Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Great, thanks for all the help, and Binny's does ship to DC, so I'll jump on getting some before the rest sell out!

I hope Specs does these barrel picks more often!

Given that all of these can be picked with ease and they seem to have nearly sold everything within 2 weeks, plus the need to feed a bourbon mob thirsty for limited editions that can't be stocked fast enough, I'd say they'd be foolish not to.

Mrs Tot picked us up three OBSOs and an OESF. Won't get to taste them until November.

If they are anything like my GS versions of those recipes you will be very happy indeed. They are very different and VERY good. I will be adding OESFs as I locate them as that has become my favorite among favorites.

Given that all of these can be picked with ease and they seem to have nearly sold everything within 2 weeks, plus the need to feed a bourbon mob thirsty for limited editions that can't be stocked fast enough, I'd say they'd be foolish not to.

Mrs Tot picked us up three OBSOs and an OESF. Won't get to taste them until November.

I had the privilege today to be involved in a 4R barrel select for my local liquor store. They were sent 5 samples, all were very good but 2 stood out, and they were both OBSK. We all (4 of us) finally picked a barrel. Hopefully it will be in in November. The store owner gave me what was left to drink. He took the OBSK that we didn't pick (he liked it more than the barrel we decided on).

post-9285-14489821439313_thumb.jpg

I didn't see this really covered much above, but I apologize if I missed it. Is the Specs Barrel Pick OESF pretty much the exact same thing as the 2014 1BLE other than being a different barrel and being aged slightly longer? I have an opportunity to buy a bottle of the 2014 1BSF but I've already got a bottle of the Specs OESF.

I am interested in this too as the only OESF I have tried is my GS OESF and it is an all time favorite. The Fs have a rep for being quite variable so the answer to this may help define what kind of variable range they occupy in as much as that small a sample size can, but hey, its a start. If they are consistent with what I have found in my GS then I will step up my efforts to seek out more OESFs. Mine is 10yr 4mo, 120p with a profile of spice, apricot, green apple and a hint of mint, multi-layered and in a way refreshing, just a really fantastic pour.

I didn't see this really covered much above, but I apologize if I missed it. Is the Specs Barrel Pick OESF pretty much the exact same thing as the 2014 1BLE other than being a different barrel and being aged slightly longer? I have an opportunity to buy a bottle of the 2014 1BSF but I've already got a bottle of the Specs OESF.

I was not overly impressed with the Specs OESF. I still find it enjoyable, just not the best representation of the OESF recipe.

I'm not sure about their other stores, but as of this past Saturday, Binny's South Loop store had already sold out all of their most recent picks of all ten recipes.

Correct. But, I can still grab some for you.

Has anyone tried to find out the proportion of each recipe in the limited edition small batches? I hope to take barrel proof store selection and mix up my own approximation of LE small batches.

Not sure if this has been covered before, but why doesn't FR do a miniature combo pack of all 10 recipes? Rather than drop $600 on all 10 if you can even find them, this would be a very convenient and affordable way for newbies and veterans alike to get exposure to all that FR has to offer. I think such a product would fly off the shelves and FR could get a higher profit margin out of barrels bottled only as minis.

Not sure if this has been covered before, but why doesn't FR do a miniature combo pack of all 10 recipes? Rather than drop $600 on all 10 if you can even find them, this would be a very convenient and affordable way for newbies and veterans alike to get exposure to all that FR has to offer. I think such a product would fly off the shelves and FR could get a higher profit margin out of barrels bottled only as minis.

Fly off the shelves would be an understatement. It might be the only thing I would ever buy.

Fly off the shelves would be an understatement. It might be the only thing I would ever buy.

That may be the answer why. Although, if it were a gift shop exclusive, that would be a real treat for anyone visiting the distillery. I e-mailed FR about this a couple years ago and got a coy response that they had considered the combo pack idea and to just wait and see. Well, nothing happened.

A combo pack would also be fun for some home blending and making your own small batch.

If it were a distillery only exclusive, it would drive more people to actually visit the distillery. Much like Willett is a must stop for their gift shop WFE bottles that are now basically unavailable - and MMCS - I could see people visiting KY just to buy such a unique item. I'm planning on driving to Willett and MM just for some shopping in the next month. I'd definitely stop by FR for a combo pack.

What amazes me about the 10 recipes is how different they are. It really does show you what a recipe can do for the flavor and honestly I think its great to learn how different recipe tweaks can totally change the flavor.

Yes, that's also true. Are the standard single barrel offerings drawn from the same mashbill? One would think so even though I understand private selections can be either of the two.

I find it interesting the Seagram scientists developed the 10 recipes so they would have a variety of stocks to blend to a standard that ironed out the vagaries of individual barrel aging. That's the story anyway.

Yes, that's also true. Are the standard single barrel offerings drawn from the same mashbill? One would think so even though I understand private selections can be either of the two.

Yeah, the standard single barrel is always the 'B' mashbill and the 'V' yeast.

Respectfully loki, I believe it's more telling of what a yeast can do.
Ambivalently, I believe the they show what a combination of mash bill and yeast can do.

I'm pretty new to all this so sure.

There are 2 mashbills though...one "high" rye 35 percent and one regular, which is still pretty high rye, at 20 percent.

Has anyone tried to find out the proportion of each recipe in the limited edition small batches? I hope to take barrel proof store selection and mix up my own approximation of LE small batches.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the OESQ as a wedding present, and I thought it was amazing. Only had a small pour last night straight, and it was really good.

• 1 month later...

ABC Fine Wine & Spirits, in Florida ( not to be confused with various state controlled "ABC" liquor establishments ), recently released their barrel proof FR selections - has anyone had a chance to try them yet?

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking about the various private selections I have seen. I feel that many of them are under 10 years. Do the 10 and 11 year selections mean that the barrel was passed up when it was under 10 years?

I was just thinking about the various private selections I have seen. I feel that many of them are under 10 years. Do the 10 and 11 year selections mean that the barrel was passed up when it was under 10 years?

• 1 month later...

The problem with the 10-recipe pack is barrel variation. Just because a barrel was filled from distillate from a particular recipe doesn't mean that barrel will be representative of the recipe. Let's say the first set of 10-packs uses a really good OESQ barrel. A general consensus forms about OESQ being the best among the ten. A run ensues on OESQ, leaving other recipes languishing. So, a 10-pack may skew buying habits by crystallizing general opinions based on insufficient sampling.

Even JR may not always be able to determine the recipe of a blind sample he tastes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.