What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can understand that. If you like complexity, the Fox just doesn't have it like the other bourbons you mentioned. However, I like to have several different kinds of flavor profiles so I can match my mood and the season. I've just discovered the Fox recently and can't wait to try it in the summer. I think it will be a perfect match for hot evenings.

Yeah, I have to agree that it is not a complex bourbon by any means, but for its price and relative smoothness it still earns high marks in my book and gets my praise. smile.gif

--> Mark R.

Well, the price here isn't that great ($20). The Fox seems to me to be sort of like the J&B of bourbons - smooth and light. Its just not what grabs me. The taste is very nice, I am by no means saying there is anything objectionable about it. It is just not assertive enough.

Tim

Yeah see, I can get it for less than $17 at times. When I don't want that assertive of a bourbon (which isn't often but certain nights call for it), this is what I usually grab...

--> Mark R.

Van Winkle 107 10yr as I look at my bottle of Stagg with luck it will have 2 more beside it ..........mmmm life at its finest .

Bill G.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I am just lucky to have the one bottle , that in it's self is more than I ever thought even possible ....

Bill G.

Still doing snoopy's happy dance

I GOT STAGG >>>>I GOT STAGG<<<<<<<<<< grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Wathen's Single Barrel. Nice toasty notes warm what is hopefully the last of the cold winter nights. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg however make this a bourbon perfect for fall and winter enjoyment.

Ezra Brooks 15 yr Single Barrel... A very fine bourbon especially at the $18 price I paid with shipping. Nice sweet toffee notes and what a vanilla nose I get off of it, absolutely loving it! cool.gif

--> Mark R.

May I mention a rye in a thread that resides in the General Bourbon forum? I hope so.

Hirsch , Selection, Kentucky Rye Whiskey, 13 Years Old.

I started this afternoon with VWFR 13 year rye, which I once again found to be the best whiskey I’ve ever tasted. (However, I have yet to try it head-to-head with Wild Turkey 12 year old, my personal King of the Hill among bourbons.) That was reassuring because lately I’ve been disappointed with a couple of old favorites, including one from the Wild Turkey line.

The Hirsch is magnificent in its own right. The barrel influence is much stronger than in the Van Winkle, and it adds depth to the rye spice without subduing it. Where the VWFR sparkles and dances on the tongue, the Hirsh is rich and soothing, with a huge toffee/caramel finish that slowly fades to a dryness that demands another sip. (Can there be two bottlings with the title, “my favorite whiskey�) Where the VWFR reaches up and tickles my nose, the Hirsch causes me to inhale ever more deeply, straining to inhale as much of its subtle, sweet molasses, honey, and leather as I can get.

I bought this bottle as a Christmas present to myself at a nearby wine shop that has about a dozen American whiskeys in stock. I was only there to pick up shipping cartons for a couple of gift bottles of that other spirit, but while the clerk went to the back of the store to retrieve my mailers, I had a little time to kill. What sold me on this bottle was the Hirsch name plus the deepest mahogany color I’ve ever seen in an American whiskey. (Since this is a rye, I suppose it could have some added coloring. I hope that's not the case. I'd like to believe that this is its natural color.) It was a whopping $32.99, and I was buying it on faith, but like I said, I was in the Christmas spirit. I may never be able to afford another bottle, but I’m glad I have this one. (Dang! With the glass that I just poured, the level in the bottle is below the taper already. shocked.gif )

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Great review! I would like to know which distiller made this whiskey. Anyone know, or have an informed guess?

Cy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

(Can there be two bottlings with the title, “my favorite whiskey�)

On a wine and spirits store site it says the Hirsch brand name is owned by Preiss Imports of California. It says Preiss asked Van Winkle to supply the whiskey for the 13 year old Hirsch straight rye. And further, that the rye is from the same source as the Van Winkle 13 year old rye but from "different barrels". I believe henceforth Van Winkle will obtain its rye from Buffalo Trace but in the past the stock came from different sources and I think the Hirsch 13 year old bottling goes back a few years.

I have said earlier the current Van Winkle 13 year old struck me as somewhat different from the one on the market in past years (e.g. much more rye character), but this may be an impression and it is hard to say without the facts. Could it be that the current 13 year old (if indeed differently sourced than the original 13 year old) is a younger version of Sazerac rye? I don't know, all I know is these products are all top of the line, stunning in fact.

