What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Two Vin Diesel movies and AAA 10 yo, EWSB 1993, Woodford Reserve, and GTS. wink.gif Of course, after all that I fell asleep during XXX despite the constant action and noise. I have a home theater system with a 12" subwoofer that shakes the dang house. And I fell asleep during all of that. Thank you, GTS. grin.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike this is why my wife loves Buffalo Trace so much. She calls it "root cellar" as it reminds her of her late grandmother's root cellar and her carefree days as a child learning how to cook and can. - Linn

Okay, Bobby, I am going to try one of these (JW Dant). At least it is something I can get, locally. I don't know which DSP, though.

Tim

Searching for peanuts tonight--an OF scavenger hunt of sorts, brought on by Marvin's post that his BIB had no peanuts!! Scandalous. shocked.gif

One finger pours of Prime, 1849, and BIB, side by side, in identical Riedel SMs. So it's early, already--the two finger pours will come later. smile.gif The Prime has none of the caramel and peanuts, while both the 1849 and BIB trumpet them loudly. This bottle of BIB--the one I'm packing off to the gazebo in September--is the Cracker Jack of them all, however. It may be younger than the 1849, which has the caramel of the BIB, but the BIB has got those peanuts. I guess Marvin's just gonna have to join us at the gazebo in September! cool.gif

post-207-14489811168144_thumb.gif

Tonight it's ORVW 10yr 107 ....it is the first night of my weekend the last couple of weeks have been very good and that calls for a drop of the god's drink ....no I dare not open my bottle of Stagg yet ,,,,Soon I hope

Many Thanks to the members of this board for their kindness and help in raising my love and further understanding of Bourbon .....Thank You All

Bill G. grin.gif

Evan Williams Single Barrel '93. Nice smooth pour with hints of fruit and tobacco. Tonight I am getting more of a vanilla taste than I got for my tasting notes. I think I'll do a comparative tasting tomorrow night with the '91.

Jeff,

I got three directly from Julian. You can call him and he may have some stock left. I got some more when Liquor Barn bought out the Liquor Outlet. They appeared for about $3/each in the Beaumont Liquor Barn. I bought a bunch. Julian suggests them with his family rye and I find that a nice pairing. I'll post in the Smokes section some notes. Overall, a hearty, earthy smoke. Smooth for about the first third and then gets stronger till the end with a bit of mustiness.

Makes moderate amounts of rich, heady smoke. Worth the price, but not outstanding.

smirk.gif

Interesting.....I had my first bottle of Buffalo Trace last year. Who knows if it was from that particular barrelhouse? I didn't get any "musty" impressions from it but there were plenty of earthy, organic qualities that initially startled me. About halfway through the bottle, a little "oxidation mellowing" took effect and the bourbon seemed more rounded and sweet than at first. It went from being a "different" bourbon to a thoroughly enjoyable bourbon.

I hope these later bottles of BT start out the way that first bottle of mine finished: sweet and mellow with definite strains of green earth adding complexity.

-Troy

Yeah, me too. That one is cheap and easy to find. I've hesitated in front of it several times wondering if it was any different or better than the "Ten High's" of this world. Next time I'll grab one up. smile.gif

-Troy

last year when I was In toddy's store in Bardstown. He said that 'a lot of the boys at Jim Beam ' drank Old Bourbon Hollow bib, so i bought a bottle. Not one my favorites. However it is not bad and is really cheap. Has a great label too ,Anyone ever seen this stuff

Yeah Mike I have one and mine came from Toddy's also. Haven't opened it I bought it for the label.

Finished my last bottle of Evan Williams '90 tonight, boy was I sad to see it go. . . .now on to the search for a bottle of the '93.

Tom (the bourbon is dead, long live the bourbon!!) C

I just had a pour from my new bottle of Black Maple Hill 16 y.o. "limited edition". Man, is it good! Dark red color and a rich, flavorful taste.

Um...is it just me, or does anybody else think it's time to start another thread for this topic? Gittin' a bit looooong, dontcha' think? confused.gif

Maybe, "What are you drinking now? Volume III" or "WAYDN, the third season" grin.gif

Oh come on guys, just a Little longer until

What Are You Drinking This Moment?: The New Class!

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Quityurbitchin'! I'm drinkin' Blanton's. Just click on the last page. Quick and easy. No need to load up the whole thread. How many thread views between the original and the second coming? 10 grand? Great thread! Keep it coming. Now is anyone sober enough to pour??? confused.gif - Linn

Old Fitzgerald 1849.... and loving it!

Today I decided to go back to my JD old-fashioned glass, and I swear that this bourbon tastes twice as good as the last time I drank it. Heck, I even think it has some leftover Cracker Jacks and peanuts from the run that produced Chuck's bottle of OF BIB.

There's nothing fancy in this 1849, but is surely does taste good.

I guess I may have to make good on my long-ago promise to do some head-to-head testing with different glassware. Could it be that there's magic in my JD glasses and not in my more recent purchases?

I think I'll try to take a picture of the JD glass, before all of the gold wears away.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

post-105-14489811168982_thumb.jpg

Wild Turkey 101 from my Wild Turkey embossed shotglass. (I was planning to take a picture of it for you, but the camera is unavailable right now.)

I seem to be going through some sort of metamorphosis in regard to my taste for Wild Turkey products. I still find the 101 very appealing to the nose and the front of the palate, but the back of the palate and the finish is rougher and more bitter than I recalled. (Have I spoiled myself by drinking other bourbons with less oomph? Am I just now coming to my senses? Is anyone even reading this drivel?)

Let's see, over the past few days I've drunk George T. Stagg, Rare Breed, Old Fitz 1849, and Black Bush. The GTS and the RB certainly don't lack oomph, although the OF 1849 and the Irish possibly do.

Has anyone else suddenly discovered that an old favorite is not so favored any more?

Yours truly,

Dave "Thinking about our troops, but still enjoying life" Morefield

When I first got into bourbon a few years back, my first 'good' bourbon purchase was a bottle of Makers Mark. Before that I had really only had Jim Beam White and Jack Daniels. Then when I had Makers Mark, I was taken. That was what got me into the whole bourbon thing, and the craze I am now into! wink.gif

For quite some time after that I would always have the occasional pour of Makers, but now I must admit it's been a very long time since my last pour of it. After discovering so many more complex bourbons, Makers just doesn't cut it any more. Maybe though, I should go back and have a pour tonight since I owe it to makers for getting me involved in the best spirit out there! I think you are right in 2 areas Dave... The The GTS and the RB certainly don't lack oomph. It's probably such great bourbons as these that have spoiled us! smile.gif And secondly, you mentioned something about some irish stuff... That too could be one big problem in itself. wink.gif

--> Mark R.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Has anyone else suddenly discovered that an old favorite is not so favored any more?

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. It has been way too long since I have enjoyed a pour of this great stuff. Smooth and creamy vanilla/rasin flavor tonight. Supplies are dwindling, Danger Will Robinson, Danger frown.gif

Wasn't it Danger, Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! ? smirk.gif

Looks like an Internet search is in the cards. grin.gif

I goofed

I searched and found Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! and Danger, Will Robinson! and, of course, Jeff's Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!, but I could not find "Danger! Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!" I guess I will have to turn in my "Lost in Space" membership card.

For Your Enjoyment, Jeff

Italian sausage/mozzella/pepers for dinner tonight. That means bring out a SMMMMOOOOOOTHHHHHHH, sweet, candy bourbon. For dinner, it was the last of my Rare Breed bottle. grin.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!