What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had Rittenhouse BIB before dinner and VWFRR-K and WRMCSO after. All tasted splendid. It was a wile since I had any older rye and it really seemed high time for this one that I took out of the bunker last night.

Leif

WTKS... 2008 bottling that is very good... rich, sweet front end, good spice, nice complexity and balance.... one of the better WTKS I have had as of late.....

Hitting a little 17yr Old Willett 107 proof. What a mouth feel. There is so much in this that it is hard to describe. Everything you want out of a good bourbon. Cream, vanilla, balance, long complex finish and no burn. One hell of a good juice.... makes me want to go into the distillation biz....

1) Was this bottled at 107, or 2) did you bring one down to 107?

If 1) Where the hell did it come from?:skep:

If 2) Which one did you water down?

Hit the '08 PHC last night and sat out on the deck watching football. I'm glad I still have half a bottle of this left which I've been nursing along, one or two pours at a time to make it last.

A bottle of Old Charter 8 from a while ago. I don't really know how long, but it has a worn away tax strip on it that I believe is fake due to the plastic cap.

It's good. Real oily and buttery.

Getting into another Willets 17 yo wheater this evening from a friend who picked this barrel. This one is a 137.6 variation which exhibits beautiful color and a luscious nose of candy apple, vanilla and kettle corn... one that you can just smell all night and never taste. To the palate it is a bit hotter and drier than others I have tasted. A creme brulee crust type sweetness on the front end that hangs on until mid palate and then drifts off fairly quickly. A decent finish of dried fruit and wood. One of the more interesting variations in that the mouth feel is a bit more cleansing than coating and the sweet entry transitions fairly quickly.

I played with a bit of water but could not find a good sweet spot that dropped the heat and held the flavor..... one of the interesting aspects of this run of barrels..... most are very appealing at barrel proof but don't handle water well.

post-1354-14489816949667_thumb.jpg

Working on a 23 yr barrel strength Rye - "Rathskeller" - the house Rye for the Seelbach Hotel.

Probably from the same batch of juice Vintage 23 and BMH Rye come from but a single barrel at barrel strength.

Magic Juice. Crazy Good.

As always, thoroughly enjoying an awesome pour of OGD 114, while as always, thoroughly enjoying watching "Caddyshack" for the probably the 114th time, on the Golf Channel.

I switched to some homemade BourEye. Equal parts Ritt BIB and Weller 107.

It's working out just fine and is an excellent accompaniment to watching some Mr. Kenny Powers.

I had ETL before dinner last night, ORVW 10/107 2002 with the hazelnut cake for dessert and OGD 114 1981 as a night cap. The BT brand came out real short in this company for sure.

Leif

I had ETL before dinner last night, ORVW 10/107 2002 with the hazelnut cake for dessert and OGD 114 1981 as a night cap. The BT brand came out real short in this company for sure.

Leif

Is that the same kind of cake that you served my brother and I with a delicious pour of ORVW15?

Is that the same kind of cake that you served my brother and I with a delicious pour of ORVW15?

Yes it is Jake and I would say that this 10 year bottle is as least as good as the 15, if not better. By the way. I have seen that you have become a very successful dusty hunter.

Leif

Had a healthy pour of WT12 CGF last night and absolutely loved it. I found this bottle over a year ago and have only had two pours of it in an effort to make it last. There's a small date mark on it (12/04/91) and luckily the cork is still intact, as others have reported having an issue with CGF corks. The juice has a beautiful mouth-coating texture and displays a perfect balance of sweet and spice, which is why I love Wild Turkey products so much. I followed the CGF with a small pour of WT101 which was also tasty but thinner and slightly hotter, "like my women," as my friend always says.:lol:

The weather has finally cooled off some, here. So, late yesterday afternoon, I went out on my deck with a good book (Caesar by Colleen McCollough) and a large pour of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel BIB. It was wonderful!

Tim

Oscar, If I didn't have to meet a series of potential clients in less than an hour, I would use this as justification to have a couple of sips.

Enjoy your afternoon.

The weather has finally cooled off some, here. So, late yesterday afternoon, I went out on my deck with a good book (Caesar by Colleen McCollough) and a large pour of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel BIB. It was wonderful!

Tim

:smiley_acbt:

Had a healthy pour of WT12 CGF last night and absolutely loved it. I found this bottle over a year ago and have only had two pours of it in an effort to make it last. There's a small date mark on it (12/04/91) and luckily the cork is still intact, as others have reported having an issue with CGF corks. The juice has a beautiful mouth-coating texture and displays a perfect balance of sweet and spice, which is why I love Wild Turkey products so much. I followed the CGF with a small pour of WT101 which was also tasty but thinner and slightly hotter, "like my women," as my friend always says.:lol:

I have just recently finished my first and only bottle of WT 12 gold folio (I think that is what you mean) and I did like it to. I found it to be in the smooth spectrum of WT and the dominating flavour (not at all overpowering) to be honey.

Leif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!