Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 2009 Mariage contained 19yr & 10yr OBSK along with 10yr OESO...

Yep, you are correct Sir, that is what I have posted on my chart and the "tweaked" chart of Josh.

Am I missing something?

Aren't the O and the S left over from Seagrams? At the time Seagrams owned FR they were producing various types of whiskey at various distilleries.
Yep. That. As I understand it the O was for Old Prentice, one of the names of what's now Four Roses.

I had always wondered about this and now I know,always something for me to learn round here.:grin:

They need to drop the O and the S. I'd also recommend using other terms for the B and E mashbill designation so they just have the letters on the label for the yeast type. I've seen too many people not purchase because of the confusion.

They need to drop the O and the S. I'd also recommend using other terms for the B and E mashbill designation so they just have the letters on the label for the yeast type. I've seen too many people not purchase because of the confusion.

Ha, agreed. By all means keep it confusing! Maybe they can even ADD a few letters, even a digit or two.

Yep. That. As I understand it the O was for Old Prentice, one of the names of what's now Four Roses.

Yes, what you said and what High said (code is vestigal Seagram's), confirmed for me recently by Al Young at Four Roses.

Edited by cowdery
  • I like it 1

Oh, you young kids, always wanting to change everything.

Yes, what you said and what High said (code is vestigal Seagram's), confirmed for me recently by Al Young at Four Roses.

Also, I can announce that the 2013 Limited Edition Single Barrel is OBSK at 13 years old.

That information on the 2013 LE has been out for weeks but thanks anyway for reannouncing it...lol!

Not young enough to be wondering the exact same as you about the new MGP mash bills..."And, of course, I should live so long to taste one of these new recipes fully mature" :grin:.

Edited by T Comp

As in:

"O... like... B... like... S... like... V. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

sku came up with the bourbons that are going to be in the 2013 Small Batch Limited Edition, (I haven't even gotten a bottle of the 2013 Single Barrel LE yet:bigeyes:).

His post here,.... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19927-Fall-New-Releases

I have updated the chart.

Letter Abbreviations

O-...............The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-...............The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-...The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

The Ten Recipes And Where They Have Been Used

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage & 2010 1B 100th Ann & 2010 SmB LE & 2012 SmB LE** & 2013 SmB LE

OBSK-Small Batch & 2008 1B LE 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage* & 2010 SmB LE & 2011 SmB LE & 2012 SmB LE & 2013 1B LE & 2013 SmB LE

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-2011 1B LE

OBSF-

OESV-2011 SmB LE

OESK-Small Batch & 2008 Mariage & 2010 SmB LE & 2011 SmB LE & 2012 1B LE & 2012 SmB LE & 2013 SmB LE

OESO-Small Batch & 2007 1B LE Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESQ-2009 1B LE & 2011 SmB LE

OESF-

*=19yo and 10yo OBSK was used in the 2009 Mariage, so there was a vatting of 3 bourbons in that bottle.

**=17yo and 11yo OBSV was used in the 2012 SmB LE, so there was a vatting of 4 bourbons in that bottle.

Four Roses Bourbon or as commonly referred to as "Yellow Label" uses all 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 bourbons in that bottle.

Below is the same info as above but with bottle releases as the header.

Single Barrel-OBSV

2007 1B LE-OESO

2008 1B LE-OBSK

2009 1B LE-OESQ

2010 1B LE-OBSV

2011 1B LE-OBSQ

2012 1B LE-OESK

2013 1B LE-OBSK

Small Batch-OBSK,OBSO, OESK, OESO

2008 Mariage-OBSV 13yo 5months, OESK 10yo 10months

2009 Mariage-OBSK 19yo & 10yo, OESO 10years

2010 SmB LE-OBSV 15yo, OBSK 11yo, OESK 10yo

2011 SmB LE-OBSK 13yo, OESK 11yo, OESV 12yo, OESQ13yo

2012 SmB LE-OBSV 17yo & 11yo, OBSK 12yo, OESK 12yo

2013 SmB LE-OBSV 18yo, OBSK 13yo, OESK 13yo

Oscar, great list thanks for keeping this up and thanks to the Admin for the sticky. Would anyone care to rank the Mariage/SmB LE by year? I have the 09 and love it. But nothing to compare it to.

