Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks HanaMizu, I have always wondered about those.

Soooo, a 50/50 blend of OBSK & OESK? Yes that sounds like a winner. Especially at a higher proof.

• 2 weeks later...

Chart updated with the 2 Japanese exports thanks to HanaMizu for the info.

Letter Abbreviations

O-...............The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-...............The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-...The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

How the 10 recipes have been used

Four Roses Bourbon aka Yellow Label-All 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 recipes.

Single Barrel-OBSV

2007 1B LE-OESO

2008 1B LE-OBSK

2009 1B LE-OESQ

2010 1B LE-OBSV

2011 1B LE-OBSQ

2012 1B LE-OESK

2013 1B LE-OBSK

2014 1B LE-OESF

Small Batch-OBSK,OBSO, OESK, OESO

2008 Mariage-OBSV 13yo 5months, OESK 10yo 10months

2009 Mariage-OBSK 19yo & 10yo, OESO 10yo

2010 SmB LE-OBSV 15yo, OBSK 11yo, OESK 10yo

2011 SmB LE-OBSK 13yo, OESK 11yo, OESV 12yo, OESQ13yo

2012 SmB LE-OBSV 17yo & 11yo, OBSK 12yo, OESK 12yo

2013 SmB LE-OBSV 18yo, OBSK 13yo, OESK 13yo

Super Premium aka Platinum-OBSV, OESK

Fine Old Bourbon aka Black Label-OBSK, OESK

• 3 weeks later...

Chart updated to included the 2014 Small Batch Limited Edition.

Thanx 2 tuntime for the info as reported here first,... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?22452-Four-Roses-2014-Small-Batch-LE

Letter Abbreviations

O-...............The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-...............The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-...The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

How the 10 recipes have been used

Four Roses Bourbon aka Yellow Label-All 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 recipes.

Single Barrel-OBSV

2007 1B LE-OESO

2008 1B LE-OBSK

2009 1B LE-OESQ

2010 1B LE-OBSV

2011 1B LE-OBSQ

2012 1B LE-OESK

2013 1B LE-OBSK

2014 1B LE-OESF

Small Batch-OBSK,OBSO, OESK, OESO

2008 Mariage-OBSV 13yo 5months, OESK 10yo 10months

2009 Mariage-OBSK 19yo & 10yo, OESO 10yo

2010 SmB LE-OBSV 15yo, OBSK 11yo, OESK 10yo

2011 SmB LE-OBSK 13yo, OESK 11yo, OESV 12yo, OESQ13yo

2012 SmB LE-OBSV 17yo & 11yo, OBSK 12yo, OESK 12yo

2013 SmB LE-OBSV 18yo, OBSK 13yo, OESK 13yo

2014 SmB LE-OBSK 9yo, OBSV 13yo, OESV 12yo, OBSF 11yo

Super Premium aka Platinum-OBSV, OESK

Fine Old Bourbon aka Black Label-OBSK, OESK

• 1 month later...
Spec's got in their Barrel selections of all 10 recipes.

Grabbed three:

OBSF- 63.2

OESQ- 54.4

OESO- 51.6

Interesting thing... I went by to pick up an OESK and was looking at the bottle on the way out and saw 35% rye. Didn't really register. Until I was driving away. Wait a sec.... Went back to the store to check the other bottles, prepared to make an exchange if I had somehow mixed up the recipes. But sure enough, all the OESKs are mislabeled as 35% rye.

Edit to add: figures that the first Four Roses bottle I ever buy would cause undue confusion...

Edited by dcbt

Interesting thing... I went by to pick up an OESK and was looking at the bottle on the way out and saw 35% rye. Didn't really register. Until I was driving away. Wait a sec.... Went back to the store to check the other bottles, prepared to make an exchange if I had somehow mixed up the recipes. But sure enough, all the OESKs are mislabeled as 35% rye.

Edit to add: figures that the first Four Roses bottle I ever buy would cause undue confusion...

Had to go check mine after reading this.

Mine are all correctly labeled.

(although I'm sure I's still drink them if they weren't).

I emailed 4R about my OESK label. They confirmed they knew about this issue but thought they had found them all before shipping. He also pointed out the barrel date was wrong on my label (but at least the bourbon was the right recipe!) They are sending me a corrected label and some rocks glasses to boot. Well done, much appreciated.

