What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We are a couple of days into Autumn and this morning here in MI it feels like it so let's kick off a new thread for the season.

Not drinking any bourbon this morning but I plan to this afternoon, it's been eight days since I had a sip so I am already thinking about what to open.

I'm leaning towards Old Weller Antique 107 Cork 'N Bottle selection but the question is should I go for their #39 or #40 bottle?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Went out to dinner with friends last night. We tried a new Mexican place. Had a couple of kick ass margaritas with dinner. We then went over to our friend's house for a while. Had some Beam Black and Coke while sitting around a blazing fire pit. Good times. :grin: Joe

After taking just a little taste when it arrived, a larger pour of Weller 12 was in order last night. Hmmmm.... Perhaps I should have purchased more.

Working on some tastes of 17yr old juice. The nose on this juice is bold. So much brown sugar and candied spices. The taste has that feeling of an old time candy shop where they are making the fudge fresh. Raw vanilla and sugars cooking into a wonderful dish. Best taken in small sips/bites to allow for the complexity to coat the tongue and bring forth the chef’s intentions. Finish is long and morphing from brown sugar to raw vanilla with a touch of a dryer oak that leaves the mouth feeling fresh ready for the next tender morsel.

I was also enjoying a few pours around the fire yesterday evening. I had anything from Saz and VWFRR to Old Charter 7 and Dickel #8 and some ORVW 10/107. It was a fine fall evening with some fine whiskey.

Well, the first was so much fun, I thought I would pour another for some fun. Hell, its after noon and a late start for my Brotha’ OH. The nose on this one is strait vanilla from the outset of the pour. Some good swirls bring in the molasses to make the brown sugar that begins to dominate. Swirling this baby brings more of the vanilla forward. Whoo baby I would like to crawl in to this glass (or a tub of it). At 133ish proof, the alc is just the platform that brings that beautiful nose to the rim of the glass. A couple min in now and there is some dryer oak that feels appealing to rather that a deterrent. Mmmm… that dryness in the oak gives a taste of milk chocolate in the taste followed by the vanilla and brown sugar. This likes to run around my mouth. Creamy almost hiding all of the proof… and the finish has some simi sweet to mild flow that gives way to the brown sugar and then the burn vanilla sugar crystals of a classic wheater that I love so much. Yup, I like it.

Doing a bit of afternoon sipping with a revisit to a 17yo Willets wheater that has now been open for a bit. Coming in at 135.5 proof it is a caramel bomb witha rich velvet mouth feel. Big proof, low heat... a very dangerous combination. This bottle is the 8th in the 17yo wheater lineup I have tasted and clearly falls among the best.. top notch juice that is far to easy to drink.....

post-1354-14489816946348_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816946782_thumb.jpg

Tonight I'm enjoying some Binny's OBSK with one ice cube (a serving suggestion from Tony). Damn this is good. I think its as good as the 120th anniversary bottle. But what do I know?

Yesterday Old Weller Antique 107 C 'n B selection #39.

I had mine neat but tried something my wife came up with, Bourbon Champagne Cocktail.

Make simple syrup, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 vanilla bean pod.

Had no beans so we added a 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Pour into a chilled champagne flute a shot bourbon, 2 tablespoons of the vanilla syrup mix and fill to the top with champagne.

It was awful, way to much vanilla, the bourbon and champage just did not mix well or should I say compliment each other.

My wife had 3 she liked it, I had several OWA's neat.

Tonight I'm enjoying some Binny's OBSK with one ice cube (a serving suggestion from Tony). Damn this is good. I think its as good as the 120th anniversary bottle. But what do I know?

Josh, sounds like a great bottle.... what proof is it and what was the distill date? Thanks

Went to a tasting at the Party Source that featured all ten of the FR SB variants. Finished the evening with a healthy pour of 2009 FR Mariage.

Sounds like you know the roses. I love that bottle.

Josh, sounds like a great bottle.... what proof is it and what was the distill date? Thanks

To butt in an answer, it was distilled 4-23-99, 121.2prf.

These Binny's bottles are absolutley the best you can get.

The OBSK (also used for the 1B 120th LE) and the OESO, 2-10-99 116.6 (also used for the 1B 40th LE) are what I like to call polar opposites and a couple of my all time favorites.

Went to a tasting at the Party Source that featured all ten of the FR SB variants. Finished the evening with a healthy pour of 2009 FR Mariage.

Yes, '09 Mariage is a great way to finish or start an evening.

Sounds like you know the roses. I love that bottle.

To butt in an answer, it was distilled 4-23-99, 121.2prf.

These Binny's bottles are absolutley the best you can get.

The OBSK (also used for the 1B 120th LE) and the OESO, 2-10-99 116.6 (also used for the 1B 40th LE) are what I like to call polar opposites and a couple of my all time favorites.

Yes, '09 Mariage is a great way to finish or start an evening.

Oscar, I appreciate the input as we will be there this week tasting barrels and I am partial to the OBSK... especially anything that approaches the 120th taste and style. Thanks....

A little RITT BIB with some football.

This bottle is nice and spicy and I'm not getting any of the green apple I got from previous purchases.

I'm not getting any of the green apple I got from previous purchases.

Is that a good thing?

I would think some green apple would be good.

Yeah, green apple isn't bad but my suspect memory is telling me that the green apple bottlings were not as spicy as this one is.

Right now, I'm liking the spice more than the extra dimension of the flavor.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!