The value of the "merchant" system (Scottish term for independent bottlers selecting and selling whisky under their name) is that one gets a house flavor or approach reflecting the taste and standard of the owner. Van Winkle achieves a very high standard through its emphasis on well-aged, highest quality bourbons and ryes, they are a credit to the industry and no doubt stimulated greatly the quality segment.

Cy

That story is true Cy. I asked Julian about this at last year's Whiskies of the world expo, and he told me that (and I paraphrase) when he was done filling up his bottles, he used the remainder to fill up the Hirsch bottles.

The Hirsch rye is excellent in any event. I have difficulty finding the Van Winkle product around here, but the Hirsch is readily available.

I have a little sample bottle of Noah's Mill. I'm enjoying a wee bit of it this afternoon. Pretty nice, with quite a bit of caramel/honey flavors. Not bad.

Bob

Old Fitzgerald 1849. My somewhat luke-warm initial impression of this one has changed a bit. Tonight I am getting lots of yeasty wheat bread notes in the nose. It is somewhat medium-bodied on the palate with a medium-long finish. Lots of fruity-sweetness on the front end and a cinnamony spiciness on the back. Overall a decent pour, but I think I like the BIB best, and the price is better to boot.

Its bunko night at my house ( a dice game that the local wives play once a month) , so I'm out on the deck in the intermittent rain with a small fire going in the outdoor fire place. I finally came across Peychaud's Bitters, so tonight its Ancient Ancient Age Manhattans Up, a Pappy Van Winkle cigar (Dominican) and my favorite book to reread, The Double Helix. Life is good (But Damp) wink.gif

Ed,

Where did you find the PVW Cigars? Please post you impressions in the smokes forum, I am very interested.

I have just had a drink from my second bottle of Buffalo Trace. I must admit it is much improved over the first bottle. The first bottle had a musty or earthy flavor. Frankly it tasted like dirt. This is smooth soft and sweet. Very Good indeed. We owe kudos to the Buffalo Trace people. They produce a wonderful variety of whiskies in all price ranges and with many delicious characteristics.

I've mentioned the same thing in a previous post moons ago... Me and my friend both had a similar experience with bottles purchased a while back having the 'musty' taste to them you mentioned. But any new bottle I have had has been wonderfully superb.

--> Mark R.

Many of the bottle I get from BT have that similar earthy taste. I don't know if I would call what I have tasted "musty", but the taste is definately "down to earth" grin.gif Maybe they have changed locations of the barrels that they use for BT and that might explain the differences that you are describing?

I still get somewhat of an 'earthy' taste (and many other wonderful tastes!) in newly purchased bottles but in a bottle purchased 2-3 years ago there was a definate 'musty' taste. I would assume it was due to a location or some extreme circumstance that contributed to the mustiness.

--> Mark R.

When we were at Buffalo Trace in September, Ken Weber told us that they had gotten complaints from experienced drinkers of Ancient Age about the musty flavors. It seems that on a particular run they dumped only barrels from a certain house( nothing wrong with the house or the Bourbon there, I don't recall if he mentioned which one it was) only. Now they have a system in place whereby barrels from different houses are dumped to come up with the batch.

I bought my bottle at the distillery in 2001 and have enjoyed it immensely. It is one of my favorite pours. Tonight I have cracked my first bottle of Knob Creek...I updated the Tasting thread...basically, in essential agreement with Linn's nose and taste notes. However, I find it similar to EC12...am I crazy?

J W Dant distilled at Dsp113 ( now Buffalo Trace) bottled at Dsp 16 ( Stitzel Weller)

Well I've gone a little farther with this one. As far as I'm concerned it is IMHO better than Eagle Rare single barrel, and I even like it better than Weller 19. Honestly I think that if we all had a bottle of this that mileage would vary, I don't think we'd see a consensus like we did on OFBB and GTS. This is an Oldie but Goodie, inexpensive , 12.50and 14.something a 750ml and 1liter respectively. I need to get a DSP31 Dant and see how close the profile is. A good find , worth getting if you see it, don't drive a hundred miles for this one . grin.gif

The label on this bottling says The Dant Distillery Frankfort , Ky The DSP 31 says Dant Distillery Bardstown Ky.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!