What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fighting Cock, 6 year old.

I must say, this bourbon isn't bad. Less pepper than WT101, and its on special in NC for $12 a bottle.

You can taste the Heaven Hill, but its warmer than EWSB 92, less char/smoke than EC18. good stuff. A tad short on the finish though.

Old Fitz 1849 and Old Fitz 12 yo. I finished off the remnants of both bottles tonight. And last night I finished off the Old Fitz BIB. (There wasn't alot left in any of the bottles.) Gotta make room for the 1.75L of Buffalo Trace I am picking up this week at my parents'.

I really like the 1849 - so silky smooth, so easy to drink. The 12 yo is a different story. A couple months ago, I was disappointed with the 12 yo because I was expecting a better 1849. Well, it isn't in the same flavor category as the 1849. The 12 yo is much more complex and takes alot more effort to appreciate. The 1849 is, well, bourbon candy. No effort required, just sip and enjoy. The 12 yo makes you think to appreciate it. If I find it again, I will give it another shot and give it a more fair appraisal. But, I will definitely buy more 1849 next time I am in KY.

Jeff,

The ice makes a big difference in the Stagg. I prefer it. I've read several posts claiming this is blasphemy but will stick by my guns. If you haven't tried it, don't beat up on it. This is a different (and IMHO better) bourbon on the rocks.

My first bottle of Stagg was neat all the way. But, I'll have to put your theory to the test tomorrow night when I encounter my second bottle.

I am heading to my parents' in WV where I have accumulated a stash from many sources (WV stores, KY stores, and Sam's in Chicago who won't ship to NC.) I've been looking forward to this trip for weeks!

I am sipping Old Grand Dad 114, straight. This is one beautiful bourbon. Excellent taste and aroma with a super spicy finish.

I could no longer name a top five. I would probably even have trouble narrowing it to a top ten. While this OGD 114 is one of my favorites, it would be easy to name 8 or 10 others I like just as much. This is the good life.

Tim

AAA 10yo with 2 ice cubes. I think this one benefits froma little ice. A good all-around bourbon thats easy to drink. One of my three "everyday pours".

Kentucky Tavern, on ice. Trying to finish up this half pint is becoming more of a chore than I would have imagined. It really doesn't resemble any of the other wheaters that I enjoy. Almost as spicy as a rye bourbon, with strong yeast influences and a slight medicinal taste. Very thin with a somewhat foul aftertaste that lingers way too long. I don't think I would even use this one to cook with, and it would never touch my bourbon balls. Note to self: save the rest for that special friend who "loves" bourbon...in coke grin.gif

"This moment", you ask? It's Jefferson Reserve. You see, a bit earlier this afternoon, as I was composing my "Wild Turkey 101 vs. Old Forester BIB" post in the Tasting forum, I drank a shot of George T. Stagg.

For some reason it tasted even better than it did the three or four previous times I've sipped it. That caused me to wonder whether my taster was in a charitable mood this afternoon. I recalled that I had been disappointed with JR the two previous times I had tasted it. I thought that in my present frame of mind I might find it more to my liking.

I ate a couple of crackers and drank a glass of water; then I rinsed and dried my Wild Turkey shot glass and poured an ounce of Jefferson's Reserve. This is certainly not a bad bourbon (I may try to do a more detailed tasting when I'm about half-way through this bottle), but I'm sure glad it was on sale when I bought it. Even at that sale price ($41.99, IIRC) I consider it to be over-priced.

It has a nice nose that suggests French toast, a touch of ripe pear appears on the palate, and it goes down really smoothly. However, the finish leaves my mouth and lips feeling as dry as autumn leaves. I like a bit of dryness at the finish, but this one goes too far. Overall, I expect more enjoyment and no dischordant notes at such a high price.

While I'm picking nits, I'll also comment on the bottle, even though I think it is quite beautiful. (Its photo on the main page at StraightBourbon.com makes me thirsty just looking at it.) Its beauty notwithstanding, the hollow, glass stopper feels as light and flimsy as the Kentucky Spirit stopper feels heavy and robust. I was afraid it might break if I set it on the counter too hard. (So much for my being in a charitable mood, eh? grin.gif )

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

B'B'D, Nice choice on the JR! This is a Top 5 for me, I choose the Knob Creek tonight, as my JR bottle is verrrry low. frown.gif I will follow up with another glass of the KC, or perhaps "The Stagg". grin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I'm not sure if I have properly conveyed what I think of GT Stagg. I must say this, on the few times that I have followed it with any other Bourbon the end result has been disappointing indeed. On the up side ( if there is one) I suppose I should do them all that way and in the event that I am not disappointed then I will have found an extrordinary Bourbon. smirk.gif

I hear ya! That happened to me last week. I had the Fox the night after GTS. GTS ruins it for everybody else. You need to get it long out of your taste bud memories so that you can enjoy your other bourbons.

In honor of Julian's return to the forum I am having an ORVW 10yo 107proof. Just as wonderful as ever, but with a little more kick this time out. I suppose it is because I haven't eaten in a while. Good to know that this is the same bourbon as the Old Commonwealth. Thought for a minute I was going to have to spend some more time tracking down yet another limited edition. Can't wait for tax-refund time and that bottle of Pappy grin.gif

Tonight I am on the cheap. W L Weller 7 YO. Not bad though. I'm sure the third will be better than the first.

If you haven't read my ramblings elsewhere here (late) tonight, I have partaken in WT 12 yo (through a trade - THANKS) and followed it up with, uh, what is that stuff I like so much, some antler thingy. wink.gif

I considered many bottles and fretted that most are half empty...so, not wanting to drain the best even lower...I went 180 degrees and picked something from across the pond. However, realizing bourbon is to be drunk (Linn), I have grabbed a small pour of KS to finish the night..as inspired by Bob..good call!

Jono,

As many of us here think that KS is a great bourbon, I'm glad that I was able to contribute to your inspiration to enjoy KS! It's always great!

Bob

As I peruse the February 2003 issue of The Bourbon Country Reader , I am drinking Corner Creek while reading the lead article, coincidentally (or not) titled, "REVIEW: Corner Creek Reserve Bourbon Whiskey", by Charles Kendrick Cowdery (as are all the articles in this issue of this six-times-a-year publication).

[Comments regarding Corner Creek moved to "Tasting" forum.]

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Elmer T Lee single barrel. Very familiar taste profile here, like many of the BT bourbons. Lots of licorice in the nose, which has been a constant for me with this bourbon, but tonight I am getting a little cotton candy, or maybe it's toasted marshmallows, on the palate. Not quite as much burn either.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

or maybe it's toasted marshmallows

Bulleit Bourbon. Pulled this one from the back of my stash, haven't had any in several months. Medium-bodied with a slight medicinal taste. Hay and Camphor. Not quite what I remember, but nothing really sounded all that good tonight. I think I am feeling blah from the weather. I think I will put this one back in the back and wait until summer for another try.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!