I emailed 4R about my OESK label. They confirmed they knew about this issue but thought they had found them all before shipping. He also pointed out the barrel date was wrong on my label (but at least the bourbon was the right recipe!) They are sending me a corrected label and some rocks glasses to boot. Well done, much appreciated.
Wow, throwing in the rocks glasses was a very gracious move. Those folks have class.

Well damn, I want an incorrect label now. :lol:

Specs gets these now, when did this happen?

I think they got them about a week ago. I saw them last Friday and went back to buy some Monday.

Apparently 4R were supposed to visit the stores this week with samples.

Specs gets these now, when did this happen?

I asked Simon if Spec's is going to do this more often in the future and he replied in typical Spec's fashion: "We do it all the time with scotch but haven't done much with bourbon in the past." I know that, how about going forward, though? "Well, we have a lot of store select scotches, here let me take you there." Nevermind.

Stopped by True Spirits today and they were doing samples of the five options they are picking their private barrel from.

I tried not to look at the recipes, and just listed them by number in order of preference.

I think my top choice was an OBSK.

I asked Simon if Spec's is going to do this more often in the future and he replied in typical Spec's fashion: "We do it all the time with scotch but haven't done much with bourbon in the past." I know that, how about going forward, though? "Well, we have a lot of store select scotches, here let me take you there." Nevermind.

It does take a bit of singlemindedness to get out of a Spec's with only a bottle of what you went in there for in the first place. They try very hard to steer you to whatever happens to be the flavor of the day.

Stopped by True Spirits today and they were doing samples of the five options they are picking their private barrel from.

I tried not to look at the recipes, and just listed them by number in order of preference.

I think my top choice was an OBSK.

Did the same thing and picked OBSK as well. OBSF and OESF were also good. I didn't care for OBSO or OBSQ, although I've had a batch of OBSQ that I did like a couple if years ago.

Did the same thing and picked OBSK as well. OBSF and OESF were also good. I didn't care for OBSO or OBSQ, although I've had a batch of OBSQ that I did like a couple if years ago.

I was pretty disappointed with the lot. I really enjoyed the specs obsk, so I'm not sure if I was just off when I tried them

I stopped by Specs tonight and picked up an OBSK and an OESK. I went first with the OBSK because of the positive reviews in this thread, then I just chose the OESK based on the taste descriptions listed on the hangtag. The only other two recipes they had on the shelf were the OESQ and the OESF which didn't sound as appealing to me going by the listed taste decriptions.

I'm not good at tasting notes, but I will say they are both very different but also both very good in their own way. The OBSK tasted a bit 'darker' like maybe it was aged longer, though according to the labels it's only about 6 weeks older than the OESK. I think I do prefer the OBSK over the OESK, but the OESK is still good in it's own right. I'm glad I got them both. My OESK is also one of the mislabeled (35% rye) bottles.

Thanks guys, if I hadn't seen it here I would've probably missed out. I hope Specs does these barrel picks more often!

Edited by gblick

Hi all,

So I'm somewhat new to all this, and am interested in trying out some of the different 4R recipes, and realize that the private barrels are probably my best bet as opposed to trying to locate, at retail price, the limited editions. Any advice on where I might find some, or any good online retailers to purchase from? I live in DC, and don't believe many, if any, retailers here get private selections (though I may certainly be wrong about that). And is their a consensus (or as close as there can be to one) regarding which recipe to be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

Edited by agrant77

Hi all,

So I'm somewhat new to all this, and am interested in trying out some of the different 4R recipes, and realize that the private barrels are probably my best bet as opposed to trying to locate, at retail price, the limited editions. Any advice on where I might find some, or any good online retailers to purchase from? I live in DC, and don't believe many, if any, retailers here get private selections (though I may certainly be wrong about that). And is their a consensus (or as close as there can be to one) regarding which recipe to be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

If you are able to receive shipments in your locale, I'd suggest just shopping online at Binny's. They seem to have all recipes all the time.

As said above, Binny's is your best bet to find a wide selection, if not all, of the ten recipes. If they don't ship to you, there's probably a retailer that does though they may only have one recipe at a time.

To decide which one to try first, see this thread with a poll of SB members favorite recipes: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?22627-Pick-your-favorite-Four-Roses-Single-Barrel-recipe

OBSK is the favorite. OBSV, if you don't already know, is the recipe of the standard single barrel, so try other Private Selections first if possible.

If you are able to receive shipments in your locale, I'd suggest just shopping online at Binny's. They seem to have all recipes all the time.

I'm not sure about their other stores, but as of this past Saturday, Binny's South Loop store had already sold out all of their most recent picks of all ten recipes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.