What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bob,

I do get a good dose of rye flavor on the back-end, but without the tell-tale spicy kick on the finish. I think this is the first time I have drank the same bourbon for 3 straight nights exclusively since I have ammassed a decent "bunker". I must thank you again for bringing it to my attention laugh.gif

Jeff,

I'd have to say this year seems to be different from the rest, so it may be worth a try to you. I don't have any open other years to compare to right now, but I finished the 92 not too long ago. I can say that, in my opinion, the 92 was 'kicked up a notch' or bolder. The 93 seems to be a bit more mellow. Not that's it's a light bourbon just missing that certain citrus I got from last year. I hate to admit this, but even after years of drinking bourbon and reading tastings on here, I can't quite pull off what some of you guys do when it comes to picking out very specific flavors like black tea, specific fruits etc... I get the basic char, oak, vanilla, brown sugar, maple candy etc... In the end though, I'd say grab a bottle and see for yourself. Hell, I'd love to read your impressions anyways! smile.gif

-->Mark R.

Jeff,

You are most welcome. I thank you and everyone else here for many wonderful new bourbons to my attention. I guess that's one of the many benefits of this site! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Bob

OF 100 W/Coke about 75/25. Had some Fighting Cock first just to try it. I would have never bought a bottle but one of my golfing buds got some and said I should try it. Not too bad.

last night I had Four Roses Yellow Label. What there is there is quite good, but at 80 proof I just dont think there is quite enough of it!

TomC

Well, I've teetotaled 2 of the last 3 weeks (weekdays that is). Last night, to break the drought from the previous week (and 4 lb. loss), I enjoyed Buffalo Trace. One day, I will match it up against OF100 to determine my favorite daily pour.

Tonight, I started with OFBB. Folks, this bottling just doesn't tickle my fancy like it does you all. Maybe I need to match it up against OF 100 to see what the problem is.

For dinner, I had the old standby, Italian sausage, mozz. cheese, peppers, and onions. (Love that low-carb diet!) I graced it with the Fox. This the first time I've had the Fox since my first sampling a few weeks ago, the night after Stagg. This time, the Fox shone. It just needs to be away from robust, high proof bottlings so that its 90 proof silky smoothness can work its magic.

EC 12YO. I have yet to try the 18. I think this is perfect at 12. Must be the best value in the Bourbon world. elijah_Craig2001.jpg

Mine looks just like this but it's half full. grin.gif

post-205-14489811140405_thumb.jpg

Baker's -- in my Glencairn taster's glass -- with a glass of Arrowhead water by its side.

Lately, I have seldom been drinking while posting. The exception happened this time because I left a glass of Baker's sitting out overnight.

I had tried to do some reading last night, but I went to sleep after only a couple of pages (and after only a couple of unsatisfying sips). When I finally staggered off to bed, I neglected to attend to the nearly full glass of Baker's.

When I found it this afternoon, I almost dumped it. Then, recalling the stories about how an empty glass smells so good the morning after, I decided to take a sip. I was amazed to discover that it tasted better than it had last night.

That led to a fruitless search of StraightBourbon.com for others' reports on possible taste changes in overnight, leftover bourbon.

My comeuppance came when I decided to pour another glass, having finished the leftover one. I rinsed and dried the glass before refilling it, fully expecting the taste to revert back to what I rememberd from last night. I was wrong.

The more enjoyable taste of today was still there. In short, it was I who had changed overnight, not the glass of Baker's.

Now I am on my third glass, and I have decided that Baker's is what Jim Beam white label wants to be when it grows up -- not black label, not Knob Creek, not Booker's, and certainly not that 80 proof stuff named after Old Grand Dad, hisself. This bottle is about 80% gone, and I'm finally "getting it". Gee, I wonder if Binny's Beverage Depot still has it on sale at $23.99?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Weller 12yo. Tonight I tasted the 12yo against the Antique to try and detect any similarities. The 12 yo has the better, more rounded nose. The Antique smells "hot". The Antique has some of the caramel notes from the 12yo, but the acidic tannins quickly mount an assault on my taste buds that effectively prevents any further enjoyment. This stuff tastes like a Maker's Mark and Camphor cocktail tongue.gif The 12yo on the otherhand is smooth and refined. Makes me happy.

Well, I'll believe it when I taste it. wink.gif But you've done got me curious. I like the Antique but I'll keep an eye open for the 12 year. Maybe it'll pop up around here somewhere.

-Troy

Eagle Rare 10 yr. Not the single barrel, just the regular 10 year. But nice nevertheless! I'd say this is an excellent everyday pour. Nothing fancy but pleasant in it's own right.

-Troy

Wild Turkey 12yo. I am going to have to do a side-by-side with this one and KY spirit, as I can't really decide which is my favorite. Lots of rich creamy sweet vanilla and a little nuttiness tonight. Bringing a little life to my lifeless CAO L'Anniversaire Extreme cigar right now frown.gif

Stagg, What Else? In a Woodford Reserve tumbler no less. grin.gif

With that same Woodford Reserve Tumbler, Later that same day...... Old Forester Birthday Bourbon... And it is Very Fine, Very Fine Indeed. Even Ol' George couldn't upset this apple cart! grin.gif

Rosemont Estates 1998 Cabernet Savignon. Nice full bodied red with cherry and soily earth tones. Medium finish with just a little oak on the back end. Overall a nice cabernet for under $10.

Oops, wrong board grin.gifgrin.gif

I started with a little ETL and have since moved on to weller 12yo. Got bunches of that "green earth" BT taste from the elmer, but sweet and smooth candy corn and molasses from the Weller. For at least tonight, Weller is king wink.gif

WT 12 yo. I am starting to like this more and more. I am halfway through my first bottle (a trade with rwilps for a bottle of GTS). The signature WT peppery taste is subdued and the sweet fruit flavor is more pronounced tonight.

I looked at Jeff's tasting notes on this bottling. I do pick up the cherry flavored tobacco, though to me it is a subtle cherry without any tobacco. I pick up the fruit on the tongue that he mentions, but I can't separate them into individual fruits.

Jeff's got quite a way with picking out the smells and tastes. It amazes me how he and others can do this. But, as I've said before, I have no ambition to develop my senses that deeply. If what I am drinking tastes good and fits my mood, then I am a happy camper. smile.gif

Good thing I have one more bottle of WT 12 yo waiting for me, picked up by my sister.

That WT12 is a pretty good one , CL. If you need any Ky Spirit with the pewter stopper , I know where a few of them are. ( Close to your sister , that is) grin.gif

I think I have reached the saturation point with my better half. frown.gif The good news, though, is that I've slowed my intake, so that my current supply is lasting much longer. smile.gif

However, today I ordered 4 bottles of GTS for a member here and some coworkers to pick up during my upcoming trip to WV. You know, I just had to round off the order to an even two cases. wink.gif I'm hoping I can sneek the extra two bottles into the stash right along side the others without her noticing. shocked.gif

Virginia Gentleman 90, The Fox.

This is a pretty good pour, but for the price, I doubt that I'll buy it again. For less money, I can get WT101, Old Forester 100, or Elijah Craig 12-yr. All of those are more interesting, to me.

Tim

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!