Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds like I need to plan a road trip...but, very few vacation days left this year. :cry: I may have to pay a hired gun of a like mind who is closer or planning to make the trip for some of these jewels.

Sounds like I need to plan a road trip...but, very few vacation days left this year. :cry: I may have to pay a hired gun of a like mind who is closer or planning to make the trip for some of these jewels.

I would be thrilled to get my hands on some of these gift shop bottles as well but I can't make it down there either.

• 2 months later...

I am looking to take a deeper dive into the FR 10 recipes. I have tasted some of the LE single barrels, LE small batches, and a few gift shop/private barrels. I will be in KY this April and I am looking to taste all 10 recipes to find my favorites. Can anyone recommend a bar where I can taste all 10? Where would you recommend picking up the winners? gift shop? TPS?

You may be able to try them all at TPS new whiskey library. Prob just grab them there too unless there's something crazy good at the gs.

Arguably a vodka guy does like the taste of alcohol.

Right. And only the taste of alcohol. Must get rid of all those filthy congeners

• 1 month later...

As reported here first by Phil T, http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21905-2014-Four-Roses-LE-Single-Barrel

The 2014 Limited Edition Single Barrel (1B) will use the OESF recipe.

Chart updated below.

Letter Abbreviations

O-...............The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-...............The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-...The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

How the 10 recipes have been used

Four Roses Bourbon aka Yellow Label-All 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 recipes.

Single Barrel-OBSV

2007 1B LE-OESO

2008 1B LE-OBSK

2009 1B LE-OESQ

2010 1B LE-OBSV

2011 1B LE-OBSQ

2012 1B LE-OESK

2013 1B LE-OBSK

2014 1B LE-OESF

Small Batch-OBSK,OBSO, OESK, OESO

2008 Mariage-OBSV 13yo 5months, OESK 10yo 10months

2009 Mariage-OBSK 19yo & 10yo, OESO 10yo

2010 SmB LE-OBSV 15yo, OBSK 11yo, OESK 10yo

2011 SmB LE-OBSK 13yo, OESK 11yo, OESV 12yo, OESQ13yo

2012 SmB LE-OBSV 17yo & 11yo, OBSK 12yo, OESK 12yo

2013 SmB LE-OBSV 18yo, OBSK 13yo, OESK 13yo

Thanks for posting that breakdown Oscar! I didn't know the 2009 Mariage had a 19yr OBSK in it, that's the oldest FR I've heard of, very cool!

Thanks for posting that breakdown Oscar! I didn't know the 2009 Mariage had a 19yr OBSK in it, that's the oldest FR I've heard of, very cool!

I would have loved to have gotten a bottle of just the 19yo, that would have been good.

Jim Rutledge said once that he was dissapointed in how the 2009 Mariage turned out because when they married the 3 bourbons together they switched the percentages of the 19 & 10 yo OBSK.

And it was of course different than what Mr Rutledge planned on.

I love the way the '09 turned out but I wish I could try it the way it was meant to be.

I would have loved to have gotten a bottle of just the 19yo, that would have been good.

Jim Rutledge said once that he was dissapointed in how the 2009 Mariage turned out because when they married the 3 bourbons together they switched the percentages of the 19 & 10 yo OBSK.

And it was of course different than what Mr Rutledge planned on.

I love the way the '09 turned out but I wish I could try it the way it was meant to be.

Agreed, I would love to have a bottle of 19yr OBSK as well! I think they still have barrels of 18yr OBSV but they are below 100 proof and Jim won't release a bottle of barrel proof bourbon below 100 proof. Just curious as to what they will do with it...

I have some barrel proof OBSK 10yo 121.2prf and OESO 10yo 116.6prf.

I know I could never match the 2009 Mariage because I don't have the same age and proofs and don't know the percentage breakdown but it would be fun to try to make some of my own.

I was thinking of vatting 2 parts OBSK and 1 part OESO for starters and go from there.

Like I said it'd be fun trying.

I do some vatting myself, from time to time. Right now my favorite vatting is mixing some OBSO and some OESV. They are both from the GS and the OESV is around 127 proof, and it's pretty hot. So I mix it with the OBSO which is a little on the sweet side and the vatting works out pretty well, I think. I usually don't get too scientific, just eyeball the fill level in my glass.

• 3 weeks later...
they still have barrels of 18yr OBSV but they are below 100 proof and Jim won't release a bottle of barrel proof bourbon below 100 proof. Just curious as to what they will do with it...

I heard a few years ago that they had a barrel that came in under 80 proof.

They bottled it and gave it away to their employees.

I am doing a similar vatting with a store selection OESV and a GS OBSQ. The V is spicier than I would expect of an E while the Q on the other is that rarest of birds, a Four Roses I just don't like. l was seriously wondering how I was going to ever get through that Q bottle when I read your post and decided to mate it with the V. The OESV on its own is an OK pour but one I don't mind sacrificing to vatting. Vatted at 50/50 and cut to 100p this is now a very enjoyable pour so THANK YOU!! for the idea cause I was dreading that OBSQ. The sweetness/spice and cream of the V really enhances what little sweetness is in the Q and makes an interesting drink of what is a pretty flat uninteresting pour, not much sweet/spice or character. I now prefer this to either of them stand alone so this was a big winner for me.

• I like it 1

I am doing a similar vatting with a store selection OESV and a GS OBSQ. The V is spicier than I would expect of an E while the Q on the other is that rarest of birds, a Four Roses I just don't like. l was seriously wondering how I was going to ever get through that Q bottle when I read your post and decided to mate it with the V. The OESV on its own is an OK pour but one I don't mind sacrificing to vatting. Vatted at 50/50 and cut to 100p this is now a very enjoyable pour so THANK YOU!! for the idea cause I was dreading that OBSQ. The sweetness/spice and cream of the V really enhances what little sweetness is in the Q and makes an interesting drink of what is a pretty flat uninteresting pour, not much sweet/spice or character. I now prefer this to either of them stand alone so this was a big winner for me.

Is that the "Greens" OESV?

You are very welcome, glad you are enjoying the vatting! Drink them in good health, cheers!

Is that the "Greens" OESV?
Edited by kcgumbohead
additional info

• 2 months later...

In case anyone was wondering........here is what is in the two bourbons that Four Roses releases only in Japan:

Four Roses Super Premium (Platinum): Both mashbills are used with V and K yeast strains. A minimum of 20% of the barrels dumped for Platinum have been aged greater than 10 years, and 80% have been aged greater than 8 years.

Fine Old Bourbon (Black Label): 50% of each mashbill and K yeast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.