• 3 months later...

I have a question regarding LE bottle quantities. I understand that bottles are marked with numbers indicating total number of bottles in the edition. I wonder if anyone else feels it would be useful to list that information in this thread?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's what I've found so far (could use some help):

Bottles

1442 ---- 2007 1B LE - 40th Anniversary JR at FR

~3000----2008 1B LE - 120th Brand Anniversary

~1800----2009 1B LE

~2300----2010 1B LE - 100th Distilling Anniversary

3900 ---- 2011 1B LE - 'JR didn't choose every barrel'

5178 ---- 2012 1B LE

6559 ---- 2013 1B LE

2492 ---- 2008 Mariage

3432 ---- 2009 Mariage

3732 ---- 2010 SmB LE

~3900----2011 SmB LE

4062 ---- 2012 SmB LE

~8000----2013 SmB LE - 125th Brand Anniversary

Edited by MauiSon

• 2 months later...
Well, here's what I've found so far (could use some help):

Bottles

1442 ---- 2007 1B LE - 40th Anniversary JR at FR

~3000----2008 1B LE - 120th Brand Anniversary

~1800----2009 1B LE

~2300----2010 1B LE - 100th Distilling Anniversary

3900 ---- 2011 1B LE - 'JR didn't choose every barrel'

5178 ---- 2012 1B LE

6559 ---- 2013 1B LE - 125th Brand Anniversary (125th Single Barrel)

2492 ---- 2008 Mariage

3432 ---- 2009 Mariage

3732 ---- 2010 SmB LE

~3900----2011 SmB LE

4062 ---- 2012 SmB LE

12468----2013 SmB LE - 125th Brand Anniversary (125th Small Batch)

Both the 1B and SmB LEs for 2013 say they are "celebrating our 125th anniversary." The total you had for the SmB 13 LE was for US distribution, but the rest of the list shows total bottles produced.

Both the 1B and SmB LEs for 2013 say they are "celebrating our 125th anniversary." The total you had for the SmB 13 LE was for US distribution, but the rest of the list shows total bottles produced.

I don't recall the 2013 Single Barrel LE mentioning that, at least on the front, altohugh I don't have one on hand to examine. Might say so on the blurb on the side. But it doesn't have the swanky seal/banner on the front.

Well, there you go. Wonder why they didn't include the colorful little seal that is on the SmB? Perhaps another question for Mr. Rutledge this evening!

Well, there you go. Wonder why they didn't include the colorful little seal that is on the SmB? Perhaps another question for Mr. Rutledge this evening!

Ask him about it. I'm curious too. The 1B does mention celebrating 125 years twice as you can see on the bottle. On the Four Roses webpage for the 1B LE it mentions it there as well and even goes on to say on the SmB LE page that the SmB LE "is a continuation of the 125th celebration." I think the 125th embellishment on the SmB LE was sort of an afterthought and not meant to be the official name of that bottle.

Keeping the "official" 125th release on the Small Batch gives a welcome respite from "FRSmBLE13". Heaven forbid they do some kind of sherry finish and variable proofs. I can see it now... FRSmBLE15PX107

Edit: For the record, that would make a pretty amazing password.

Ask him about it. I'm curious too. The 1B does mention celebrating 125 years twice as you can see on the bottle. On the Four Roses webpage for the 1B LE it mentions it there as well and even goes on to say on the SmB LE page that the SmB LE "is a continuation of the 125th celebration." I think the 125th embellishment on the SmB LE was sort of an afterthought and not meant to be the official name of that bottle.

Dang, I knew there was something I forgot! Oh well, hope to see him back in town perhaps in February.

I got the November newsletter from Four Roses today. I will copy and paste this part that I think you guys will find interesting. This Holiday Season we will have something special in our Visitor Center and Gift Shop. A few weeks ago I selected a barrel of each of our 10 Bourbon recipes. The barrels will be bottled on November 22nd and available for purchase in our gift shops by the end of the month. As with the Limited Edition series, the Bourbon will be bottled at barrel strength and will not be chill filtered. I hope many of you can visit us and pick up one of your favorite recipes, or one in which you may not have previously been able to find. I will sign as many of the bottles as possible.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.