a "welcome newbies" thread too, but I can't find it:searching: . But trust me it's good.

Welcome aboard -- you won't find abundant love for Basil Hayden here, but it is a nice, light, if overpriced, bourbon. If you can find Old Granddad 114, it is slightly younger, but basically the same as BH when watered down to 80 proof.

As far as Buffalo Trace, it hovers around the $20-25 range -- you should almost be able to get a bottle each of the BT & the OGD114 for the price of one bottle of Basil Hayden.

Yesterday I had a couple OGD114s myself . . . big pours as I was trying to finish off the bottle and make room in the cabinet for a BT I have had on deck. I had a couple big pours then a huge plate of nachos & I succeeded in putting the OGD to rest, but it worked on me, too -- after seeing the end of the Pats game, I woke up on the couch about halfway through the Giants and Cowboys . . .

had a pour of BT a few hours later, but it wasn't working for me.

While I would like to be sippin on something, I'm fighting a cold, cough, sore throat and goo. Can't taste much of anything and I've found that if I do try something, it tastes really off.

While I would like to be sippin on something, I'm fighting a cold, cough, sore throat and goo. Can't taste much of anything and I've found that if I do try something, it tastes really off.

Sorry to hear that, Greg. That just ripped through our house over the last month. First me, then my wife, then daughter. I found that the T.H. Handy stands up well. Maybe, try that.

Hey Sin! Forget the Basil Hayden's and go with Maker's Mark. It's a quality bourbon that's easy to approach and seems to fit the flavor profile you're seeking. You can also find it just about anywhere for $25 or so. One thing you'll learn around here is that you don't have to spend in excess of $30 to get excellent bourbon, and many great ones can be had for less than $20!

Welcome sin! One cool fearture here is that there is a Bourbon recomendation area on everybody's profiles. So if you need some ideas of what to try, click on some profiles and see what other people like.

Also Sijan has a thread that might be helpful:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

Fishnbowljoe has a "welcome newbies" thread too, but I can't find it:searching: . But trust me it's good.

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

I noticed the bourbon recommendations in peoples profiles, but I don't really know how to make of it all. It's a starting point, at least.

Thanks for the link, too. But I noticed one of Sijan's favorites is the one bourbon that stopped me from drinking any more of it. Jim Beam Black. I don't know if I had a bad bottle or what, but it was harsh, bitter and had way too much bite. Plus, I didn't care for the flavor. Even mixed with pop, it wasn't enjoyable. A few friends are surprised I don't like it, on account I sip on Jack Daniel's straight up a lot.

I appreciate your help and thanks again for the nice welcome. :cool:

Welcome aboard -- you won't find abundant love for Basil Hayden here, but it is a nice, light, if overpriced, bourbon. If you can find Old Granddad 114, it is slightly younger, but basically the same as BH when watered down to 80 proof.

I've read that here already. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm glad I got the low-down! I think you guys saved me $40. Thank you. I guess I'll try something else, first.

As far as Buffalo Trace, it hovers around the $20-25 range -- you should almost be able to get a bottle each of the BT & the OGD114 for the price of one bottle of Basil Hayden.

Hmmm, two bottle for the price of one? Me likey. Since OGD114 is basically BH, I'd prefer to get that instead and just add my own bottled water. I understand the extra aging adds flavors I'll be missing, but hey I think I wont miss it that much.

Hey Sin! Forget the Basil Hayden's and go with Maker's Mark. It's a quality bourbon that's easy to approach and seems to fit the flavor profile you're seeking. You can also find it just about anywhere for $25 or so. One thing you'll learn around here is that you don't have to spend in excess of $30 to get excellent bourbon, and many great ones can be had for less than $20!

You know what, I came to that conclusion myself reading all the great posts yesterday. I gained a lot of good info in the first few hours.

I'm glad you concur with what I figured should be my starting point. I'm going to purchase a bottle of Maker's Mark the next visit to the store. I think it carries this particular brand, so no need to make a special trip someplace else.

Again, thank you all for the help and the warm welcome! You guys rock! :cool:

Ive had about 6-7 bottles from a few different barrels of the '99 and i think the were all about 2 months short of 10 years.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!