What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Due to the overwhelming positive responce (and ongoing relevancy) to the original thread, there have been so many posts that some of us with dial up modems that are having a hard time loading the original thread. The best course of action I can think of is to create a new thread and continue on there. So fire away.

Anyway, I am going to go have an Manhattan with Old Granddad BIB before eating dinner, the spiciness seems to me to lend itself marvelously to the drink.

Rock on Yo!

TomC

Hi all- drinking Old Forrester-100 proof tonight- read on the forum that it has the same style as the birthday bourbon. It is good, but a long way from the birthday bourbon. The birthday bourbon is very special indeed!Smoooooth!!! and balanced perfectly.

Cheers,

Marvin

Good choice Marvin. I dearly love OF 100. I will disagree with your assertion that it has a "long way to go" before reaching the BB. IMHO it is closer to a photo finish. I think we should do a comparison tasting of the two. Look for that thread maybe tomorrow night grin.gif

Old Fitzgerald BIB. I am working on my first ever bottle of this one. As far as wheated bourbons go I would rank this one equal to Maker's Mark, slightly above Weller, and well below the Van Winkle's. tongue.gif

Tom,

Thanks for taking pity on those of us with constricted information flow. wink.gif

A little earlier this afternoon I was composing a post (which Windows 98 saw fit to trash) while drinking a scant shot of EWSB '92. Unlike some reviewers, I have a hard time working up a lot of passion about this bourbon.

I've read glowing praise, and I've read damnation by the faintest possible praise. I don't get either viewpoint.

It has more than a tad of the mediciney quality that I associate with EC12 (and that's a good thing), along with some other notes that I haven't identified. This afternoon I would have sworn that there was the aroma of the peach-picking sheds that I knew as a kid, and some of that even carried over to the palate.

I find it to be an interesting drink with a unique flavor profile, but perhaps a bit overpriced -- I find EC12 more enjoyable for less money.

Now, let's see... What was I writing about when my screen went zappooski?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Almost brings a tear to my eyes to see such a wonderful thread come to an end. With 3357 hits and 246 posts it was hands down the most popular thread on the board. Way to go Clogsdon laugh.gif Maybe everyone here should just get DSL like me grin.gif

Right now it's Birthday Bourbon, the shining star of my Super Bowl lineup. As for Sunday, the Stagg performed more than admirably, as the true all pro that it is; the Kentucky Spirit, however, was brash and noisy and (as I have frequently thought) alot of top end show without the substance to back it up; but the Birthday Bourbon was, on Sunday anyway, as sublime a bourbon as one could ask for. There just isn't anything about it that I would change, except maybe to kick up the proof a bit.

I will read with interest any comparisons between the OF BIB and the 2002 Birthday. The BIB is presently AWOL from the bunker. In my humble opinion, the Birthday Bourbon is "all that" and more. I agree completely that it is "perfectly balanced," quite simply a fabulous, full-bodied bourbon that deserves to sit deep in the bunker for years to come.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

the Kentucky Spirit, however, was brash and noisy and (as I have frequently thought) alot of top end show without the substance to back it up

Cliff,

You're killing me here. That kind of talk is blasphemy around these parts. The BB is very, very good, but it needs to learn its place in the bourbon pecking order. KS is hands down the single best, always available, bourbon on the market. If you have read any of my posts you will know that I hold all of the OF bourbons in high esteem, but Wild Turkey puts them all to shame. God Bless Jimmy Russell ooo.gif

Jeff, just my reaction to this one particular year 2000 KS bottle on this one particular Sunday. I plan to investigate a 2002 bottle of KS that's in the bunker and some other WT bottlings in there, including a Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, and a Ltd. Ed. gold label 12yo, to learn more about the Russell profile, generally, and to try to understand why I am frequently disappointed by this particular KS bottle.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

just my reaction to this one particular year 2000 KS bottle

2000? My god man, didn't you check the "born-on" dating on the bottle? You've got a bottle of skunky bourbon grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I may have to save this bottle for a serious September gazebo critique (after salvaging the pewter stopper for posterity)!

See, the shitty thing is I WANT to get DSL, and would even pay for it, but they dont provide it around here. . . tongue.giftongue.gif

TomC

I will agree wholeheartedly that Wild Turkey Bourbon is king of the roost ( I ranked Russell's Reserve at #1 ahead of Birthday Bourbon myself, have yet to try KS), but I will admit I am quite biased toward their whiskeys basic profile. They also get extra credit for bottling the vast majority of their bourbon (&rye) at 101 proof grin.gif !

TomC

Marvin has been saying so many good things about VOB BIB recently that I just had to tap that bottle yet again. It had a pretty little sweet butterscoth undertone in it that just begged to be rolled around in the mouth, with a luxurious spicy finish. You can tell that all the extra effort that went into it payed off!

TomC

Your cable company doesn't even offer a high speed connection Tom? Wow, i though for sure Ohio would have it... Just wait, i'm sure with time...

after several days of blantons, i decided to try eagle rare 10yr again.

It was good, so good i ended up having 3 drinks before 8pm wink.gif

All the major cities have it, and some of the surrounding areas as well, but when they deregulated the cable companies a while back it slowed the spread through to the more rural areas to a halt. BLEAH. It will get here eventually I know, but the wait is annoying.

TomC

My cable connection isn't as good as it used to be. It used to be super fast, but now, all of the damn pop ups keep slowing things down, and many times, freezing up the computer, so I just turn it off and start over. I know that I'm still better off then with a regular old modem, but it sure is frustrating when all I want to do is read what my friends at StraightBourbon have to say! wink.gif

Bob

Good idea Jeff! That is what I have been doing for the last couple of hours-First OF 100-very good-a little coarse-definetly dark chocolate-a little carmel and spices and a hint of leather-full bodied-hint of butterscotch and oranges and a sharp touch of spicy rye. One hour later the birthday bourbon-seems to come together a little smoother-chocolate covered cherries-(I love that chocolate)-definetly the same style of bourbon, but Oh!so smoooooth!!! No harshness what-so-ever-certainly this is my kind of bourbon. Sure wish Linn was here to set us straight on this matter, but as long as we can disagree with two bourbons this good I think we are both in luck!

Cheers,

Marvin

The old thread has done me proud. It made me feel good that a newbie like me could get you all talking so much.

I have just one request for MurphyDawg - kill your thread before it gets as big as my old one! I want the record! grin.gif We'll get another modem volunteer to start phase three of the thread in a few months just so I can still be top dawg. wink.gif

In front of me at the moment are a glass each of the BB, WR and OF100. These were used as scientific data in my recent Brown-Foreman study. All truely fine bourbons, but the BB is just the best, end of story!

George T Stagg with a single ice cube. I am feeling a little free're with the Stagg since my recent discovery of hidden treasures. I now have 6 full bottles and about 1/2 of my first bottle. This is also the first time I am drinking it with anything added. As the ice melts I am getting stronger hints of black tea and honey. Very nice. Also, being chilled takes a little of the burn out of the start and finish, and allows more of the flavors to shine through.

Marvin,

The birthday bourbon IS all that! laugh.gif We can only hope for something as good or better this year. Hopefully in time for the festival!

Hello, Today I received my Reidel Bourbon Glasses. Washed them in hot suds dried them off and then poured a nice portion of Vanwinkle 13yr Rye. I first noticed a more pronounced boquet. It seems this glass has the ability to send it's boquet right to your nose. My first impressions on these bourbon glasse are very favorable. The 13yr Rye well it's always deleciuos regardless of what I drink it in. Tomorrow I plan to open another bottle of 16yt Hirsch and see what my new Borubon Glass says to me. Creggor..

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!